OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2013, 06:40 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
To me, serving is the single most important stroke in table tennis! This is the only oppurtunity you have to all by yourself decide where to put the ball, what spin and speed to put on it. After the serve there are always factors out of your control imparting spin, speed and placement to the ball. This moment, when you hit the ball for the first time within a single point or rally, is way too important for the outcome of that rally to just make a toss and slap the ball with your paddle. You need to know what you want to do with your serve, how to do it and what you what the serve to force your opponent to do. If you master that, you will most likely win the point. And if you win all your serving ponts, you will most likely win your match :)
I would like to kick off this section and this thread, dedicated to the art of serving, with a salute to the Master of serving himself, the Evergreen Tree, Jan Ove Waldner, who by the way turns 48 this perticular day :clap:. Could that be a sign? We'll see ;)

In this section we will discuss all aspects of serving - spin, placement, speed, BH, FH, practicing, tactics, toss, etc. Feel free to start threads with questions or tips or other. Later on I may try to figure out some kind of structure to organize the threads.
I think videos is a great help when discussing serves, and there are lots of tutorials out there. Please try to illustrate your questions, tips or thoughts with videos, that way we can all help each other be better servers and better players. Maybe one day we can be as good as Mr Liu Gouliang himself:

Also, one of my personal favourites and source of inspiration, Dimitij Ovtcharov:

And onother very inspirational plaer with amazing serves, Kenta Matsudaira:

Play well!

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2013, 21:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Certainly most of us should have great serves-its the one thing we can always practice by ourselves! But I still think serve return is the most important stroke:)

Look forward to learning from the discussions.