OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Loops going long
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 16:47 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
No offense taken, be mean all you like, its the truth. This thread was actually written prior to me seeing myself on video and realising how bad I was. I guess in my own mind though, I class a loop when I can't feel any contact with the blade and its more or a muffled 'doof' sound when I hit it compared to a 'crack' when the blade is engaged on a more flat hit.

The plan is to practice the counterhitting this weekend and perhaps take a video of that so you can tell me whether I'm on the right track.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 23:40 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Cobalt wrote:

The plan is to practice the counterhitting this weekend and perhaps take a video of that so you can tell me whether I'm on the right track.

An excellent idea. Feel free to post the video. Remember to keep your stroke simple and straightforward. Focus on your follow thru, minimal wrist, weight transference, and starting position.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2014, 19:05 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
New video added in member videos section - Cobalt and Tangles Training.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2014, 21:15 

@cobalt,

I have seen the videos and I really can see the enthusiasm in both you and tangles wanting to get better, which is AWESOME! What I have to say is a constructive feedback :)

PRW wrote:
Cobalt, very difficult to learn a loop in that garage you play in - hardly any space to move, or even transfer your weight. Can the table be moved so at least one side has more space?

+1

@cobalt, are you able to make more space, lengthwise? It seems very confined. I think you need about 1 meter more space behind the table, particularly for looping practice. Ideally, you want most of that extra space to be behind you. Perhaps you could align the table with one of the garage doors and open that relevant door? Just don't hit or run into the centre beam sitting between the two doors.

Quote:
I agree with carbonman - what you are doing is not a loop - it is a roll/ low lob. Need to be more agressive, more "driving" in the shot...

+1

I think this is largely due to the confined space which is preventing you from making the full stroke, and in the long run through practice in confined spaces, you compensate / develop incorrect techniques. Once that space for practice is fixed, you will have more freedom to express your stroke/s and do so correct techniques without space restriction. I think you have a reasonable idea on how to loop but you need the space to do the stroke correctly.