OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 13 Jul 2024, 09:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2024, 14:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
After we had many discussions on how well Batra blocks loops and takes the pace off so well with relatively fast equipment, I thought I'd ask Sebastian Sauer who is an expert on pong pimple blocking, and runs training camps, etc.

This was his response:
It is also possible to return balls that arrive quickly with fairly fast material. For example, some players with an offensive forehand are now playing our combination of Sauer&Tröger Zhero blade and Hellfire rubber. But of course. Blocking is easier with slower material.
What you don't see in videos: to absorb incoming pace, the racket should be held quite loosely in the hand to absorb the pace a little. Then the angle doesn't have to be too closed. It is very difficult to play this with a quick and abrupt movement. Then the timing must be optimal.
The tempo can be absorbed more easily if you approach the ball softly with a slow movement.

Personally I find it hard to keep the racket loose in my hand, especially when I'm struggle to get to the ball in the first place. I also tend to try and do a fast movement on contact, which is very hard to time, as Sebastian points out.

I'll try and practice some more, trying to keep the bat more loose in the hand, and trying a slower movement, see it it works better and more consistant.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2024, 20:25 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Re OX LP on fast blades has anyone compared how they play on an outer ALC blade with Koto top layer such as a Bol ALC to say an issue innerforce ALC with two Limba layers. The Indian ladies seem to all be using hard outer carbon blades such as the Viscaria and Bol ALC which with dtecs must take superb touch.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2024, 01:35 

Sebastiqj goes over this in a number of youtube videos he's featured in. What he calls "hammer grip" and not moving too quickly when chop blocking. This does seem counter intuitive, when yiu think, ok I need to at least equal the speed of the incoming balls rotation mindset... but, if you try it out, the technique works even better going a bit slower!

So long as your grip is loose and you are going downward at the point of impact (with a decent blade angle...), the ball is of an extremely good quality. Look at how manika or sreeja use their pips. They rarely have an exaggerated movement, compared to swbastians which appears far more active in nature. Sreeja barely moves downward at all, but her motion is crisp and consistent.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2024, 10:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Call Me Mr. Pips wrote:
Sebastiqj goes over this in a number of youtube videos he's featured in. What he calls "hammer grip" and not moving too quickly when chop blocking. This does seem counter intuitive, when yiu think, ok I need to at least equal the speed of the incoming balls rotation mindset... but, if you try it out, the technique works even better going a bit slower!

So long as your grip is loose and you are going downward at the point of impact (with a decent blade angle...), the ball is of an extremely good quality. Look at how manika or sreeja use their pips. They rarely have an exaggerated movement, compared to swbastians which appears far more active in nature. Sreeja barely moves downward at all, but her motion is crisp and consistent.

Yes I think you're right. The speed of movement is usually hard to see, because the frame rate of the video is rarely high enough.

It's also interesting to read that angle of the bat should be slightly close. I find this hard to do as well, because closing the bat slightly can so easily just drop the ball into the net.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2024, 19:35 
Super User

Blade: D. M. S. The Wall Def-
FH: S&T Secret Flow Chop
BH: Spectre OX
The bat angle can't be always the same, it all depends the amount of spin, the same for the absorving the pace, not all balls have always the same spin & speed....

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2024, 17:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

merlin el mago wrote:
The bat angle can't be always the same, it all depends the amount of spin, the same for the absorving the pace, not all balls have always the same spin & speed....

Yes I agree completely, it's not easy. I think with OX LP the angle is also very fine and sensitive... close slightly too much and it will drop in the net, open slightly too much and it will sail over the end. Blocking fast loops will require a lot of practice!
A robot seems perfect for this.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2024, 17:25 
Super User

The trick is to have a good balances between close to the table chop-block & chop mid-long distance far from the table, so you must read very fast what strike to do after the ball left the bat from the player (that's not only playing, that's from the beginning including when you receive the serve, it's very important to receive well to avoid a 3rd ball strong attack), other things it's to take advantage when the other push the wall and attack, so in general you have to be smart and avoid all predictable strikes including your serves: if you don't have several different serves at least change the placement where the ball goes & if you can change the amount of backspin, sidespin or topspin.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2024, 17:27 
Super User

We have to understand that not all ball can be blocked close to the table....

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2024, 23:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

merlin el mago wrote:
The trick is to have a good balances between close to the table chop-block & chop mid-long distance far from the table, so you must read very fast what strike to do after the ball left the bat from the player (that's not only playing, that's from the beginning including when you receive the serve, it's very important to receive well to avoid a 3rd ball strong attack), other things it's to take advantage when the other push the wall and attack, so in general you have to be smart and avoid all predictable strikes including your serves: if you don't have several different serves at least change the placement where the ball goes & if you can change the amount of backspin, sidespin or topspin.

Sounds like the words of a good coach. Excellent advice! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2024, 06:33 

merlin el mago wrote:

Players like Manila and sreeja basically never retreat from the table, though. They block or die right up in the line of fire!

Any ball CAN be blocked at the table, but just depends on difficulty level. If you were to dangle the bat from your hand like a sheet hanging from a clothes line -- the ball would lose most all of its energy upon contact.

To note, sebastian in his videos does say it is also fine to take a step or two back in order to chop block, and then move to the table again. So, I'm not disputing the extra distance does make returning a big attack easier...hence choppers! I would agree, rather than learn how to block back a mega loop... just work on your previous shot to prevent a big attack from coming when possible !

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2024, 18:49 
Super User

Well it's true that very good long pips to play chop-block or block close to the table aren't at the same level when used mid-long far to the table to chop and viceversa (I did a lot of time the same and only played close to the table), other problem it's generally people uses OX playing close to the table and blades Def or All so you need to be Superman to return the ball when you are at 3-4 metres far from the table.

As always you must choose your poison. No free lunch boys.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2024, 18:55 
Super User

Call Me Mr. Pips wrote:
merlin el mago wrote:

Players like Manila and sreeja basically never retreat from the table, though. They block or die right up in the line of fire!

Any ball CAN be blocked at the table, but just depends on difficulty level. If you were to dangle the bat from your hand like a sheet hanging from a clothes line -- the ball would lose most all of its energy upon contact.

To note, sebastian in his videos does say it is also fine to take a step or two back in order to chop block, and then move to the table again. So, I'm not disputing the extra distance does make returning a big attack easier...hence choppers! I would agree, rather than learn how to block back a mega loop... just work on your previous shot to prevent a big attack from coming when possible !

I'm sorry I disagree NOT ALL BALLS CAN BE BLOCKED CLOSE TO THE TABLE, look professionals and learn....

With one or two steps far from the table you can't do quality chop-block because the good chop-block must be done just the ball bounce off the table with a short movement of the wrist, also the classical chop needs a long stroke and you will haven't space & time to do a quality stroke when you are one or two steps far from the table.

Prevent attack it's a good strategy, but when you receive a good quality strong attack you have to have an answer of quality or you die....