OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2019, 09:59 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

China donates more money than Russia does. Therefore China.. well, China doesn't care about Russia, they'd want Russia in the draw, makes things easier if anything... they'd just steamroller over Russia.. :lol:

I must admit.. it took guts to pull off the Sochi Switch. And took even more guts to blow the whistle, given what happened to other people in the know.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019, 16:56 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
I like the challenge, for a few reasons. One, it allows officials to make calls and enforce the rules with tech to fall back. If the player doesnt like it make a call and have the replay absolve the call or enforce it. This also means that officials cant be lamblasted by coaches, teams and players as much as they can say with the backing of replay either "sorry I was incorrect, play a let" or "how sad too bad, serve within the rules". The second reason is, that if rules are more enforced more then I can hear less of the "but the pro's dont follow the rules why should I?" from developing players.

I dont see it as a bad thing, if i remember correctly both tennis and cricket railed against the intoduction of the technology into their feilds.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019, 18:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
apophis wrote:
I like the challenge, for a few reasons. One, it allows officials to make calls and enforce the rules with tech to fall back. If the player doesnt like it make a call and have the replay absolve the call or enforce it. This also means that officials cant be lamblasted by coaches, teams and players as much as they can say with the backing of replay either "sorry I was incorrect, play a let" or "how sad too bad, serve within the rules". The second reason is, that if rules are more enforced more then I can hear less of the "but the pro's dont follow the rules why should I?" from developing players.

I dont see it as a bad thing, if i remember correctly both tennis and cricket railed against the intoduction of the technology into their feilds.

Yes I agree. I think they just need a way to speed things up, or it will disrupt the flow of play too much.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2019, 06:23 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
In general, I agree that the video challenge system is a good idea.

As I posted in the Ma Long challenge thread, the review for hidden serves does not definitively show that the serve is hidden from the receiver, which is the rule. It does show that from a particular camera sited somewhere near the receiver that the serve was hidden. I was hoping for a synthetic diagram that would have shown the view from the receiver. I also seem to remember guidance that anything in a triangle formed by the ball and each net post was considered illegal.

As I also stated in that thread, the 30 degree from vertical being the dividing line is somewhat arbitrary, as is the rule that says near vertically up. I seem to remember at one stage that the guidance was more like 45 degrees being the dividing line.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2019, 18:59 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

apophis wrote:

Soccer (er, football) is still railing against it.. :lol: :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2019, 20:55 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
Can they simply not re-write the rule to read, Toss ball high ( more than 5 feet) , Put Racket forward to meet ball, NO OBSTRUCTION of any kind before touching the ball with the face of the racket ....

No need for Video review systems, no poor judgement calls, no hidden serves ....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2019, 02:50 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

FIVE FEET! :lol:

In the Ma Long serve thread, I made the point that Someone Had To Decide about what angle to enforce, if there was to be enforcement. If Someone Didn't Decide, then It Wouldn't Be Decided, and therefore Nothing Could Be Enforced. Others pointed out that, the way the rules are written, it is incumbent upon the PLAYER to serve As Close As Possible To The Vertical so that it's unambiguous to the umpire. If you are one of these people who serve as close as possible to the limits, rather than trying to keep the serves AWAY from the limits, then don't be surprised when the umpire calls you out on it. Remember that these video review thingies are reserved for important international tournaments - they're not going to be there for your town's Confucius Institute Cup tournament. If you make it a point to toss 25 degree serves, don't be surprised if an umpire calls you out on it even if it's five degrees more vertical than 30 degrees. It's not fair to force the umpire to hold a plastic 30-60 set square behind the server - it is up to YOU to keep your tosses as vertical as you can.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2019, 03:03 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Actually, that reminds me. In model airplane competition there is a competition class called "Control Line Carrier Deck" - like all control line models, these are flown on wires around in a circle. The idea here is to take off a carrier deck, fly several high speed laps (which are timed), and then several slow speed laps (the engine is throttled back, flaps are deployed, etc.), followed by an arrested landing on the deck. But back in the 1950s some teenager called Burt Rutan discovered that you could actually get these models (they're large and heavy, semi-scale, with powerful racing engines and have to carry a lot of fuel) to hover, and you could get REALLY LONG slow speed times. So they invented a rule that you couldn't exceed a 60 degree nose-up angle for any length of time - I think you were allowed two warnings. So how do they judge the angle? One of the judges comes to the center of the circle with a plastic triangle… :lol:

FF to about 6:00 to see the slow-flight stage.

I've flown at Buder Park (near St. Louis) - won my first Fast Combat contest there. Looks like they've got a permanent racing circle (behind the fence) and a permanent carrier deck now.

Iskandar