OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2021, 12:53 

Blade: Darker Imperial 2020
FH: Stiga Calibra LT 1.8
BH: Storkraft 1.6 Antispin
I'm new to using Anti (frictionless) and would like to hear what serve and shot sequences you have found to be effective when playing with anti.
For example, 3 serve combinations that I have had really good success with thus far are:
1. Serve with inverted short side/underspin to their forehand, and bump aggressively with the anti to their backhand corner.
2. Serve fast long side/underspin to their wide forehand and then block their loop short with the anti to the backhand side.
3. Serve long underspin to their backhand corner - If they push the return, bump aggressively with the anti to their pocket or wide forehand. - If they loop, block short with the Anti to the forehand.

In general, I twiddle extensively and primarily use the anti for serve return and to block the opponents first loop. From there, I hope to get a loose return from them that I can attack. I have a modified Seemiller grip, so I normally play inverted on both forehand and backhand, only using the anti for specific situations or during shot sequences I have prepared.

Any serve combinations you have found affective, or even shot combinations during the rally that work good for you I'd love to hear.

Thanks.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2022, 18:18 

PushSmasher1 wrote:
I'm new to using Anti (frictionless) and would like to hear what serve and shot sequences you have found to be effective when playing with anti.

As so eloquently put on Ferris Bueller’s Day Off… Anyone? Anyone? :D

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2022, 17:49 

Great topic! I’m new to anti and will try your tactics (one I do already). Two things to offer:

1. In terms of LPs, I occasionally mix in a “pseudo” backspin serve with my dTecS 0.5, short to mid table, nothing special. (Harder to do with my OX LPs.) What’s cool is the serve is reasonably fast, low, and no spin, and is often chopped back, so I twiddle and get a surprising percentage of pop-ups that can be slammed back with my inverted. I try this maybe once a game so my opponent doesn’t get too used to it.

2. Not really a “strategy”, but Amir Ahmed’s shovel-like serve with anti is so impressive! :rock: From another OOAK post: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5233&start=180
(See AA’s response to Def-Attack near the bottom of the page…I couldn’t figure out how to copy the post here |() It seems like wizardry at this point, I can’t replicate it, but I’ll keep practicing it!

Tibhar Genshu L Xiom Vega Pro 1.8 Tibhar Grass D.TecS 0.5
Stiga Clipper Cybershape 729 Bluesponge 1.8 Spinlord Blitzschlag OX

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2022, 20:59 

Pip slap wrote:
Great topic! I’m new to anti and will try your tactics (one I do already). Two things to offer:

1. In terms of LPs, I occasionally mix in a “pseudo” backspin serve with my dTecS 0.5, short to mid table, nothing special. (Harder to do with my OX LPs.) What’s cool is the serve is reasonably fast, low, and no spin, and is often chopped back, so I twiddle and get a surprising percentage of pop-ups that can be slammed back with my inverted. I try this maybe once a game so my opponent doesn’t get too used to it.

2. Not really a “strategy”, but Amir Ahmed’s shovel-like serve with anti is so impressive! :rock: From another OOAK post: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5233&start=180
(See AA’s response to Def-Attack near the bottom of the page…I couldn’t figure out how to copy the post here |() It seems like wizardry at this point, I can’t replicate it, but I’ll keep practicing it!

I wanted to cry because I followed the link you gave, but all the videos say "This video is private". Is there any way to view them?

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2022, 16:35 

Unfortunately many of Amir’s videos are no longer available despite the fact that he’s likely retired from table tennis :/ Perhaps you could ask him to post a few in the other thread or private message him and see if he responds? Several good examples of his shovel serve are found in this match on YouTube against Patrik Juhasz: https://youtu.be/BuVKr1A23Pw
I particularly like the 2nd half of that match when he really gets going! His opponent can’t return many of those serves, either dumping the return into the net or seemingly missing the ball completely! :devil:

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2022, 00:54 

Pip slap wrote:
Unfortunately many of Amir’s videos are no longer available despite the fact that he’s likely retired from table tennis :/ Perhaps you could ask him to post a few in the other thread or private message him and see if he responds? Several good examples of his shovel serve are found in this match on YouTube against Patrik Juhasz: https://youtu.be/BuVKr1A23Pw
I particularly like the 2nd half of that match when he really gets going! His opponent can’t return many of those serves, either dumping the return into the net or seemingly missing the ball completely! :devil:

Thanks for the link! Very helpful. I'm definitely going to try to work on that serve, and try to get more videos of him playing.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2022, 09:16 

Pip slap wrote:

I only watched the one video, but it seemed like when he would do the shovel anti serve, he would almost always serve to their crossover or playing elbow. Is that true, or just happened to be what he was mainly doing against that one opponent. He sure was successful with the serve.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2022, 16:42 

Did you happen to see this match of Amir’s yet?

https://youtu.be/_oZq8_On8i0

His anti shovel serve was especially effective in his 1st game; here’s my best guesstimate as to how it faired:

Served to bh, ace
Served to elbow, ace
Served to fh, won point
Served to bh, faulted
Served to bh, ace
Served to bh, ace
Served to elbow, won point

This is obviously a small sample size and cherry-picking a good game, but not bad at all! His opponent seemed to handle it better as the match went on, but it didn’t matter. He’s so good at just moving his opponent around with the anti.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2022, 08:36 

Pip slap wrote:
Did you happen to see this match of Amir’s yet?

https://youtu.be/_oZq8_On8i0

His anti shovel serve was especially effective in his 1st game; here’s my best guesstimate as to how it faired:

Served to bh, ace
Served to elbow, ace
Served to fh, won point
Served to bh, faulted
Served to bh, ace
Served to bh, ace
Served to elbow, won point

This is obviously a small sample size and cherry-picking a good game, but not bad at all! His opponent seemed to handle it better as the match went on, but it didn’t matter. He’s so good at just moving his opponent around with the anti.

It blows me away how often he uses the anti for serving and how successful he is with the same serve. Has he commented on why he has found it be so good, especially as a go to serve, and not one that he just uses on occasion? I know in the past he was using the .8 Storkroft. Do you need a fast anti for that serve to work?

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2022, 16:11 

I haven’t seen much commentary about that serve from AA other than his responses in his main thread (where he mentions it’s a low, no spin ball). When he played actively, I think he typically used the thinnest versions of the DMS antis with a rather fast blade. Def-attack, Rinforzando, Iceman, et al likely know his game better. I’d be curious if any of those guys uses an anti serve also, or knows of other anti players that do, since I’m a total anti newbie myself :oops:

I watch AA videos more than Luka etc because his particular style is most relatable to what I’m trying to learn to do—use anti on my penhold FH during serve receive for bumps and pushes (and occasional twiddling from inverted during rallies to throw off my opponent with a block, etc). I’ve only practiced anti serves a little by myself thus far, no opponents yet, and they look pretty tame. We’ll see lol!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!