OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Grip change after serve
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2012, 15:00 

I play with a deep shake hand grip. While serving i hold the blade head with my thumb and index. after that I find difficulty in coming back to my normal grip.. That is I need a bit of time to shuffle the paddle in my hand and place it in a comfortable grip. But the problem is that most of the time the ball comes back much before I can do that. Hence I am forced to do a half shot. Even the ball is hittable, I cant hit it just cause i am still not comfortable with the grip. I nedd 2 rallies to get to my normal grip and then only i can attack again. Can anyone help please? What should I do?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2012, 15:50 
Super User

maybe your normal shakehand grip is too deep, hence the reason why its hard for you to find it again after serving. You should start practicing the grip change until it becomes second nature to you.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2012, 16:21 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

I wonder if your service grip is the problem. The service grip that is most popular is only a slight variation of a typical shakehand grip where you simply tuck your fingers into your palm. Have a look at this from McAfee's, Table Tennis: Steps to Success.

Attachment:
servegrip.jpg
servegrip.jpg [ 108.35 KiB | Viewed 8827 times ]

McAfee wrote:
If you hold the racket with a shake-hands grip, change to a forehand serve grip when executing forehand serves. Grip your racket between your thumb and forefinger, holding the blade, not the handle (attached image). The fingers should be completely off racket and in a closed position. This type of grip allows for greater movement of the wrist, which aids in producing spin and in disguising the serve. After serving, simply open your bottom fingers and regrip the racket in the shake-hands grip to continue the point. Because the pen-hold grip already allows for full wrist movement, no grip change is needed.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2012, 16:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

lifesamd wrote:
I play with a deep shake hand grip. While serving i hold the blade head with my thumb and index. after that I find difficulty in coming back to my normal grip.. That is I need a bit of time to shuffle the paddle in my hand and place it in a comfortable grip. But the problem is that most of the time the ball comes back much before I can do that. Hence I am forced to do a half shot. Even the ball is hittable, I cant hit it just cause i am still not comfortable with the grip. I nedd 2 rallies to get to my normal grip and then only i can attack again. Can anyone help please? What should I do?

My practical advice for you is to simply loosen up a bit from your normal playing grip to serve. "Serve then return to ready position" should be as seamless as possible. It's far easier to change your service grip than your playing grip, so start with it first.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 06:55 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
I occasionally don't switch fast enough myself. I then proceed to lose th point. :@

I think just practicng the motion by itself could be good to do. Also, if you practice serves by themselves (apparently this a REALLY good thing to do), ALWAYS go into ready position after each serve.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 07:03 

Practice is everything ... well, almost. I agree with The Gamer that when practising it's important to be disciplined about it - at least some of the time. Service practice can be one of the most lonely and boring things to do, but a little here and there will give results.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 16:51 

Thanks.. I will try that. Ya lot of people are asking me to use a shallower grip. But the thing is that, with a shallow grip, I feel uncomfortable and feel that i dont have total control on the racquet. I will try to loosen up bit by bit.. :)

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 17:02 

lifesamd wrote:
Thanks.. I will try that. Ya lot of people are asking me to use a shallower grip. But the thing is that, with a shallow grip, I feel uncomfortable and feel that i dont have total control on the racquet. I will try to loosen up bit by bit.. :)

There is a fine line between being too loose and clutching too hard. Once I was too loose with my grip and my bat flew away. Funny thing is when your bat flies away like that you soon learn what is a better grip.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2012, 14:42 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Practice often and it will be second nature to you.

I used to be too conscious about my service grip but become accustomed to it after more practice. Hold it very relax..

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2013, 23:36 
Super User

There now appears to be three main approaches when serving shakehand:

1) The bat is held between the thumb and index finger, allowing a wide range of motion. The remaining three fingers are kept off the handle throughout the service.

2) The bat is still held between the thumb and index finger at the beginning of the service, but the remaining three fingers are used to increase the spin by tightening on the handle during the service motion, increasing the speed of the snap.

3) The bat is held normally, with no grip change at all. The wrist is used to provide spin variation. I have seen this more often of late, perhaps it is making a comeback?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2013, 23:40 
Super User

This is the grip that I am going to use the next weeks!!!!

Attachments:
saque-grip.jpg
saque-grip.jpg [ 52.25 KiB | Viewed 8483 times ]

PostPosted: 03 May 2021, 21:34 

Blade: Tibhar lebesson
FH: Xiom vega europe 2.0
BH: Stiga DNA future 2.1
I am a shakehander but resently i had practice quite a lot my serve with chinese penhold grip and i like its deceptiveness very much. Do you think its possible to serve penhold and then change to penhold or ther isn time?

PostPosted: 04 May 2021, 00:22 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

What happens when you try it?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 May 2021, 02:49 

Blade: Tibhar lebesson
FH: Xiom vega europe 2.0
BH: Stiga DNA future 2.1
iskandar taib wrote:
What happens when you try it?

Iskandar

I dont want to lose even in practice so i keep my normal serve in practice games till now Hahaha
I just want to know if someone had experience in changing grip after serve in actual games. I mean from penhold serve to shakehand third ball

PostPosted: 04 May 2021, 03:27 

Blade: Grubba
FH: Tenergy
BH: Desto
vc15 wrote:
I mean from penhold serve to shakehand third ball

https://www.whoiswallygreen.com/

I heard Wally Green does this regularly (Or did this) ?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!