OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Is the forum faster since the move (20-10-19)?
Clearly faster 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
Not much different 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Clearly Slower 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2019, 20:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've moved the forum to a much newer and faster server, so we should see significant speed improvements.

As usual, if you have any issues, post them here or let me know via PM, and I'll try and address them. I expect you should see no difference apart from faster response times.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2019, 22:29 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Great. We needed it. :rock: :party: :up: :clap:

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2019, 23:41 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
This forum is a great community of players with different levels of passion for tt,....I am so glad that being from Australia - people call you the down under ones,which is great unless you are joking -far away from so many of us, the spirit,unity and friendliness of tt pervades the forum; of course, like in all families conflicts do arise but this is life . :lol: :lol:

This forum has helped,helps and is helping a great number of players across the planet .The sharing of valuable information has guided lots of people in the right direction .I congratulate all the founders ,moderators,family of the founders and moderators :lol: :lol: on this huge success .

Thank you so much for having the opportunity to be here and make friends with excellent people . :rock: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2019, 04:40 
Super User

Fantastic haggisv. Only wish my response/reaction at the table is just as fast. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2019, 06:02 
Super User

Blade: Joola Xylo 7
FH: Battle 2 National 38
BH: TTR-Killer
Congrats! That's great! :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2019, 11:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks guys!

It does seem a bit more swift, although for me it's usually fast enough, even though the server is located in USA. The USA guys should notice the biggest difference.

For those interested, the site uses Cloudflare, which has servers in most countries, which helps speed things up. Cloudflare was implemented about a year ago, when we suffered some DDOS attacks, and Cloudflare did a great job protecting against that, and we've not had any such issues for a long time now.

The new server also offers better security, and unlimited disk space, so I can now increase the quota of PMs and attachment uploads. :rock:

Has anyone noticed speed improvements?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2019, 12:50 
Super User

Hi Haggis,

I notice moving within threads to be noticeably faster. However, Firefox shows the page as trying to connect with Facebook which causes moving between pages a lot slower (This is coming from China where Facebook is blocked).

I have the same initial load slowdown with TTD. I assume something to do with APIs? Don't quote me, not an IT expert.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2019, 16:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

lasta wrote:
Hi Haggis,

I notice moving within threads to be noticeably faster. However, Firefox shows the page as trying to connect with Facebook which causes moving between pages a lot slower (This is coming from China where Facebook is blocked).

I have the same initial load slowdown with TTD. I assume something to do with APIs? Don't quote me, not an IT expert.

Fixed! :rock: Better now?

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2019, 17:45 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
lasta wrote:
Hi Haggis,

Fixed! :rock: Better now?

Yes, beautiful! But now my work time productivity is taking another dip. Care to propose a fix?

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2019, 17:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

lasta wrote:
Yes, beautiful! But now my work time productivity is taking another dip. Care to propose a fix?
Hah hah :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BTW I've switched on a few other Cloudflare options to speed up loading, namely Railgun and Rocket Loader. The site is absolutely flying at the moment, I've never seen it this fast. :rock: As usual, if there are any issues, let me know.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 19:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Although the forum is now running on a much faster server, some of you would have noticed it running quite sluggish at certain in the last few days.
This is because there have been swarms of spammers / spambots continuously hitting the forum at times, I'm not sure what they're trying to do.

Anyway, I think I've now implemented some measures to block them using a few different methods, so hopefully it will be back to normal. It's been running very fast for me since I've made the changes, so hopefully it will stay this way, at least for a while ;) It's a never ending battle between spam bots, and websites trying to block them.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2019, 11:45 
My Precious

FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
When I tried to get on the forum late Saturday night (SA time) I couldn't it said it couldn't find our server :n:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2019, 12:00 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Gollum wrote:
When I tried to get on the forum late Saturday night (SA time) I couldn't it said it couldn't find our server :n:

I have not seen that happen myself, but it may have been during times when the wave of spam-bots hit the forum, causing it to be so slow it timed out.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2019, 02:22 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
Just a few mins ago the site wasn't opening with the "max MySQL connections" error.

BTW, the error message seems to display the MySQL admin username which doesn't seem to be a good security practice.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2019, 12:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

ziv wrote:
Just a few mins ago the site wasn't opening with the "max MySQL connections" error.

BTW, the error message seems to display the MySQL admin username which doesn't seem to be a good security practice.

I wish I could see it when it happens, so that I can work out the cause. It's probably another swarm of spammers though. It's been consistantly FAST for me over the last 2 days, and I check regularly. :lol:
Interesting about the username being displayed... not sure of the hosting company can fix that.