OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 22:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2013, 19:46 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Personally RL I think I'd try and stick with inverted for the time being.

In my opinion service receive is one of the hardest elements of the game - up to a certain point. If you fear receiving serve because you think your opponent will catch you out, you'll make mistakes regardless of the rubbers you use on your bat.

Up to now I've gone through phases of having difficulties with particular types of serve. To begin with it was heavy backspin, then when I started using SPs to learn to chop it became heavy topspin serves to my backhand. Now, granted I use LPs, but I twiddle an awful lot to receive serve too - and I love topspin serves to my backhand, whether I'm using LP or inverted. Bizarrely, I now tend to struggle more with heavy, fast topspin serves to my forehand because the timing is so important. No spin serves to my pimples occasionally catch me out too but that's another story entirely.

If you play and play and play you'll realise that, as CM says, there's only so much a serve can do. A serve can't be both backspin and topspin, nor can they swerve one way then the other - the ball has to follow the rules of the game and the rules of physics! You'll start learning to receive pendulum serves effectively, and then you'll start to realise that generally when a player comes "up" the ball on contact, it'll have topspin on. That's my absolute number one tip - ignore the action, ignore the animated swinging of arms and bats, ignore the ball being thrown 10ft into the air - pay attention only to the contact that the bat makes on the ball.

What I'm trying to say is - stick with learning. Don't use the rubbers as a crutch. When you start to get a bit of confidence with serve receive, your game will improve exponentially - as will your enjoyment. But you've gotta work at it and you HAVE to pay attention. If you half look away when you're receiving serve you will lose many, many points.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 05:41 
Super User

For me one of the best things about short pips was using the topspin stroke to the backhand. This stroke is half loop /half counter drive. You use and an abbreviated back swing but keep the head of the paddle upwards, sink the ball into the sponge and wood and follow through to about should height. It kinda looks like an inverted j or L from a right hander.

Top or side spin serves maybe your inverted j is a 45 degree angle or back spin close to 90-you want to get the ball as soon of the bounce as possible on topspin and at the top of the rise on backspin. The key is placement especially after you get above 1700 (American rating) or you will eat a lot of balls.

Stiga Radical is excellent with this stroke and so is 802-40. Plain 802 can do this too with some modification. If you get a topspin backhand ball back to you, BH to BH....well you are using short pips, right?....CRUNCH! :devil:

Ian

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 09:50 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Thanks dunc for the great advice. I will stick to my current set up and may try ( and feel ) sp or lp, but in the long run, I will continual'ly improve on my service return. :)

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 06:08 

Ian thanks for the explanation. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 06:21 

Ian one or anyone that understands the the stroke? one clarification question. I know your moving more forward or the stroke has the 45° angle but do you still keep your bat angle upward (12 to 6 o'clock) when hitting it against topspin or side spin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk