OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 16:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2013, 07:47 

Just recently put Long pips on my BH as I love to play a defensive chopping game. I chop both on my FH and BH and a fairly decent "Beginner" player.
I just recently changed all my setup from a Joola Flame Extreme with Donic S2 and Adidas p6 inverted to my current setup for the past month - Andro Fibercomp Def with Xiom Vega Europe and Palio CK531

I have three Long Pip Rubbers, Butterfly Feint 2 1.0mm, TSP curl p1 .6mm, and Palio CK531 .6mm.
I've tried all three and Palio seems the easiest to control right off the bat. I have read/researched that TSP curl p1 would be best for the chopping game I aspire to but I've been having difficulties controlling it consistently on a mid distance chopping stroke. After just 1 week, I went back and put the Palio back in. There are people I play in Round robin that I beat with Palio but I get swept 3-0 or at best 3-1 with the TSP curl so it seemed like my game deteriorated quickly with TSP.
Question is how much time should I have given the TSP curl P1? I've read that TSP curl P4 is a good chopping LP with better control than the P1 sacrificing a bit of spin reversal and spin manipulation. Should I even consider it or just stick back the curl 1 on my blade and give it a month? ( or 2?) . Or do I just stick with my Palio.

I play 5 x week at around couple hours a day.

Thanks

Experimental Blade : Victas Koji Matushista Def : TSP Curl P1r LP .6 sponge : Giant Dragon Submarine Chop

My Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=25085

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2013, 09:05 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

use what you feel is right

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2013, 09:11 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
If you play 5x a week, that's a lot of practice opportunity for you. Play with a rubber that you feel comfortable with, and stick with it as long as you can, and improve your game around that equipment. You could try out other set up ( if you are an EJ ), but give chance to develop your main set up. I have been there, done that and now I'm sticking to one set up even though, I'm still trying other set up. :lol: .
In the end, enjoy the game.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2013, 11:02 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
As long as the glue lasts? :)

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2013, 12:59 
Super User

"How long to stick with a Rubber?"

How long will that rubber stick. :lol:

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2013, 21:10 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I'd say that it depends. The first thing you need to determine is, does the properties that the rubber has suit your game? For example, some players do better with stiff long pips, others do better with softer and more grippy long pips. So, the rubber might or might not suit what you want to do. If after a handful of sessions you don't feel like it suits your style, go ahead and switch. However, if you feel like the type of rubber suits what you want to do, then give it at least a month or two of heavy practice, as you need to get used to using the new equipment and give it a legitimate chance. Then, if you like it, play with it for as long as you feel it is not holding your game back, and be honest about your skills and whether or not it's truly the rubber or your skills that need improvement and change.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2013, 00:43 
Super User

As most here have said, stick with the Palio if it is working / what feels right. How someting feels and results are two big indicators on helping you find what is right for you. Use the Palio until you get everything from it you can. Professionals use P1r partially because of how hard and spinny their opponents hit the ball. I dont think P1r is optimal for beginners or at lower levels, although anyone can play with any surface given enough time. Good luck on the transition to defense! it is so much fun :-D

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2013, 02:12 
Super User

I'd go with FL2 1.0 mm