OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 22:15 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
This section is dedicated to monitoring and discussing ITTF proposals, rule changes, unfair treatment or inconsistencies in their actions.

As discussed many times on this forum, there have been instances where ITTF proposals or actions have seemed illogical, unfair or inconsistant. Although we do not always have all the facts to decide whether the decision are right or wrong, this section is dedicated to discussing these issues, and archive all the events for future reference.

Since the ITTF is not really accountable to players, nor do individuals have any direct say in who gets elected, they pretty much have a free reign. Where actions or changes appear to be contrary to the interest of our sport or players, this section will help highlight and publicise them, in the hope that we can take positive action, and help keep them honest and accountable.

The types of topics I do like to see in this section:
1. Discussions of any new ITTF proposition or rule changes (eg new plastic balls)
2. Discussions of ITTF public statements
3. Historic account of the steps that led to certain changes or decisions (eg tuner ban)
4. Examples of where the ITTF is inconsistant or biassed towards or against certain individuals, organisations or manufacturers (eg allowing some big manufacturers to get away with certain things that smaller ones would be penalised for).

The types of topics I don't like to see in this section:
1. This should not be a section for so called 'ITTF bashing', which has proven top be counter-productive as it turns people against each other instead of uniting us for a common cause.
Note: By "bashing" I mean when we're no longer discussing the topic at hand, and we're throwing personal feeling or unsubstantiated claims into the topic to try and make our case. If we want the section to be effective we need to discuss the facts, and one topic at the time, and not use this section to express our anger and frustration towards the ITTF. Members can post this elsewhere if people feel the need, but in this section we must try and stick to the facts and evidence for the topic at hand. Although I can certainly understand and relate to people's anger and frustration (and even share it at times!), I don't think it can have a place in this section if we want it to be effective.

No doubt some topics will be harder to keep on track, but I think we are mature enough to handle it, and if we succeed than it's going to be a lot more constructive for others, compared to a thread where members express their personal frustration and we end up in bun fight.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2013, 05:40 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Hi haggisv

It'll be interesting to see how this section develops but to help it on it's way should we not move in to this section topics which have already been discussed eg new ball. - forget that I've just read your announcement post too :lol: :oops:

Do we also discuss equipment lists here as well as that is a decision of sorts, or is it just the four issues you list above?

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2013, 06:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Debater wrote:
Hi haggisv

It'll be interesting to see how this section develops but to help it on it's way should we not move in to this section topics which have already been discussed eg new ball. - forget that I've just read your announcement post too :lol: :oops:

Do we also discuss equipment lists here as well as that is a decision of sorts, or is it just the four issues you list above?

Thanks Debater!

I've changed the wording a little above to make it clearer... certainly don't wish to restrict it just to the 4 topics above. Yes the equipment list can certainly be discussed here if there are issues of concern, or if it's related to over issues already being discussed.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2013, 08:55 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
Awesome....now we'll have a separate place for all this stuff.

I would kind of like to discuss the performance of the new ball and how it'll affect the game.

Thanks for making this section! :up:

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2013, 11:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
This is a great idea, it's like having a box full of balls when practicing rather than chasing around to the other side of the room for the one ball.
(greater concentration in one area)

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2013, 15:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks guys!

What I'd like to do is collect information on all the other ITTF decisions/actions that have taken place in the past, and post them in a thread with a timeline that shows the history of every step and announcement that led to the final decision. For example the steps that led to the tuner ban, minimum friction limit (for pips), the demise of TTMaster, etc. I just have to find time to do it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
If anyone can recall if we've got such threads here already, please let me know, as my memory is rather poor :oops: ;)