OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2019, 03:39 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
iskandar taib wrote:
I'm still wondering if it's legal to play with two bats, one in each hand... :lol: No one's showed me any rule that says otherwise, though I don't doubt Igor will, sooner or later...

The only relevant rules I can see are
Quote:
2.05.05 The racket hand is the hand carrying the racket.
2.05.06 The free hand is the hand not carrying the racket.

However, no rule seems to say that a player's got to have no more than one racket hand. ;)

Although... does the wording "is the hand carrying the racket" imply that there's only one hand ("the hand") that carries a racket? English grammar question.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2019, 18:18 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

iskandar taib wrote:
I'm still wondering if it's legal to play with two bats, one in each hand... :lol:

The laws mention "the racket" in singular many times, which may be taken to imply that there should be only one for each player. Not conclusive, though.

You could say that alternating between rackets is the same as changing which racket is in play. This makes it difficult to comply with rule 2.4.8:
At the start of a match and whenever he changes his racket during a match a player shall show his opponent and the umpire the racket he is about to use and shall allow them to examine it.
Still, not conclusive.

You would have trouble serving legally. Two racket hands means zero free hands, unless you have an unusual anatomy.
2.6.1 Service shall start with the ball resting freely on the open palm of the server's stationary free hand.

So, you would probably be playing borderline, in more ways than one :P

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2019, 19:41 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
A player playing with 2 rackets could hold both in the same hand while serving.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2019, 21:10 
Super User

LOOPOVER wrote:
A player playing with 2 rackets could hold both in the same hand while serving.

Or put one of the rackets on the table. It isn't forbidden to put a racket on the table, is it?

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2019, 05:01 
Super User

One guy aspiring to be a high level umpire, said there is something in the equipment section referring to not using 2 paddles. I couldn't find anything but I might have missed it.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2019, 21:07 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Or I guess you could use one racket when serving and two when receiving... Still even more borderline.

That Egyptian guy with no arms, who plays in the Paralympics with the bat between his teeth throws the ball up into the air with his foot when he serves.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2019, 06:05 
Super User

There is no rule stating you can't have a paddle in each hand but when you hit the ball with the 2nd paddle then the rule applies that you cannot change paddles during a match therefore you are defaulted.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 05:24 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
LOOPOVER wrote:
There is no rule stating you can't have a paddle in each hand but when you hit the ball with the 2nd paddle then the rule applies that you cannot change paddles during a match therefore you are defaulted.
I suspect there is, at least implied......

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

185g

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2019, 02:52 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Many years ago we had a thread that discussed/argued the topic of the legality of using two bats at once. All the rule points raised here were discussed at much greater length. In the end the consensus was you could not abide all the rules of a free hand, showing opponent and umpire the bat at each change etc by having two bats in play at once.

As for the switch, I know a few players who do an occasional switch during play...which can be quite effective and disturbing to the opponent. I think you need to be close to equal competence with both hands to do it though as a weak shot with the wrong hand will get punished.

I had a muck around left v left game with my teammate after competition last week (normally both righties). It was fun but competence was low. I'd actually never really tried pips with my left before. When I was young I had a half decent left hand game with 2x inverted because my mates and I practiced it at times. I don't know if I could redevelop this in my 50s now with lower learning capability. But maybe. If it is by necessity then it becomes more feasible IMO. Certainly worth a try. Good luck with the robotting Nathanso.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2019, 14:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I have a friend who injured his right elbow some time ago, so he decided to play left handed for a season in a lower grade. We were surprised how well he did... although he did not have the skills that he had with his right hand, the strategy and pressure component of competition was still there, so this always seemed to give him an edge when he needed it.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2019, 15:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
My diagnosis: Coracoid fracture (Type 2) with a 4mm avulsion gap; a rare injury indeed. Two veteran Bay Area orthopedic surgeons that I've recently had exams with have little to no experience with this condition. EDIT: Correcting my earlier post from Type 1 to Type 2, which refers to fractures at either the base (Type 1) or the tip (Type 2) of the coracoid. Recommended treatment for Type 2 fractures is "conservative" which means no surgery; R&R for a couple of months; reassess thereafter. I'm continuing to train my left arm, just in case..

Last edited by nathanso on 12 Aug 2019, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2019, 20:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
4mm sounds like an awfully big gap, if that's what the fracture is referring to!

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2019, 00:36 
Super User

Pongfinity also can play with both hands (start at 1:48).

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2019, 05:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Just finished my fifth 30-minute robot training session left-handed. I'm getting more consistent with the very basic FH drive stroke, but simple things like maintaining proper body angle for aiming the ball are still difficult to gauge. BH stroke -- the difficult OX LP drive stroke, that is -- remains elusive with the lack of appropriate muscle development and proprioception painfully obvious. I played my first match left handed, against a US1900 player who was also playing other-handed, and lost 4-1. :( The match made obvious that transitioning from FH to BH will need specific practice! As will service.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2019, 08:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

As en epilogue, switching to lefty never worked for me. While I saw some early gains and could eventually do basic FH rallies with an opponent, I was still miles from being able to play even the most basic point left-handed. My avulsed right coracoid is purportedly something that some people live with long term, so I'm attempting that for a while; an ugly shoulder surgery with 6-months of rehab being the alternative. In the mean time, I'm back to playing righty.