OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Do you wear glasses when you play table tennis?
Yes: I couldn't see enough without them. 52%  52%  [ 15 ]
Yes: I *could* play without them, but I prefer to wear them. 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
No: I wear glasses, but don't need them to play. (Could be mild eyesight problems or just need reading glasses, etc.) 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
No: I don't wear glasses at all. 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Sometimes: I wear glasses, and play with them on sometimes, and off sometimes. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 29
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 04:43 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
For me, I used to be fine with contacts, and then i think I developed an inflamatory response to them about 5 years ago. I get extreme dry eye (even with rewetting drops), extreme redness, and they also move as I mentioned. Tried all sorts of brands, types, cleaning solutions, some with moisture built in, some with porous breathable membranes, etc etc. Optometrists finally said, don't wear them any more.

When I was single and out hunting for the ladies, I wore them to look my sexiest. Thanksfully, when you're this gorgeous, glasses don't matter. :lol:

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 06:03 

hangdog wrote:
Def-attack wrote:
since I got progressive glasses.

How are the progressive lenses when playing TT? I've been thinking of switching instead of having "normal" glasses and reading glasses, but progressive lenses seemed to be hard to live with. I'm hoping someone will persuade me otherwise.

Progressives I would think is a must to play TT if you have this issue of far and near? Bifocals would be too much of an abrupt change right?

Hangdog - just curious when you said progressive lenses would be hard to live with; why?

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 06:43 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
PRW wrote:
Musicfreak0 wrote:
My situation: I got glasses a month or two ago. I'm slightly short-sighted...... I don't see much of an advantage, as I can see clearly enough without them to play....

Musicfreak0 - what strength are your eyes?

I think I'm about -1 (might be -1.5 in left eye). Not too bad, anyway - after all, I can see well enough to play without them! I can't quite make out the scoreboard when I'm watching a match, though.

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 07:05 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
I have just restarted playing after a short break (45 years), and I have found that my varifocal (the same thing as progressive?) glasses are a problem. When I first got them, I found myself tripping over curbs and feeling dizzy, but no longer. However the focus change when playing seems very distracting, so I am playing without currently. Everything is a little fuzzy, but no so much that it outweighs the benefit of not wearing glasses. I also have astigmatism in one eye, but my brain seems to compensate for that.

I may try daily contacts; some opticians will give you a couple of weeks free trial.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 07:21 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
ZeroZero wrote:
Progressives I would think is a must to play TT if you have this issue of far and near? Bifocals would be too much of an abrupt change right?

Hangdog - just curious when you said progressive lenses would be hard to live with; why?

I haven't used them myself, but I think it is the matter of having to adjust where you look (straight for far away, down for near) – I casually asked an optometrist one time when I was getting some cheapie spare specs* while my good frames were being repaired, and was told that while many people do adjust to progressives, for others the adjustment is more bothersome than using two sets of glasses.

*BTW I bought my cheapie spares without anti-glare coating on the lenses, in order to ensure that they remained very cheap. Big mistake! Distracting reflections galore. Anti-glare for everything in future…

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 07:55 
I am Legend
I am Legend

fleetwood999 wrote:
PRW wrote:
fleetwood999 wrote:

The problem for me is that contacts shift around off center and get dusty and uncomfortable requiring drops or to be taken out and cleaned. So it's a trade off, better vision for a while, but not really long enough for a whole tournament without messing around.

even with Daily contacts? I switched to contacts when I used to play football/ soccer, as I kept having the nose pads rammed into my nose... :)
When I play at home, I wear glasses, but for tournaments/ league, always daily contacts.

I tried most of the variations that came out. The last ones I had were weekly ones and never were comfortable for me for more than a couple hours. Your eyes get dryer as you get older so it eventually becomes more hassle than it's worth.
I won't try them again since I use the glasses now to also protect my eye from getting hit.

I had a few types but these days I use daily high moisture ones - similar problem to you. I have dry eyes and my contacts tend to become uncomfortable after 4 hrs. I find that a tiny bit of regular eyedrop (eg, gentear) works for another 2 hrs.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 08:29 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
Musicfreak0 wrote:
I think I'm about -1 (might be -1.5 in left eye). Not too bad, anyway - after all, I can see well enough to play without them! I can't quite make out the scoreboard when I'm watching a match, though.

that's not too bad. It will probably get worse as you get older, then settle in your 30's and 40's, and then start to improve in your 50's as the eye becomes less flexible (at least, that's what happened to me). Went from around -1.00 when at school, to -2.5 at my worst, now back at -1.75!

