OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 16:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 10:19 
Super User

Red_lion wrote:
Let me try for Bob but I think this is the link he is talking about. ...
http://tabletennista.com/2013/11/waldne ... shrewdnes/

Thanks, Red_lion. Waldner did not say "boring" and what is quoted there is not equivalent to "boring".

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 10:29 
Super User

Well it is true about the shipping container. The balls are flammable and they can be used for a molotov. It's a rumor I heard and it could possibly be true. Shipping companies are not going to ship dangerous goods without the proper safety plans and procedures. The shipping cost for TT balls is very expensive so an alternative solution is put into place.

He did look pretty bored in the photo.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 10:31 
Hard Justice

Smartguy wrote:
Thanks, Red_lion. Waldner did not say "boring" and what is quoted there is not equivalent to "boring".

The article definitely didn't use the word "boring," but that's what I inferred from the context. "Lacks shrewdness," "lacks surprises and tricks," and "they play like robots" do give me an image of a sport that is not nearly as exciting as it used to be.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 10:44 
Super User

abdulmuhsee wrote:
The article definitely didn't use the word "boring," but that's what I inferred from the context.

Again, athletic style is not equivalent to "boring", and Waldner did not say "boring".

If Bobs_Your_Uncle meant that article, his statement "Jan Ove Waldner stated not too long ago that high competitive table tennis is getting boring" is not true.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 10:49 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
To fill an arena you need local/national interest.

In pro sports, league franchises work hard to build an affinity with local fans. Having local players can move a lot of tickets. Having a "star" representing your country can also sell tickets.

The other thing is marketing to get the interest and support of local players 1) by letting them compete in lower divisions, and 2) understanding that these are THE ONLY PEOPLE who can appreciate seeing good players compete.

Also important is having reasonably priced tickets.

The ITTF can ban rubbers, increase the ball size, and change the scoring system all they want. It won't bring spectators. That's a crock.

As long as fans can't identify with the players, most countries have no stars and tickets are very expensive the ITTF Tour has no chance.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 10:53 
Super User

Bobs_Your_Uncle wrote:
Shipping companies are not going to ship dangerous goods without the proper safety plans and procedures.

This is of course a correct general statement, things should be done properly, right, but as I said there has never been a problem with celluloid balls apparently, since they have been always available everywhere in the world. And to a very moderate price, when talking about training balls. So, maybe you could consider making up something different. Look, what about a worldwide celluloid ban? Sounds nice, doesn't it?

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 10:56 
Super User

Yea he did not say that. I read it a long time ago forgot what it said. If the style he played is compared to the athletic style we see today then the comparisons could mention that table tennis in 2014 is lacking in shot selection. The athletic style is not as exciting to watch choppers, pimple players, seemiler, penhold and speedglue days. All the top players are talented but the majority are just heavy loopers. It's the style that is bred into table tennis right now and could change in ten years.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 11:23 
Hard Justice

Getting back on topic, the thing that's irking me most right now is knowing I'll have to switch over to the new ball this year, yet not being able to actually purchase it. Feels like I'm wasting my time training, and I'd rather just get a bunch of the new balls now for the club so we can switch over.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 12:01 
Super User

Bobs_Your_Uncle wrote:
Weren't they changing to the new plastic ball because of the hazardous danger of the cellulose ball being very flammable.

That's funny, but until now I've never heard anyone stating the new plastic balls are NOT flammable. No video demonstration. No reference to the new plastic balls not producing hazardous smoke when ignited either. No reference to children possibly choking when putting the larger new plastic ball in the mouth. Such a safe thing, right? They really think we are that stupid.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 12:08 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I heard the U.S. is banning newspapers because they can be ignighted by wallboard heaters. I am sure there will be a race to make aluminum newspapers. :lol:

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 12:12 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Burn a ping pong ball and it is gone in seconds without much smoke. Burn plastic and you have a real danger, poisonus smoke and a long lasting fire. :n:

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 15:55 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
One of the advantages of celluloid is it's a biodegradable polymer or "green product." With the switch from an environmentally responsible celluloid ball to plastic, the ITTF has aligned themselves with industrial polluters. Millions of these old and broken plastic balls will soon fill our landfills for decades (possibly even 500 years) without degrading.

In an era when the world is trying to reduce the use of plastics (such as many super markets going away from using plastic bags), here's the ITTF and table tennis seeking windfall personal profits regardless of the significant damage their actions will cause to our environment. :^)

Was there an environmental impact study done for the plastic balls?

Attachments:
pollution.jpg
pollution.jpg [ 45.53 KiB | Viewed 2322 times ]

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 20:02 
Hard Justice

As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), celluloid is the only plastic made with naturally occurring materials. However, its only substantial use today is in the manufacture of ping pong balls.

I really wish that the plastic ball would be the last straw that caused the national associations and/or the players themselves to break from the ITTF or throw its leadership out, but alas, if I want to keep playing with anyone but my family, it'll be with the plastic ball. It's like seeing a criminal act when all you can do is stand by and watch it happen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6