OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Unfair to ITTF umpires?
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 10:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
This from Barry Meisel's facebook page:
Barry Meisel wrote:
More sick and arrogant news towards the umpires from the ITTF

Again the ITTF refuses to listen , the now require umpires to travel to China. The umpires will have to pay their full travelling, insurance and visa expenses. The ITTF insist the umpires must sleep in a shared room possibly with a complete stranger and in return the ITTF will pay the umpire just £2 an hour about a quarter of the legal minimum wage. Shame on you ITTF whilst your overpaid officials stay in 5 star hotels you continue to ignore the umpires and players . We need change from this greedy and selfish ITTF who will still not allow the players to have a vote in the continuos changes to the rules and equipment approved by the Ittf who are also now considering a higher net at a higher cost

This is the announcement from the ITTF:
Invitation to Umpire at the Seamaster 2017 ITTF World Tour China Open
25 Mar 2017
The Chinese Table Tennis Association invites eight International Umpires to officiate at the forthcoming Seamaster 2017 ITTF World Tour China Open. Staged in Chengdu, overall, including the qualification tournament, play commences on Tuesday 20th June and concludes on Sunday 25th June.

by Ian Marshall, ITTF Publications Editor
It is an open invitation. Therefore not all nominations may be accepted.

Furthermore only nominations submitted by bona fide national associations will be considered; a maximum of two applications per national association is requested.
Full hospitality will be provided in a twin room from dinner on Monday 19th June to breakfast on Monday 26th June.
Each umpire will receive a daily allowance per competition day, according to ITTF regulations.
All invited umpires must organize their own transport to the region as well as travel and medical insurance. In addition, all invited umpires are responsible for early arrival and late departure.

Local transport will be provided from and to Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport (IATA Code: CTU) or Chengdu Railway Station.
Should a nominated umpire require a visa, kindly send relevant details when submitting the nomination (full name as in passport, date of birth, place of birth, passport number, expiry date of passport). A visa will be provided.

Umpires must wear the International umpiring uniforms as described in the Handbook for Match Officials.
The closing date for nominations is Thursday 20th April. The list of umpires accepted will be advised on or before Wednesday 10th May.
Evaluations for Blue Badge umpires and candidates will be conducted.

For replies and questions, please address:
Umpires & Referees Committee – China Table Tennis Association

What do you think?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 10:25 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
To borrow a saying from another sport, it is par for the course.

Mind you at a previous ITTF tour Australian Open, the referee who was from Europe, was surprised at the conditions even for what was arguably the biggest tournament in the Australian calendar for that year, so umpiring is not rewarded evenly across the globe.

I think most of us do it for personal reward rather than the high pay and glamour of the position. Any perks (and you have to look really hard to see the perks) are gratefully received, but not expected, at least by me.

But then I am a lowly state umpire (read 3 levels below blue badge IU which I believe is what expected in the OP) in the TT backwater of Australia.

As I say, you have the best seat in the house. Particularly when you see how far away the audience is from the action in some of the videos from ITTF tour events.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 16:54 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
It doesn't give a whole lot of incentive to reach those umpiring heights though does it?

I'd be amazed if the umpires in the Tennis Grand Slams were compensated in this way.

Obviously TT has an over-supply of umpires that can be picked from. When (and if) supply dwindles due to a disgruntled mass, things will change.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 17:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
It certainly would be interesting to hear how this compares to the ITTF officials... what do they have to pay for, and are they really covered to stay in 5* hotels?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 18:22 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I had a friend who umpired in Korea right and could not afford to live in a closet sized bargain hostel room for too long. He did international and Kim League... just not much money in it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 18:24 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I umpired at 2015 Los Angeles Special Olympics... I got a free flight, free college dorm tiny room with shared shower and free ride to venue... was one of the best experiences in my life. Got zero money pay, but paid in good times and experience.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 18:47 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
The movie "As One" accurately depicted ITTF officials. Go to 1:42.42

Also watch the whole movie. It's good.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 31 May 2017, 15:08 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

mynamenotbob wrote:

Also watch the whole movie. It's good.

Feckit, not available!!!

PostPosted: 31 May 2017, 15:12 

This reminds me of dictatorship. Small distant countries get free trips and equipments because they have votes. Players get to suck it up because they have no votes!

PostPosted: 31 May 2017, 15:24 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2017, 03:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Table Tennis judge is a timid soul, anyway. They all fearful of possible scandals. They all too infirm, infirmity of body and character.
We need a professional umpiring. Those paid umpires (football, basketball, ice hockey) is the best.
If payed well, umpire would take his job seriously, never will he fear to fault an offender.

This happened once during 1972 Olympic basketbal final, honest umpires did their job in good faith. The Soviets did won gold medals due to the impartiality of the judges.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Olym ... ball_Final

Table tennis is the opposite. Table tennis umpires would shrink to fault the chinese. Old person is a timid soul. Sorry.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2017, 20:20 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Agree, happens in our league tt all the time, timid, wont rock the boat, allow illegal serves, grrrrr :headbang: :headbang:

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2017, 20:15 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Love this movie depicting the true story of athletes overcoming corrupt ITTF officials. Watch from 38:34. :lol: :lol: :lol:

| My OOAK Interview

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!