OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2014, 02:13 

Multispoke wrote:
http://calorielab.com/burned/?mo=se&gr=15&ti=sports&q=&wt=150&un=lb&kg=68

Above is a comparison chart of calories burned.
Tennis is 2 fold of TT whilst squash is nearly double again !
It's difficult to have an easy game of squash but with TT it's easy to vary the intensity.
Know of 2 guys who play tennis & TT at a decent level but I reckon one is better off doing a different sport so that you're not leaving yourself exposed for tennis elbow or a strained shoulder.

I disagree completely with that chart. It separates competitive and recreational badminton, it separates tennis into 4 different categories....and for table tennis it says just "table tennis (ping pong). ". ie the authors have no clue what competitive table tennis is. There is simply no way 1 hour of tennis burns over twice the calories of an hour of table tennis, and even less way if it is an hour of proper training! The only exclusion to this is for players with a less active style, but in the main that would be a minority of league/competitive players. Of course there is a difference between running around a tennis court and moving for a table tennis ball, but not 56%! Table tennis they align with tai-chi and hackey sack, as LESS calorific than GOLF? Its a generic US study and is a load of cobblers.

and my chickening out setup..
Donic Waldner Allplay
Stiga Boost TC 2.0 forehand
Stiga Boost TC 1.8 backhand

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2014, 07:57 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Quote:
I was wondering, based on the way Rafael Nadal plays tennis (with lots of topspin), how great of a table tennis player he would be?
I think that if he played every day and practiced hard enough, he could become at least a highly rated club player, but I am not sure how well he would do professionally.

above was the op subject question (mind you he never came back to this tread ) well my guess is raffa would never be a pro table tennis player , it's a different sport and a different World really

the other thing is we don't need a graphs/ calorie counters etc to know tennis is a running sport and table tennis isn't

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2014, 08:10 
Hard Justice

boosttc wrote:
I disagree completely with that chart... the authors have no clue what competitive table tennis is. There is simply no way 1 hour of tennis burns over twice the calories of an hour of table tennis...

I know you love ping pong like the rest of us, but if you've ever really played a serious game of tennis, I think you'd agree that it most definitely burns over twice as many calories as a serious game of ping pong. There may be a smaller gap when comparing a social game of tennis to a competitive game of ping pong, but that's not the comparison being made.

I play ping pong very actively, with lots of attacking and backing off the table, but it doesn't hold a candle to really any other physical sport sport I've been exposed to in any competitive capacity. Even playing floor hockey with high school kids leaves me sweating bullets and trying to catch my breath; it would take an all-day ping pong tournament to leave me that drained, and I'd still never get up to the same level of intensity.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2014, 23:59 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
Didn't mean to cause a stir with that chart.
Whilst I see decent players still smoking outside the TT club it's not a sport that is going to push one to point of physical exhaustion.
Hard to get fit with TT unless you're really packing the hours in whilst with Tennis you've got a much better chance.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2014, 00:02 

abdulmuhsee wrote:
boosttc wrote:
I disagree completely with that chart... the authors have no clue what competitive table tennis is. There is simply no way 1 hour of tennis burns over twice the calories of an hour of table tennis...

I know you love ping pong like the rest of us, but if you've ever really played a serious game of tennis, I think you'd agree that it most definitely burns over twice as many calories as a serious game of ping pong. There may be a smaller gap when comparing a social game of tennis to a competitive game of ping pong, but that's not the comparison being made.

I play ping pong very actively, with lots of attacking and backing off the table, but it doesn't hold a candle to really any other physical sport sport I've been exposed to in any competitive capacity. Even playing floor hockey with high school kids leaves me sweating bullets and trying to catch my breath; it would take an all-day ping pong tournament to leave me that drained, and I'd still never get up to the same level of intensity.

But you assume there that i have never played a competitive game of tennis....I played tennis competitively from age 8 through to 20 at a decent level. Tennis is stop start, and is NOT aerobically challenging, which is why players can play matches that last 2-3 hours! You try playing a single table tennis match for 3 hours and come back to me.

and my chickening out setup..
Donic Waldner Allplay
Stiga Boost TC 2.0 forehand
Stiga Boost TC 1.8 backhand

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2014, 02:18 
Hard Justice

boosttc wrote:
Tennis is stop start, and is NOT aerobically challenging, which is why players can play matches that last 2-3 hours! You try playing a single table tennis match for 3 hours and come back to me.

:o !!