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2016, 17:45 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I wear glasses to play these days. I resisted for a while when I first got them, but eventually I found it was easier to see the ball coming from the opponent (even though when it gets to me its harder to see). I'm a little short-sighted these days, but if I focus outwardly for a long time I can probably adjust my eyes well enough to see the ball without the glasses. But its slightly blurry still, so glasses just makes it easier. They fog up occasionally, but not enough to be a great problem. I just give them a wipe on the towel between sets.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2016, 19:27 

Several month of testing, without, with...I wear glasses for a short-sightedness.
Now it is clear ;) I play better without.
With glass, better comfort but I miss several balls during the play for bad timing when the balls go fast. Same thing with the serve, bad contact.
I think everbod should test to play without glasses, several times, and see by himself.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2016, 20:46 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
I'm short-sighted and couldn't contemplate playing without some form of correction. My prescription is now about -3.5 in both eyes. I've never tried contacts and until recently playing in glasses has never been an issue for me as they never fogged and stayed on my head very well without a strap. However my latest prescription is a little stronger and as I approach 50 my near vision isn't what it was, and I am struggling a little adjusting to them. I'm contemplating a pair of intermediates.

185g

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2016, 20:57 
Super User

Blade: AfroBro Custom
FH: Rasanter R53
BH: Vega X
I had worn contact lenses for many years, but last year I started to find them really uncomfortable after a few hours of wear and I was getting headaches quite often. I went to see my optician and he found that the muscles in my right eye are weakening. So this causes the eye to struggle when focusing, very noticeable after I blink. So when wearing contacts, I blink, the contacts move, my eye fidgets around trying to focus, which keeps the contact moving around too, and it takes ages for things to settle. Tricky during a point, and probably the cause of the headaches. He suggested avoiding the contacts from now on (I still wear them for swimming, but that's it).

So I switched to glasses for playing. I tried my regular glasses and felt much more comfortable, but they've got very narrow lenses and aren't designed for sport (frames are quite loose and unsecured). My prescription is pretty high (-4.75 in each eye, short sighted only). I saw Daniel Habesohn wearing some Adidas Adivista frames when playing last year (he doesn't use them any more though), so I had some lenses made to fit those same frames.

The lenses are 1.67 index (super thin) and aspheric. This means that they are highly curved around the eye and have a variable strength depending on how far from the optical centre you are. This means that the lenses are very thick at the outside edge but are still quite thin in the middle. I was right on the limit of what could be achieved with these frames and the lens technology. But the outcome was excellent, and I've used them for playing ever since.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2016, 22:49 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
I wear glasses. My eyes have different perscription strengths which I'm not saying on an open forum ;) but one has a much thicker lens than the other. In my experience I've learned to

1. Get a thin light frame
2. Get glasses with the biggest lens size possible (my eyes move faster than my head and I don't want to be looking at the ball over the top of some narrow supper trendy frames which are useless for sport
3. have anti-glare
4. I select the "thinner lens option" to keep the weight down.

This is the frames here

https://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/glasses ... CA30000794

I got them as a deal (2 for one) from this a place in the UK called Glasses Direct (no I'm not on commission ;) )

They aren't really fashionable because they are "big frames" but I like them for sport.

At our centre they've recently replaced the lighting. Over the tables you're now looking at 500+lux and it can get up to over 600 depending on where you stand in relation to the lighting. Even with anti-glare I'm still getting reflexions on the lens sometimes. I've considered wearing a cap but when I tried it just didn't "feel right" and when you're playing table tennis you need to be comfy/happy in what you're wearing or you'll get distracted.

The biggest problem I have is that lens's tend to be fixed to work for a certain range of distance. When you play table tennis the ball is sometimes a long way away and sometimes very close. When it's very close (and people say watch the ball on to the bat) I can't focus properly. As a result when the ball is travelling at speed I generally don't even bother trying to watch the ball once it crosses on to my side of the table which can be a real problem if people play with lots of side spin (tip: if you're playing someone who wears glasses try using side spin against them rather than simple top or back spin)

As for steaming or fogging up, thankfully our venue is air conditioned at a steady 19 degrees C so the only time that happens is if I'm breathing heavy and steam them up myself because of my breathe.

There are times when I consider playing without glasses and I probably could get by but it's now second nature to put them on for playing sport where the ball will be more than 9 feet away from me at any given time. If I'm playing socially I may try again without them.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 21:35 
Super User

Interesting - I can see where I fit in with this quite clearly now! :lol:
I just thought, does putting my glasses back on before a maths test count as re-vision? :^)

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2016, 18:26 
Super User

Groucho glasses: high "deception" - much more confusing for an opponent than LP! Guaranteed to distract the opponent enough to win free points!

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2016, 20:47 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
For when your opponent plays a boring game ...

|-) |-) |-) |-) |-)

185g