OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2013, 16:54 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I used a whole new setup with 1mm Reflectoid/.5mm Double Fish 1615 on a slow/hard TTMaster blade. Couldn't generate much backspin with the pips plus no power with the inverted.

Then I tried 1.1mm Tackiness Chop/Hellfire OX on the same type of blade but didn't like the feel so I went back to the first set up.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2013, 22:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You really need to get very heavy backspin to slow down the loops...perhaps try a softer blade with some more dwell time? You've probably got a few to choose from. ;)

Tackiness Chop should be good for generating heavy backspin, although I prefer tacky rubbers for real heavy backspin.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2013, 22:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
haggisv wrote:
You really need to get very heavy backspin to slow down the loops...perhaps try a softer blade with some more dwell time? You've probably got a few to choose from. ;)

Tackiness Chop should be good for generating heavy backspin, although I prefer tacky rubbers for real heavy backspin.

That is interesting. I find against the best opponents that the heavier the backspin the heavier the loop I get back. So against the best loopers I often played topspin to them and then chop their loop back. If I started with a chop their next loop would be too spinney for me to return.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2013, 22:55 
The King

vanjr wrote:
haggisv wrote:

That is interesting. I find against the best opponents that the heavier the backspin the heavier the loop I get back. So against the best loopers I often played topspin to them and then chop their loop back. If I started with a chop their next loop would be too spinney for me to return.

Against pretty much any opponent the variation in spin is probably more important than the spin itself. Even if you can play a superb backspin shot your opponent will get used to it. Same goes for serves, even the most fantastic serve will be returned eventually if the serve has the same spin every time.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2013, 18:47 

I think it can only work with a super slow blade and a super slow LP.
Because you don't have much time to react and need to slow down the topspins ...
Next problem that I see is to keep the ball low. Because otherwise it can be smashed easily when the ball is rising to high after someone plays on your LP.

Coach at WSA and modern defender.
Racket:
BTY T05 (2,1mm) - BTY Joo Se Hyuk, straight - TSP Curl P4 (1,5)

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014, 00:49 

Fab wrote:

any super slow LP that comes in mind?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014, 06:25 
Super User

sir-elrik wrote:
Fab wrote:

any super slow LP that comes in mind?

I just mentioned this in another thread http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=283729#p283729, but to elaborate yes it's very possible to defend use a variety of strokes from any distance. As Elvis56 mentioned above playing the same shot repeatedly will not work against higher level opponents.

I've been watching WJJ's instructional videos and he shows a least a dozen different strokes to control the point and throw opponents off balance. You can also watch his game videos like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP-zKKu_n3s, where he show off the full repertoire against a range of opponents a couple of which are very high level semi-pros. His mastery over spin is a sight to behold.

He uses a very plain OX racket with SP to serve and put away high returns. Just his SP serves are pretty incredible. Mere mortals should probably start off with something slow and controllable. Any slow def blade and 388D-1 or similar should work.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015, 12:18 

in low lvl everything possible, higher lvl: NOPE

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2015, 00:49 
Super User

I've seen pro Chen Weixing do close to the table chopping as a drill. His partner was a Chinese player around 2600 level and looping continuously to the backhand. Chen was standing about 6 feet from the table. He could return loop after loop from that distance with a very full chop stroke. But it was obviously a speed exercise, or maybe just for fun and probably only possible for someone with world class reflexes and stroke. From that distance he would sometimes end the drill with a counter attack top spin backhand type stroke with the pips.

On a local level, we had a double wing long pips player who chopped closer and closer to the table as he got older. Played into his 80's and stayed no more than a step and a half back from the table. Maintained a 1700 rating for years with virtually no attacking strokes.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2015, 05:28 
Super User

Blade: dr neubauer firewall +
FH: DHS skyline 3 neo 2.15 mm
BH: Dr. Neubauer Agressor 1.5
Tsp P3r alpha is pretty good to block top spin and some attack too ! Just a block and the ball goes back low and floating. My coach, when I succeed to do that, was having problems to spin against it. He always pushing back. ( She was playing for the B team national of china).

You can do it close or mid distance. I liked it at about 2 to 3 feet from the table.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2015, 00:59 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

A couple videos I've found looking around:

These look pretty close to the table.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2015, 02:54 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Tried it. Disaster. Gotta figure out something else.

It would be a mistake to think you can learn this (or any new technique) in a day or two. How long did it take to learn to loop ?
Close to the table chop is a real technique, usually with the blade more vertical and using an up to down stroke (look at Matsushita's technique - when he moves in close, the blade angle changes ).

I think to be realistic it will take most players thousands of reps and months of drills and probably year to be able to use smoothly in competition.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2019, 11:39 

Blade: Nittaku Tiluna
FH: Donic Bules T1
BH: Dawei 388D
Elvis56 wrote:
Depending on the level you play at I would say yes it's possible. At a certain level you will most likely not be able to chop incoming balls anymore. Against lower ranked/less skilled players this will work for sure. Not being very mobile forces you to a more or less fixed position and probably leave your fh open.

What definitely helps when chopping near the table is taking the ball late and/or even behind your body on fh with an almost stretched arm. This sounds more complicated than it is, but the idea is to hit the ball later without moving backwards. Rotating your body a bit and stretching your arm helps with this.

Thanks for this info, very helpful.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2019, 00:59 
Super User

Blade: dr neubauer firewall +
FH: DHS skyline 3 neo 2.15 mm
BH: Dr. Neubauer Agressor 1.5
What chen weixing is doing is call Rip Chop. You get the ball at almost shoulder height and chop the ball vertically. The ball returning with underspin and vertically down. When you succeed to get that the opponent has to cover your ball rebound and has a high arc to counter that shot. It then become an easier ball to rip chop again as the ball doen't go horizontal that much so not a lot of speed. If he dare to push you the ball return will be high and be ready to attack with you forehand.

I know a guy also who play against heavy loop with a side chop block and redirecting the ball to the opposite side of the table: ex: You are a right arm player defender and a loop is coming from your right side ( spinning also right to left). You then just chop block counter the ball right after the bounce by putting the tip of your blade toward the table with an angle the will send the ball to the left and short. You probably have to practice this shot a lot to do that but any looper too far from the table will hate this shot.