Well, I disagree with that assessment completely and am honestly surprised by the argument, but I don't think adding anything else is going to convince you otherwise.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2014, 03:47 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
There's no doubt that tennis is more strenuous than table tennis but you can still get a good workout with table tennis. When playing games, I try to win the point as quick as possible and the typical rally might be 2-6 strokes or more depending on my opponent. When doing drills, I try to keep the ball on the table as long as possible so I get a better workout doing drills then playing games. Pretty sure the value quoted in the chart is for recreational ping pong and not for training and playing competitively.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2014, 09:26 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
This is a pointless discussion, I guess. Both can be very physically demanding, depending on the style and level you play. It's the kind of 'demand' that is different. Like with football & cycling. Or squash and swimming.

One big difference is the amount of power you need to apply in both sports. Tennis requires more power. Another is the need to sprint that is obviously higher for tennis. The mental part and concentration is more demanding for table tennis, as is the velocity of sequential strokes.

The duration of a typical match is higher for tennis than for table tennis. But in our TT-league, everyone plays 4 individual matches in a limited time schedule.

Both sports can be a good workout (but a different one). And I really equally like both!

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 07:08 
Super User

I have played both as well and tennis seemed to be much more of a workout, but table tennis by far was the more difficult game. Talk about 135 mph serves all you want, the amount of knowledge you need to play pro table tennis is staggering. Yes you have to sprint farther in tennis, big deal! Technically 2 vastly different surfaces on the same paddle takes the cake. Even inverted acts differently from one sheet to another.Blades are very different. The spin is so fast its hard to read, serves are hidden from view (allegedly not but....). I am not saying tennis doesnt take mad skills, it does, but table tennis requires great technique or the ball wont even hit the table once you get away from sandpaper paddles.....

Ian

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 20:38 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Multispoke wrote:
Didn't mean to cause a stir with that chart.
Whilst I see decent players still smoking outside the TT club it's not a sport that is going to push one to point of physical exhaustion.
Hard to get fit with TT unless you're really packing the hours in whilst with Tennis you've got a much better chance.

Heh.. I suppose at the top levels table tennis is as "serious" a sport as anything else, but to me it seems that a lot of table tennis - even fairly serious table tennis at clubs - centers around late nights. Even the semi-serious rec players who used to gather in the dorm basement on weekends were very much into smoking, donuts and tiger tails from the 7-11 across the street and coca cola!

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 02:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

tt is good for the poor nations, tenis is only good for those rich nations.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 08:12 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
while agree that table tennis is a low impact sport, compared to tennis (unless the ball or blade goes to your eye or private parts)

I vote that table tennis can be more tiring. 2 to 4 strokes per seconds and play defensive in serious level depend more on anaerobic energy metabolism, more than 1 to 2 seconds per stroke in tennis. :)

That aside,
For me, the tipping point is,
In equipment, table tennis is the most diverse sport available. :)

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 08:41 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

igorponger wrote:
tt is good for the poor nations, tenis is only good for those rich nations.

like Russian women in their hundreds

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 08:49 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

if you get a couple of high level soccer players or tennis players and ask them to play a game of table tennis, they will turn up in long pants, street shoes and they wouldn't care or know what type of racket they were using,
If I went to have a casual tennis match like that with a cheap or wooded racket people would consider is strange , maybe insulted and I would be quickly corrected

In other words we should say no to the strs in other codes unless they turn up with TT gear lol

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 12:40 
Super User

I suspect that table tennis can be more strenuous per minute of match play than tennis for the very simple fact that there is about 20-30 seconds between each point in tennis and because many tennis points are over so quickly. I do think tennis at the higher levels requires greater endurance fitness simply because matches typically last longer (though some womens' matches are over in one hour) and because they are more often played in warmer weather.

In the end, a lot of this comes down to your style of play. Personally, I play hardbat and I tend to play an aggressive game from a low stance - lower than most. I'm breaking a sweat in less than ten minutes in a typical match. That's significantly due to the lower stance and also due to the fact that it takes more effort to hit the ball fast with spin using a hardbat.

Last summer I spent a week at the World Champions Table Tennis Academy in San Jose, CA. This was a five day camp where we trained for 2.5 hours in the morning, broke for lunch, and then trained for another 2.5 hours. I wore my heart rate monitor for three of the 10 training sessions. My heart rate monitor also measures "steps" and estimates distance traveled. Such estimates probably aren't accurate for table tennis training, but it does give an idea of how many steps are being taken. The steps are pretty accurate for measuring walking distance, so I took as many steps as I would have taken to walk over four miles even if I didn't actually (or did I?) move four miles. Anyway, I provided a link below and you can make of it what you will. If I played tennis, I could record a tennis session and compare, but I don't play tennis.

http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/detail/wturber/Table-tennis/WCTTA-Thur.-AM/1470730

This is a link to a regular Wednesday night of "challenge table" play at our club. You can easily see the time when I sat due to either losing or leaving the table after two wins. The total exertion isn't that much different in total effort from the above training session.

http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/detail/wturber/Table-tennis/Wed.-nite-open-play/1456324