OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Looping and injury
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2016, 14:40 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
iskandar taib wrote:
Hmmm... I'd never heard of this before, so I looked it up. Yup, it's an Australian thing.. :lol:

http://elmoreoil.com.au/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmore,_Victoria

Can't say I've seen it for sale around here, but it doesn't sound like it'd be hard to make if you can't buy it (eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, vanilla and olive oil).

(I suppose no one's tried to boost rubber with it yet.... ? :lol: )

Iskandar

I wouldn't even try to make it living in Australia Isk. The ingredients are easy t come by, but they are not cheap. It would probably cost around $20 to make what you can buy for what costs $30 in the Elmore Oil bottle. The thing is though, not only do they combine the right amounts in the bottle, but they treat the ingredients differently to what you'd buy them separately. So you might spend your $20 and get a product that doesn't work as well, or might not work at all.

We had an agent for Elmore's comment on the forum a year or so ago....he was selling it in America!

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2016, 22:17 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
As a rule, always take some time to record some of your practice and post it on YouTube even if only as an unlisted or private video. That way, you have it saved and can share it with people who are evaluating your stroke. You can also see yourself and get an idea of what you are doing and what you need to change. Without feedback, people do dangerous strokes for way too long.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2016, 09:59 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
NextLevel wrote:
As a rule, always take some time to record some of your practice and post it on YouTube even if only as an unlisted or private video. That way, you have it saved and can share it with people who are evaluating your stroke. You can also see yourself and get an idea of what you are doing and what you need to change. Without feedback, people do dangerous strokes for way too long.

Yes, you're right. I was tinkering about with this or that old camera, and didn't get around to recording myself in a match before the injury.

I've since recorded my teammates in 2 pennant rounds using a Sony Action Cam that I'd bought for bicycling a couple of years ago, but never used because of the CBF factor! So the setup is now ready for my return to match play.

This is me doing some FH loop against robot backspin early last month. I'd been consciously trying to improve my form on this for about 2 months, but the whole motion still felt very unnatural to me, because my FH habit was to flat hit. So it is kind of embarrassing to watch ("Which one is the robot?" etc :oops: ).

My aggressive loop is different from this again, I think with more sidespin – I'll record that once I get the all-clear to resume full strokes. FH looping does feel slightly more natural to me now that I've been concentrating on it and visualising it more. Before, and I guess this may seem odd, it was difficult to visualise myself FH looping in the way that I could easily visualise myself doing a BH flick, for example. There was just a mental block.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 15:31 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

I don't see too much that should do you damage there Hangdog. But I think, as is the case with many, your stroke against the robot is more controlled than your stroke in real matches. If I recall, when you had a hit against me your strokes were not this controlled. With the robot you know what you are getting and where to stand. With a person, there is adjustments needed all over the place and if your feet don't cover them off mostly its left up to your body and arm to do it. I'd say that's where you're getting yourself into trouble, but I'm only going on memory of a few hits with you and the rest if guesswork.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 16:55 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
If I recall, when you had a hit against me your strokes were not this controlled.

Ha ha, that's a very diplomatic way of putting it! :lol: Yes, it's true. Changing from a FH hitter to a looper is the hardest thing I've tried to learn in TT so far (er…other than giving myself tennis elbow from trying to learn the reverse pendulum serve last year). So many moving parts and large movements to coordinate.

The increased awareness and precision required from practising the FH loop has improved my hitting consistency, too. But I do have to get to the point where the technique becomes ingrained enough not to fall apart when I also have to move my feet.

PostPosted: 04 May 2016, 22:38 
Super User

I had some limited match play last Thursday and was still slightly sore, but not in a "re-injured myself sore" sort of way.

Did a 2 hour coaching session on Saturday with forehand LP blocking only (OK, plus a very very few FH LP smashes, when they got too tempting), and unrestricted BH play.

Saw the physio again this Monday morning, 3 weeks after the injury, and he gave me provisional clearance to play. But he asked me to consider if I would be willing to forfeit my remaining matches if I was too sore after 1 or 2 matches. So that night I had a short hit with my teammates (again with FH LP blocking, rather than FH inverted), but voluntarily sat out the entire match while our emergency player took my place.

Got a call to fill in tonight and played inverted and unrestricted on both sides, with not even a twinge. So I'm relieved at how this has turned out, and will avoid training through excessive discomfort in future.

PostPosted: 04 May 2016, 23:57 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

So, does this mean you're ready for a re-match with me? :P :lol:

PostPosted: 05 May 2016, 07:35 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
So, does this mean you're ready for a re-match with me? :P :lol:

I dunno Reb, I did say I wouldn't subject myself to "excessive discomfort"! :D

…Of course I'm happy to have a hit! :up:

PostPosted: 15 May 2016, 06:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Repetitive use injuries are no fun.

Rest.

After that you need to change the way you are trying to make that shot.