OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 12:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 09:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

As a "new" to the style of Long Pip Blocking with a pen hold bat. I came to the game as a default for not being able to move very well and the first video I saw is of Hiromasa Takemura who is is like gazelle at the table...Oh well, at least I now know there are different ways to exploit the genre.

Thus far I have tried a Ross Leidy U-S-B blade, a Matsushita Pro and a Giant Dragon Balsa Plus that I modified to more easily accommodate a c-pen style. Each surely has advantages that I have yet to exploit.

In my trials, to date, I have coupled them with the following OX rubber sheets: Dawei 388D-1, Pallio CK531A, and my favorite, to date is Kokutaku 911. The combination, of those mentioned, that worked best for me has been the modified Balsa Plus with the Kokutaku911.

I twiddle only to serve (Friendship 729 in 2.0)

I also play the rare RPB.

Welcome to the journey of exploration.

What qualities do you believe would be most advantageous in blade and rubber combination for this style of play?

tOD

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 12:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I must make an apology, I totally forgot to mention the first real classy long pips pen hold blocker I encountered, at least in a video sense...Peter Chen, the man, the myth, the ledgend. I will conceed that his best play, as far as I know, was during days of the frictionless long pimples.

If anyone has any video of Peter that would be available to add to our section I would certainly appreciate having it for everyone to view.
tOD

I think Peter and I are of an age, so that adds to my appreciation of what his sucess really means. Actually I think he is a little over a year older than me. To give a bit of perspective, Peter went over 2300 when he was sixty seven.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 16:46 
Super User

I think the penhold style itself has more advantages then being a shakehander. Everyother senior that I meet plays penhold whether hitter, looper, or blocker. i'm not sure what exactly the right qualities are, that I perceive, that give this superior adavantage...I can only say that i have met more penholders from China than shakehandersand that they give me a harder time on average - my guess is the ease of using the fh to roll over low balls and the ease of acceleration with high margin for error.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 19:22 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
theOldDuffer wrote:
If anyone has any video of Peter that would be available to add to our section I would certainly appreciate having it for everyone to view.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7514

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 21:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
theOldDuffer wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7514

Thanks, I should have thought to have posted that link, myself.

One of the things I particularly like about P.C.'s style is how relaxed he generally looks. Being relaxed has always been one of my strong points, except at the table where I could really use it.
tOD

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2013, 08:16 

Just switched from 388D1 to Talon in red. Still playing with my Ross Leidy U-S-B and loving it

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2013, 09:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

jrod2321 wrote:
Just switched from 388D1 to Talon in red. Still playing with my Ross Leidy U-S-B and loving it

I am using Talon in red OX and a Cpen Ross made especially for Pen hold blocking. It plays great with diagonally aligned Semple (sp?) outer plys and cork handle. As usual it is stunningly beautiful.
tOD

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2013, 10:31 
Super User

I'd like to mention Zhou Xintong...c-pen..

Blade : Nittaku Runlox 5 ( changed, now it's an Avalox, probably a 550 or 555, if it's not Nittaku Bizelox C )
fh: Dawei 388D-1, red, OX
bh: TSP Spectol, black, 1.7-1.9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th2OqDSBsRc

and this, first match, against Wu Yang
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmv_yuZqUUE

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2014, 03:46 
Super User

I previously just switched to this style after playing a duel inverted cpen game for a good while. Being naturally inclined to perform the TBH, I'm finding this style wonderfuly strategic & confusing for my opponents. Really turns it into a thinkers game which I appreciate. I can honestly say I'm playing 200 points better than I was before. All this while still being very new to long pips.

I like to attack more & twiddle more often to play aggressive inverted strokes but I'm enjoying/trying to learn how others attack so well with their Long pips.

I got these videos in another board's thread. She uses Palio ck531a (which I just got super cheap) on her forehand.

If anybody knows her name for sure, please be sure to let me know. thanks.

http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/ ... ODA4/v.swf

http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/ ... Mzg0/v.swf

http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/ ... Njgw/v.swf

http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/ ... NjQw/v.swf

http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/ ... NzE2/v.swf

http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/ ... Nzc2/v.swf

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2014, 03:49 
Super User

Also think this player demonstrates fast twiddling and good attacking strokes for long pips.