OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 13 Jul 2024, 08:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Anyone tried Pickleball?
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2024, 11:06 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Suddenly, some of my friends are trying this. Is it popular in your country...yet?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2024, 12:23 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Not really. End of last year I saw a photo of my tt friends playing pickleball in the WhatsApp group. But it was one time occurrence. Earlier this year I saw another photo of someone in my TT club here in China playing as well, but it was also one time only. Haven't seen any more photos. I still have access to several TT groups WhatsApp back home, and also several TT groups here in China (one from another city). No mentions of pickleball. So I take it it's not that popular to common TT players here in China and back home. At least in my scope of friends/groups.

I would try it if I get the chance in passing, but will not go looking for it. I don't enjoy waiting around doing nothing for my turn to play. So it would be in passing, such as, we're having a family gathering or some events, which has opportunity to play then I will do so. Or some friends invited me to play together, might do it once to experience (I tried many sports just for the experience). The whole thing about pickleball is just not to my liking.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2024, 12:33 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Been in the US a long time.

About 12 years ago they had it in the senior games. I have about 50 senior games medals in table tennis, archery, pistol and track events. My table tennis partner said lets try it. We bought racquets, practiced a few times and entered.

First match was doubles. we were against a man and his wife. He played back, her at the net. He lobbed one, landed close to the net. Tennis players will know what happened next. I made a big overhand smash aimed right at the girl. Hit her and she goes down. Her husband comes flying over all upset. Says "What are you doing? It's only a game!"

I told him it is a tournament and I paid $10 dollars to compete.

Now the game has advanced a long way. There is $100 + carbon bats. No more easy wins. People have coaches. There are indoor and outdoor places to play. It has brought out many seniors that would not play tennis. Great sport! :)

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2024, 12:36 

That was the last time I played the game. I miss the spin and tactics of table tennis. :)

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2024, 01:03 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Defplay Senso
FH: VS>401
BH: Curl P-1V OX
Pickleball is what TTX desperately wanted to be. :devil:

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2024, 01:19 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

pgpg wrote:
Pickleball is what TTX desperately wanted to be. :devil:

Pickleball is more "rejuvenating" than TTX, I guess. :D

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2024, 20:20 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Tennis players are complaining because a lot of tennis courts are getting converted. Apparently you can get four pickleball courts in the same area as one tennis court. And apparently people who live nearby are complaining because it's noisy... pink pink pink pink pink... and it goes well into the evening because the courts are lighted. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2024, 03:09 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Pickleball in USA is becoming one of the most, if not THE most organized and increasingly popular sports for the 50+ crowd.

The pro of this is that TT has been around decades and failed to become popular at a social or competitive level to even 10% the extent of pickleball. many cities in USA are designing and building new courts.

One example of pickleball overtaking tennis is there is a large avenue I drive on frequently for 7 years... there is a pair of tennis courts next this avenue, I NEVER saw ANYONE play tennis there day or night.... but a year ago, some lines got painted on the tennis courts for pickleball... now when I drive by there, almost every time I see pickleball players there.

Another example... one of the "hotspot" (but how can a once a week setup tables for play for a few hours be a hotspot?) in Sacramento (a 3 million metro area) has TT once a week in a city rec gym... the same parks dept built pickleball courts... EIGHT of them... and at the same time TT is going on at night, there are people FIGHTING to get on the pickleball courts.

These are some anecdotes of how pickleball is gaining popularity and status. 80-90% of the players are all O50 in age, but there is a developing young crowd.

We ask ourselves WHY is pickleball getting such participation and dedication of players?

In my crappy opinion, it is that with pickleball, although there is spin, it doesn't fly off your bat like in TT if you do not understand how to control bat angles/grip... since it is a fraction less spin reactive, a senior player can be "wrong" on bat angle/grip/ballstrike and still land the ball in and NOT piss away the point... if the opponent doesn't finish the point on this right away (and it is not as easy to finish like in TT) then the opponents play safer and there is another opportunity to get the ball back...

... so this makes actual "rallies" happen among players who do not understand spin or other fundamentals of racket sports ball striking and still can land the ball in and have an illusion of playing a real competitive point.

... this is MASSIVELY more enjoyable for seniors who cannot read or handle spin in TT... it is no-shyt Sherlock stuff... WHY would a clueless senior stick with TT when they need years of professional lessons just to consistently get the ball back or attack a few in when that same senior can INSTANTLY play long rallies and enjoy it??? WHY would a senior stick with TT when they can have 100x more fun and fulfillment playing pickleball?

YES, I have little to zero respect for pickleball since it is basically a massively dumbed down version of TT and tennis that seriously unskilled players can suddenly participate a feel like they are doing something without any training or real skill.

Yes, there is skill in pickleball and the former bottom WR or challenger class tennis pros end up dominating the top of the competitive elite/pro level... but a totally unskilled and untrained player can step on the court and instantly hit a few balls before pissing away the point and giggling like a 90 yr old granny who won in the BINGO parlor.

Yet, it is this very aspect of being able to participate and have immediate fun (for the total unskilled player) that is the huge attraction and retainer of new and existing players.

In this light, that means that pickleball is hundreds of times better sport that TT.

We have seen enough proof in these regards.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2024, 08:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Ping pong on the ground

What you need is a standard tennis court coated with a hard material as concrete or smooth asphalt.

Take off the tennis net , set up a lower net of 50 см height. Some long solid plank will do pretty well.

The square inside the serve field will serve as playing court, as shown in red. Serving rule adopted from lawn tennis.
⛔ IMPORTANT TO NOTE
-- You must not play volleys !!

Have fun a lot. Strong legs is a great benefit.
Attachment:
IMG_20240623_032440.jpg
IMG_20240623_032440.jpg [ 118.5 KiB | Viewed 1503 times ]

Last edited by igorponger on 23 Jun 2024, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2024, 12:30 

Der-Echte said it perfectly. :)

I played it once, won the event, left totally bored. |-)

Good sport for some people.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2024, 17:30 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
"YES, I have little to zero respect for pickleball since it is basically a massively dumbed down version of TT and tennis that seriously unskilled players can suddenly participate a feel like they are doing something without any training or real skill."

Spot on and this is actually why Pickleball is so popular along with the small court footprint, it does not have the same technique and fitness barriers to entry that tennis for instance has. In many ways a sort of outdoor squash/badminton hybrid.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2024, 00:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

PPG GAME IS THE BEST SPORT ACTIVITY IN SUMMERTIME.

The rectangle ground is sized at 12.8 x 4.1 metres. It is well fit to the space of your home backyard.

Yes, any table tennis bats and balls will do to play the game. It is a sweaty sport anyway. You may opt to play barefoot and naked. You will get a bronze tan in a week.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2024, 13:51 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Tennis greats playing pickleball.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2024, 03:07 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

First time I’ve heard of padel. A bit of tennis + a bit of racquetball?
https://youtube.com/watch?v=rSIvS-Skg28

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2024, 21:53 

Blade: Yinhe N9
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Focus Snipe 3
I played pickle ball 3 years ago in Beijing. One of the players had recently returned from USA and was bringing the sport with him. But he called it "pig ball".

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!