OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2017, 19:34 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
3rd January

Five mins serving on the table, again focussing on pure backspin. Having the net in the way makes a big difference, and I started worrying about height and distance more than spin. Managed a few which stopped or stopped and went sideways but not which went backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 01:52 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Are you using the magic pattern?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duv4HS2TUvs

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 04:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Backwards is overrated. Isn't there a ttedge video about short fast serves?

My two cents is worry about generating a lot of spin first. Use the pattern, and take care of height and length later.

If winning points is the goal and not abstract serve geometry, it's worth noting that up to USATT 1800 level one of the most unreturnable serves is heavy backspin to the bh that bounces 9-10 inches high. People want to go hard at it because it's high, and they can't.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 04:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I'm on my own today so it's ball drop bhs and flicks, and about 600 serves ( 4 kinson bags worth). All sorts first half then the rest reverse side-under (attempted anyway.)

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 07:44 
LP Collector
LP Collector

January 4th

Five minutes on the table while waiting for my coach. I changed my grip slightly, from having my index finger extended to the whole blade sandwiched between my thumb and fist. I think it was a positive step.

Best results yet in terms of spin generation. Definitely could feel when I was brushing the ball nicely. Got a good few balls to actually come back towards the net.

Did a few mins later with my coach watching and he said it's an improvement. Better control of the wrist.

I planned to video today but I discovered too late that the battery needed to be charged.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 07:45 
LP Collector
LP Collector

NextLevel wrote:
Are you using the magic pattern?

I don't know what the magic pattern is, so obviously not!

I'll watch the video now!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 09:09 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

BRS wrote:
Backwards is overrated. Isn't there a ttedge video about short fast serves?

My two cents is worry about generating a lot of spin first. Use the pattern, and take care of height and length later.

If winning points is the goal and not abstract serve geometry, it's worth noting that up to USATT 1800 level one of the most unreturnable serves is heavy backspin to the bh that bounces 9-10 inches high. People want to go hard at it because it's high, and they can't.

Backwards is overrated if you are lobbing the ball. Backwards is underrated if you can do it on a low trajectory serve that ventures to the edge.

That's why I refer people to the magic pattern. Even getting it wrong tends to improve the spin on your serve.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 15:54 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Quote:
That's why I refer people to the magic pattern. Even getting it wrong tends to improve the spin on your serve.

I liked the video. Going to work on that today. Thanks!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 19:11 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRNBCxOloDg

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 21:08 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
When practicing serves the tendency is to serve and then stand and watch the ball go off the end of the table before reaching straight down, picking up a ball and serving straightaway again.

Does anyone practice serving as they would do in a match ie slow it down, set your self, think about what, where to, how fast etc you're intending to serve, then serve and move straight into your ready position based on where and what type of return you'd expect back off that serve - maybe even shadow play your next shot before reaching for the next ball to serve?

Not including moving into your ready position as part of practicing serving can embed bad habits when you come to actually serve in a match ie you stand there watching your serve and fail to prepare for a return or as soon as the point is over you rush into serving your next serve without much thought for what you're doing.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 23:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Debater wrote:
Does anyone practice serving as they would do in a match ie slow it down, set your self, think about what, where to, how fast etc you're intending to serve, then serve and move straight into your ready position based on where and what type of return you'd expect back off that serve - maybe even shadow play your next shot before reaching for the next ball to serve?

I sometimes play a solitaire serving game at the end of my practice. I keep score to 11, and mix serves like I would in a match. If the serve is good, spinny, low, short or however it is supposed to be I get a point, if not then I lose one. When I'm doing that I do the full recovery and between point routine just like a match. But I do most of my serve practice rapid-fire to get the reps in the time.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2017, 00:15 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
NextLevel wrote:

That's a massive improvement on the first video! Good net clearance heights and mostly more spin it would appear. I particularly like the variant that goes cross table.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

185g

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2017, 06:10 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

so_devo wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

That's a massive improvement on the first video! Good net clearance heights and mostly more spin it would appear. I particularly like the variant that goes cross table.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Thanks. My serves in general have improved a lot but this particular one has fallen apart for a variety of reasons. What you told me and a minor swing snd grip change fixed most of it so I appreciate it. Also explained to me something that had been happening recently that I couldn't explain.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2017, 06:47 
Super User

My current backspin serve mechanics. Spin is getting heavier:

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2017, 07:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Ringer84 wrote:
My current backspin serve mechanics. Spin is getting heavier:

Nice serve Ringer! This is what I was getting at when I said backwards is overrated. Maybe I should have said backwards on the table is overrated.

Yoko Ono

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next