OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 11:51 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Just wondering generally what type of blade is more suited to inverted chopping. Hard/soft, fast/slow. Looking for general views and the reason why.

If we are being specific, would a hard OFF+ blade be suitable with Mark V rubbers or does a blade need more dwell time to generate the spin?

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 15:19 
Super User

You almost can't go slow enough with both blade and esp rubber with inverted chopping.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 20:35 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I would guess your balance between defence and attack decides that, and what blade and rubber you prefer. I use Victas Koji Matsushita blade and Victas VS 401 1.8 mm on FH. That works great for both attacking and chopping (also BH chopping). 1.5 mm is much easier to chop with, but attacks are quite a bit slower and the feeling is different since the sponge is thinner. You could use a fast blade with thin rubbers, that would also be great for blocking. Or a slower blade with slightly faster and thicker rubber.
I would start with a Stiga Allround blade and some rubbers like Mark V in 1.8 mm or perhaps 1.5 mm (or some cheap Friendship rubbers in 1.5). Then you can experiment and decide how much defence and how much attack to play. After that you can refine your setup if needed.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 20:39 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

How much spin you get from chopping has more to do with timing and how swift/hard you are able to chop without placing the ball too far. Speed of rubber, thickness, blade speed and softness are a few parameters to consider. But over alm control that the setup has is probably most important, I would guess.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 20:45 
Super User

Honestly unless you read spin particularly well or have the time+inclination to learn to do so, inverted chopping is an exercise in futility.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 21:18 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Lucky its not me, a guy at our club is a mature player that is never going to change. Despite being playing a long time, I'd have to say he's beginner/intermediate. We had a hit the other night and swapped bats and he really liked my allround bat and mentioned maybe he should get a new one so it got me thinking that perhaps an OFF+ may not be suitable to chopper.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 05:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
If you are mainly chopping a slow blade (as in def, def+ or all-) hard blade would be my preference. With a thinner sponged, tacky chinese rubber with hard sponge. Max sponged Mark V could work if the sheet was 5 years old (and never cleaned, boosted or tuned). I do not think an Off+ (or even an off-) would be a good option for anyone who wants to chop.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 09:30 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Great, I might try sell him one of my spare ALL blades then :lol: The Mark V pretty much fits that description minus 2 years.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 10:40 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I think Pinkewich in his prime used a Stiga Allround with Mark V both sides and he was rather good. He may still use the same blade. Any ALL blade should be fine. An OFF blade for chopping is not wise. Mark V isnt cheap - Why not get him something like H3? It would probably suit him better anyway.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 21:11 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Thanks for the suggestion. ALL blade with h3 sounds good, remembering that he not a real chopper as in taking the ball of the table at knee height, just every shot is jabby backspin.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 22:36 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Cobalt wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. ALL blade with h3 sounds good, remembering that he not a real chopper as in taking the ball of the table at knee height, just every shot is jabby backspin.

H3 can be difficult to find with thin sponge. It should be 1.8 mm or thinner. PF4 is a very good tacky rubber for chopping and allround play. One of Swedens best vets (75 years) uses that on BF for chopping and smashing (he uses AntiPower on FH). Huge backspin from PF4 :up:.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2015, 01:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Def-attack wrote:
Cobalt wrote:

H3 can be difficult to find with thin sponge. It should be 1.8 mm or thinner. PF4 is a very good tacky rubber for chopping and allround play. One of Swedens best vets (75 years) uses that on BF for chopping and smashing (he uses AntiPower on FH). Huge backspin from PF4 :up:.

PF4 would be great. I have only seen it in 2.0 sponge, but that sponge is so hard it doesn't matter that the sponge is that thick. sounds like a good set up for him.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2015, 16:10 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

So it appears as though a soft ALL blade with some harder tacky rubbers in 1,8mm or less must be suitable. Nearly the opposite of what is being used now.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2015, 20:53 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
This very hard to answer, conflicting views to be expected. :)

Blade Bounce Speed.
While agree that slower blade easier for chopping, faster blade needed for quicker return, as chopper generally play far from the table.

Personally I choose slow blade

Flexibility
Should be high to increase dwell time, also means more difficult blocking

I personally divided between high and medium flex here, cause I do blocking

Surface Hardness
Should be soft to increase dwell time, and yes, blocking is also more difficult

Personally torn between soft and medium by the same reason

Size
This the only parameter I am firm, the blade must be tall and wide, or oversize, and thin, cause much of the strokes shall be
slashing or brushing type, rather than hitting type, and large blade minimise “fanning” due to air drag. :)

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2015, 21:43 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
I wouldn't go for very fast composite blades without 'feeling'. Apart from that, everything is a matter of preference and skill level I think. I got used to chopping with Bluefire JP3 1.8 (on the fast side, average softness) on JSH blade. When I shortly tried chopping with H3N last week, I just couldn't get the ball over the net anymore... A matter of getting used to it.

One important factor to consider is the weight of the blade. If you choose a large-sized defensive blade like JSH and put hard tacky rubbers on it, the weight can get pretty high, unless of course you choose for 2 x 1.5 thickness (but still then..). If you want to combine chopping with FH looping attacks, I suppose 1.8 would be a better choice on FH.

Best way to find out what suits you best, is to try some set-ups, I guess :angel:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!