OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 01:15 
Super User

So, you are right they are polar opposites fast vs slow, grippy vs not, sponge vs not etc.

The 1 thing that I really like about the FL2 is I can counter attack topspin, so if someone loops into my BH and I am suck at the table I block aggresively and come up the back or a little over the ball and give them complete junk (or attack is more aggresively and return slow topsin), really throws off peoples timing. Then they can Loop into the BH and I can chop block (not as good of a chop block or passive block as Dtecs, but the variation of the counter + twiddling is enough to really throw peoples timing off).

On service return I can do a similar thing, instead of pushing with Dtecs on most service return. The Dtecs OX push allows me to have good control where I put the ball and how aggresively I push it, but it will give spin depending on what the opponent serves. With the FL2 I can push, side swipe, and do this brush up the ball stroke to almost any serve and throws opponents timing off. Also with the sponge you have a choice of dropping it short and taking off spin. The tricky part is perfecting your push to get similar spin continuation. You can get similar (not quite as good) spin continuation with a sideswipe, but because the stroke looks vastly different than the push opponents arent quite as fooled.

In chopping it gives a lot more control, to control depth and spin / no spin / adding sidespin etc.

Basically the FL2 gives a lot more control and different options against topsin, especially with it have sponge vs the no sponge Dtecs. I do wish it would play faster though, because the speed of the Dtecs is part of what makes it great, but the slowness of the FL2 is what gives it its control factors, you are forced to have better strokes with the slowness and the sponge of the FL2, you get less cheap points (as the spin continuation on the Dtecs is so immense), and you have to build your points more. If you can take advantage of increased control and building points to your advantage you can gain from playing with the sponge.

I think this is one of the main reasons why I think most choppers play with sponge, the need to be able to control the ball more. P1r has similar properties, but it is faster can impart more backspin and is probably a little more spin sensitive, in those regards I think it is harder to use. I made the switch solely to start learning the LP game with a sponge and I think FL2 is not a bad place to start

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 01:48 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
And then you'll meet someone that just SMASHES IT TO SMITHEREENS at you, LOL.

It does work vs lower level players, and works some at a higher levels until they figure it out.

At least that's been my experience

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 02:34 
Super User

Just as any other shot (especially pips shots) placement and height go along way in making a good ball. I seem to have to control to aim at elbows, wide, keep low, where they are not.. its hasn't been getting laced. The FL2 has great control. This and most often opponents are exactly sure what is on that ball and the amount of the spin varies depending on the stroke and what was originally on the ball.

As of late I have been playing really well (for me) taking games off the 2000+ people now.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 08:56 
Super User

I'm at an intermediate level too so for me, and this might have been said already, it depends on the opponent. The advanced loopers will not let me chop, they would have won the point or lost it already. But at my level, if I get to chop, let alone three times, I think it doesnt matter as much because a high chop may be difficult to handle if it has lots of backspin...just getting it to three chops increases the chance that you will win at my level (time favours the chopper) and the guys I play with will just goof up by then...also the third chop should be harder to keep low because by then the spin would have built up by the looper who keeps adding more spin naturally to avoid netting it...

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 09:18 
Super User

Sadly....I get all the great advice :clap: about chopping and I probably have 2 more years....at most...to play that style. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to old to be running around the court shagging balls.

A year ago I could play all night....but I wasn't moving around as much.

Now....after hitting a little bit to warm up and 3 matches I'm shot. Toast. :headbang:

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 10:08 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
treetop wrote:
Sadly....I get all the great advice :clap: about chopping and I probably have 2 more years....at most...to play that style. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to old to be running around the court shagging balls.

A year ago I could play all night....but I wasn't moving around as much.

Now....after hitting a little bit to warm up and 3 matches I'm shot. Toast. :headbang:

I have the same problem already and I'm trying to learn to play up at the table and attack, and block, and chop block, and use both rubbers on both sides to try to stay competitive.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 14:28 
Super User

Quote:
I have the same problem already and I'm trying to learn to play up at the table and attack, and block, and chop block, and use both rubbers on both sides to try to stay competitive.

Quote:
I probably have 2 more years....at most...to play that style. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to old to be running around the court shagging balls.

For all of us non-pro's who don't loop too much and prefer defence, me included, the pushblocker style is the way to go and the final stop I guess..."The Alpha and the Omega". That's why I watch his videos and study other pb's, for the sole reason that that is the most efficient way to play the game so you might as well start right at the very beginning but there is plenty of room on the bandwagon to join up later...and for choppers out there, no worries cause your skills will still be needed, there's always room to do a little chopping at the table or a step or two back when required while still blocking at the table...I think that makes for a very competitive style especially if you choose the right material.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015, 12:56 

y are truly lost

defply is not good def blade (good for amateurs)
because is slow, and have lot of vibration
good def blade: Butterfly Hadrawshield, Matsushita Pro, maybe defence pro or joo se hyuk

use OX? now way ox is the worst option, you need use 1mm lp sponge (tsp p1r)
and learn with it, if you want evolve.
if you not, ply ox with whatewer blade.

and chen weixing is a s*** blade in my view.