OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Powder on the ball
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2016, 18:26 
Cho Tokusen

I am annoyed with the powder on the new balls, it sticks to the rubber, and I think up to some extent it will do abrasion to the rubber during play and will reduce spin also. Even after cleaning it with damp cloth, some still remains on the ball. However it seems that I am the only one that is annoyed, my friends do not care to clean the new balls.I do not know if it is the same case with the plastic balls. Anybody gets annoyed like me ?

Post subject: Re: Powder on the ball
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2016, 20:06 

aeoliah wrote:
I am annoyed with the powder on the new balls, it sticks to the rubber, and I think up to some extent it will do abrasion to the rubber during play and will reduce spin also. Even after cleaning it with damp cloth, some still remains on the ball. However it seems that I am the only one that is annoyed, my friends do not care to clean the new balls.I do not know if it is the same case with the plastic balls. Anybody gets annoyed like me ?

:rofl:

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2016, 20:53 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Last week I set up the iPong v300 and brought out a never-used-before box of Double Fish 1 star celluloids. Talk about dust! Wow... big white spots on the rubber, the black rubber turned white. It was like sprinkling talcum powder. Made the tacky H3 untacky. Now, despite this - it didn't bounce the ball any higher than when it was clean! (We've been discussing H3 elsewhere, and why it bounces the ball so low but hits pretty hard if you swing hard at the ball.)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2016, 21:09 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I've found the robot, with old celluloid training balls, covered my rubbers in dust. I find after a lengthy multiball session, my rubber is covered in white dust. I just clean the rubber and continue. Not worth being annoyed about.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 08:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
For robot use, I always recommend people to wash the balls first. Just put them in a bucket of water it it's gone.

I find it annoying too. I know some players would put the ball in their mouth to get the dust off....disgusting habit but it works. :lol:

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 08:25 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
I use a damp cloth on new balls, better the licking it clean. I don't want to ingest any plastic mould release powder.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 09:29 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
Of the new plastic balls really only noticed on the NP 40+

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 21:52 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
apophis wrote:
I use a damp cloth on new balls, better the licking it clean. I don't want to ingest any plastic mould release powder.

+1

Plastic balls don't seem to have the issue.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2016, 12:44 
Cho Tokusen

Thanks for all your comments. I still think that dust will reduce grippynes on the rubber. :(

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2018, 22:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Certainly, that white scurf on the ball will make the ball less spinny. It needs to be cleaned off before playing. Just do it !!! Patented in Germany.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/ ... bber/page2

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 09:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Personally I think this needs to be done at the factory... we should not need to buy a device just to clean a ball that's brand new.

I like the idea of the device though. Sounds like all we need is something slightly abrasive to rub off all the dust, because just water does not seem to do the job well.

Some balls are a lot worse (for dust) than others. The worst one I've found if the Double fish ball... this one has the roughest finish I've seen, which seems to retain the dust for a long time. It's not a bad ball, but the rough finish and dust is a little off putting.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 23:52 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
The manufacturer of the Praktissmate robot I have specifically tells you to treat new balls by cleaning them with vegetable oil to get the dust off. Worked well, as I purchased 300 cheap Chinese brand balls that were coated in dust. Afterwards they were fine.

I don't recall whether or not I followed that up with detergent or let the oil dissipate. Been a while.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 06:41 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
One of the few pros of having powder on the ball, you get a very good idea of where on the rubber you are contacting the ball.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 12:49 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

aeoliah wrote:

Oh come on... there was powder on the old balls, too. In fact there was powder on the historic 38mm three star Nittakus that we thought were so wonderful back in the day.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 15:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes, but it's much worse with some of the current plastic balls, a lot more dust comes off, and it takes longer for it to wear off.