OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 21:26 

iskandar taib wrote:
Just read the patent. If the new balls are PVC they're not covered by the patent.

Nope : if they are celluloid-free they ARE covered.
Celluloid-free table-tennis ball - US 8105183 B2 wrote:
The invention relates on one hand to a celluloid-free table-tennis ball [...]

source

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 16:23 
Super User

Does anyone have the expected date for the new balls to be brought into competition?

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 19:11 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Bobs_Your_Uncle wrote:
Does anyone have the expected date for the new balls to be brought into competition?

For the ITTF, it's in July. National Associations need to make a decision soon after.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 23:45 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

So stupid anyway,how can you patent a ball, of all the stupid things in the modern world that's got to be right up there.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 09:29 
Super User

The ball will have a decrease in speed from what I heard. Maybe all those carbon wanabees might be able to control the ball and not sending it 10 meters away from the table. All I know is manufacturers have been testing these balls put for a long time and the rubbers will have slight changes in them to play exactly like the 40mm. For instance the might put more tension on the rubber, pips could have been shortened or now there is less sponge and more topsheet. Manufacturers are ready for the change so I guess that means more rubbers on the market.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 11:29 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Bobs_Your_Uncle wrote:
The ball will have a decrease in speed from what I heard. Maybe all those carbon wanabees might be able to control the ball and not sending it 10 meters away from the table.

Decrease in spin too, so carbon wanabees will still be sending it 10 meters away from the table.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 12:01 

Bobs_Your_Uncle wrote:
The ball will have a decrease in speed from what I heard. Maybe all those carbon wanabees might be able to control the ball and not sending it 10 meters away from the table. All I know is manufacturers have been testing these balls put for a long time and the rubbers will have slight changes in them to play exactly like the 40mm. For instance the might put more tension on the rubber, pips could have been shortened or now there is less sponge and more topsheet. Manufacturers are ready for the change so I guess that means more rubbers on the market.

Noooooo...you really think they will want to sell everyone NEW product just for the plastic ball?

End sarcasm.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 13:13 
Super User

Well yes of course. The big manufacturers like Donic, Butterfly and Andro bring out new rubbers every six to eight months. I wonder what BTY will do with tenergy... They might continue producing the T05 the way it is but do a new T05 for the new ball change and call it super T05 or something. Maybe the carbon inlaid into blades will be finer then the original laminated carbon were use to seeing.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 13:41 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Bobs_Your_Uncle wrote:
The ball will have a decrease in speed from what I heard. Maybe all those carbon wanabees might be able to control the ball and not sending it 10 meters away from the table.

Decrease in spin too, so carbon wanabees will still be sending it 10 meters away from the table.

ya got me

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 22:24 
Super User

Just to add to the new ball change. Weren't they changing to the new plastic ball because of the hazardous danger of the cellulose ball being very flammable. Shipping companies did not want to ship them in and needed a special container.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 22:51 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Bobs_Your_Uncle wrote:
Just to add to the new ball change. Weren't they changing to the new plastic ball because of the hazardous danger of the cellulose ball being very flammable. Shipping companies did not want to ship them in and needed a special container.

That's the reason the ITTF has changed to now after originally claiming the change was due to a worldwide ban on celluloid.

The real reason for the change?

1. They want to once again reap the windfall profits from forcing everyone buy and test new equipment.

2. Adham and his goons are under the delusion that a slower, less spinny ball will somehow make the game a popular spectator sport. Here are some screen grabs from the semis of today's Kuwait Open. This is the pathetically small crowd attending one of the ITTF's flagship "Super Series" tournaments. A bigger plastic ball isn't going to change this. No one cares.

Attachments:
kuwait_semis1.jpg
kuwait_semis1.jpg [ 205.69 KiB | Viewed 2316 times ]
kuwait_semis2.jpg
kuwait_semis2.jpg [ 255.04 KiB | Viewed 2316 times ]

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 07:59 
Super User

Jan Ove Waldner stated not too long ago that high competitive table tennis is getting boring. That's just the his view and in no way could be to the majority of the public. We all know how much technique is required to pull of fantastic shots. Waldner went onto say the pros play very repetitive and had no style. I guess coming from the best that might be true but the skill to play at the top is very high. Slowing the ball down can definitely make it easier to watch but the best way to get more viewers is to make is 'accessible'. This sounds very contradictory as winter sports get more attention than TT, but I feel to get more people watching you got to inject marketing which ITTF don't do and here in Aus having a tt superstar because you only get on sport news if your number one In the world.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 10:00 
Super User

Bobs_Your_Uncle wrote:
Jan Ove Waldner stated not too long ago that high competitive table tennis is getting boring.

I'd like to ask you politely to provide a direct link to this alleged statement of his, please.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 10:03 
Super User

Bobs_Your_Uncle wrote:
Shipping companies did not want to ship them in and needed a special container.

Her, again, I'd like to see the evidence of shipping companies not wanting to ship them. Because what you said sounds absurd. Celluloid balls are sold everywhere throughout the world.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 10:10 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Let me try for Bob but I think this is the link he is talking about. If not, please disregard and post the proper link Bob

http://tabletennista.com/2013/11/waldne ... shrewdnes/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next