OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2021, 06:14 

I remember seeing a video interview, I think it was with Suh Hyo Won were she mention pinching the handle just as you hit the ball when chopping. Can't find the link just now. If someone has it please post. She even mentioned doing grip strength training.

My question for the other choppers here is this something you are doing? Using just the thumb and index finger (like I've seen recommended for looping) or all fingers? Any experience going from loose/medium grip to pinching harder? How did it affect your chop and consistency.

My blog

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2021, 15:47 

Blade: Stiga Def Classic
FH: Tibhar MX-P 2.0mm
BH: Hallmark Tactics 0X
Maybe this?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2021, 21:27 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Similar to all of my strokes, if I loosen my grip, I find my consistency/safety increases significantly. Conversely if I grip tightly, I tend to get more spin. This applies on loops, chops and pushes!

I personally don't "pinch" chops at all. If the incoming ball has heavy spin, I consciously loosen my grip.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 00:03 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

magnuseffect wrote:
My question for the other choppers here is this something you are doing? Using just the thumb and index finger (like I've seen recommended for looping) or all fingers? Any experience going from loose/medium grip to pinching harder? How did it affect your chop and consistency.

I don't recall this advice for looping, though I'm sure someone's recommended it in the past.. :lol: Loose grips, yes. Since you're supposed to develop very high racket head speeds for loops it does seem to be a safety concern.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2021, 20:20 

banimal wrote:
Maybe this?

Yes that's it. thank you! After rewatching it's a bit unclear, but since the grip training applied to all techniques I interpreted the advice about "applying force at impact" when chopping to mean relax until impact where you tighten the grip. But maybe it means to do a wrist snap at impact.

My blog

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2021, 20:50 

dunc wrote:
Similar to all of my strokes, if I loosen my grip, I find my consistency/safety increases significantly. Conversely if I grip tightly, I tend to get more spin. This applies on loops, chops and pushes!

I personally don't "pinch" chops at all. If the incoming ball has heavy spin, I consciously loosen my grip.

Interesting! I've been playing with a pretty loose grip as well for all my shots. Maybe I unconsciously tighten a bit, but keep hearing advice to pinch hard at the moment of impact (mostly for loops, but now also for chops) to increase spin/speed and maybe control?

I've been testing it for backhand chopping. Not sure about the results yet. Sometimes I feel it improves the chop and others not. Could be I pinched too early and no longer relaxing as much.

I guess what happens with a tight grip is that the bat vibrates less at impact giving less dampening of the incoming shot. Similar to using a stiffer blade (and why frictionless players like stiff blades for spin reversal?). Maybe it also increases the sweet spot. But then for some shots, you want more dampening.

My blog

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2021, 21:00 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

A tighter grip definitely doesn't increase speed for me. Tighter grip means more whole-arm tension, which means I get way less "whip" in both my backhand and forehand loops. I do find it increases spin though.

If I can play an entire game with a loose grip, I'll be more consistent. I consciously tell myself at the start of every point to loosen my grip. I usually swap my bat into the other hand until just before I serve or receive.

I noticed last night, on this topic, that I subconsciously grip tighter just before impact on my loops anyway, so if I aim to have a loose grip all of the time, my subconscious should help with applying the right amount of pressure at impact. Having a tight grip to start the stroke is killer for my game.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2021, 21:33 

dunc wrote:
A tighter grip definitely doesn't increase speed for me. Tighter grip means more whole-arm tension, which means I get way less "whip" in both my backhand and forehand loops. I do find it increases spin though.

If I can play an entire game with a loose grip, I'll be more consistent. I consciously tell myself at the start of every point to loosen my grip. I usually swap my bat into the other hand until just before I serve or receive.

I noticed last night, on this topic, that I subconsciously grip tighter just before impact on my loops anyway, so if I aim to have a loose grip all of the time, my subconscious should help with applying the right amount of pressure at impact. Having a tight grip to start the stroke is killer for my game.

Yes, I'm only trying out pinching at the moment of impact while still keeping relaxed up until impact (this could turn out to be the hard part). A tight grip during the stroke would be bad like you said you lose the whip.

Agree that we already do it unconsciously when looping and other shots or the bat would be flying out of my sweaty hand : ) My question is just whether to consciously try to grip even tighter at impact, and if it's just with thumb and index finger or more the whole hand.

I have a tournament tomorrow and worried that I'll fiddle with the grip instead of relaxing..

My blog

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2021, 22:39 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

I'd strongly, strongly recommend not thinking about your grip at all other than to perhaps loosen it before the point begins (unless you're naturally loose). Don't consciously think about your grip at any point during a point, it'll only lead to errors.

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2021, 23:36 

Blade: Defplay Senso
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Stiga Vertical 20 0.5mm
Joo Se Hyuk also talks about pinching or squeezing with his thumb & index right before contact with the ball in the ATTU video, starting at ~15:15

I don't think this technique is unique to chopping, or even table tennis for that matter. In boxing & martial arts, you're taught to keep your fist loose right until the moment before you contact the target, where you then squeeze your hand tight (to ensure that all your energy is transferred into the target, and also so you don't hurt your hand). This allows for better acceleration in your strike.

Going back to table tennis, the mechanics probably work the same. Keeping your muscles loose allows for better feeling, control, and acceleration, and you squeeze before the moment of contact so that the energy from your stroke is transferred into the ball and not into your arm or hand.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2021, 03:46 

Hopsquatch wrote:
Joo Se Hyuk also talks about pinching or squeezing with his thumb & index right before contact with the ball in the ATTU video, starting at ~15:15

I don't think this technique is unique to chopping, or even table tennis for that matter. In boxing & martial arts, you're taught to keep your fist loose right until the moment before you contact the target, where you then squeeze your hand tight (to ensure that all your energy is transferred into the target, and also so you don't hurt your hand). This allows for better acceleration in your strike.

Going back to table tennis, the mechanics probably work the same. Keeping your muscles loose allows for better feeling, control, and acceleration, and you squeeze before the moment of contact so that the energy from your stroke is transferred into the ball and not into your arm or hand.

Come to think of it it might have been this video I remember and not the other one :). Pretty sure I have seen this before. Thanks for posting!

My blog

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2021, 03:50 

dunc wrote:
I'd strongly, strongly recommend not thinking about your grip at all other than to perhaps loosen it before the point begins (unless you're naturally loose). Don't consciously think about your grip at any point during a point, it'll only lead to errors.

I'll try not to think about it at the tournament. I already have a other things that I'm working on like getting my FH loop in more often to work on.

My blog

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2021, 22:24 

After further experimentation, I think that when I'm playing confidently I naturally grip a bit harder when hitting the ball.

The interesting thing is that it seems to work in the opposite direction. Consciously pinching results in "confident shots" using full range of motion and with higher bat speed. Will report back after next tournament. Maybe its a placebo affect, but if it works, why not : )

My blog