OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 10:11

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: ABS balls in orange
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 21:17 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
Minkow now has 1* ABS orange training balls under the Kingnik label:

An ABS two color training ball is also available:

They also have pink, green, and yellow:

Their product page:
http://www.minkow.com.cn/Table-tennis-series

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 14:53 

Blade: JOOLA Carbon Pro
FH: Stock
BH: Stock
21 cents each for these.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100pcs- ... autifyAB=0

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 16:42 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
Of the balls pictured above, I see yellow the best.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 20:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

EARLY BIRD ..

Double Fish has recently made an attempt to gain ITTF approval for their orange balls. No luck so far.
Despite not being awarded official approval, DF did started out, in the late 2017, their orange balls on market inside China. This is an apparent abuse of ITTF Approval Regulations, anyway.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 23:54 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
i dont get why would you need ITTF approval to sell the tt balls...

is it really the rule? how would they enforce it?

you buy some xy shitty balls from the local supermarket to play in your garden on the concrete table, and you say it is not allowed?
if that is the case it is ridiculous... :?:

if it is the rule that you must have an ITTF certified ball for the ITTF tournament, that is totally reasonable, but all else is plain stupid if true...

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 01:07 

111Iceman111 wrote:

I assume because they have the ITTF markings on them. They are trading off an approval that they don't have.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 18:29 

yourock88 wrote:
I hear in Japan only Nittaku is producing this large ball. Yet TSP large ball looks different, maybe sourcing from China?

NIitaku is most expensive blade . i don't see it ever.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 19:59 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

111Iceman111 wrote:

You don't. If you did you wouldn't see all these weird off-brands on ebay. What you wouldn't be able to do is hold a ITTF-sanctioned tournament that used the non-ITTF approved balls.

Same deal with non-JTTA blades and rubbers and whatnot being sold in Japan - I don't see how JTTA could prevent their importation and sale. They COULD prevent people from using them in (JTTA sanctioned) tournaments, but that opens up the possibility of retaliation. So I think it's yet another urban (or sporting?) myth.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 21:35 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
rsilvers wrote:
111Iceman111 wrote:

I assume because they have the ITTF markings on them. They are trading off an approval that they don't have.
I see... That make sense than...

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 22:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NON STANDARD BALL ?

i d like to hear actual specifications of those DF balls. --weight and size measured with decent accuracy.
I strongly suspect this V40+ Ball disobey ITTF current size specifications.
From this photo the ball looks somewhat undersized, of the same size as the cellulloid. Just by sight, I would estimate its outer diameter at 39.9 mm, out of the statutory 40.1-40.5mm range, and it is most likely the reason that ITTF has denied this ball of official approval.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 22:31 

Orange balls fail for a reason, to get the balls sufficient shade of orange it changes the hardness outside of ITTF parameters, specifically on the seam and many times on the poles. Even the BEST samples step outside the parameters and regular production has very little chance of even a 10% acceptable rate. This may change but for now it is a fact. This may change with improved material chemistry. The ABS orange 3 star balls on the market are not bad but totally outside of hardness parameters. As we have went through both OEM (getting a manufacturer to rubber stamp an existing ball for my brand) and we have made our own ball with our own testing and chemistry, I have "been there and done that with this process". Around the 20th we will have an independently approved synthetic w seam ball on the ITTF list, and I do not foresee an orange, even if we can put together a passing test sample for the ITTF regular production would fall too far outside of hardness.

An example of failed hardness:

Too (hard or soft) on the seam, i.e. the indentation of any
of the 24 balls is much (smaller or larger) than the minimum
allowed (0.72). Second, three out of the 24 balls are also too (hard or soft) on the
poles

Tom

EDIT: That I think major players like DHS DF have a legitimate opportunity to make orange ITTF balls work as these companies can absorb the cost of formulation and ITTF fees. Small companies sell the first 70,000+-20K balls each year just to cover the cost of ITTF re occurring fees.

Last edited by zeropong on 11 Jan 2018, 05:35, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 02:13 

That is super helpful. If I ever buy cheap balls that I never intend to play with for anything serious, I should get orange so that they never are confused with the good balls.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 02:48 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

igorponger wrote:
NON STANDARD BALL ?

i d like to hear actual specifications of those DF balls. --weight and size measured with decent accuracy.
I strongly suspect this V40+ Ball disobey ITTF current size specifications.
From this photo the ball looks somewhat undersized, of the same size as the cellulloid. Just by sight, I would estimate its outer diameter at 39.9 mm, out of the statutory 40.1-40.5mm range, and it is most likely the reason that ITTF has denied this ball of official approval.

I really doubt the size is the problem. Why make them on a separate production line from the white balls? I think Zeropong's explanation is better. As the guy in the "Le Mouche in the soup" joke says, "You've got bloody good eyes." :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 03:29 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
zeropong wrote:
Orange balls fail for a reason, to get the balls sufficient shade of orange it changes the hardness outside of ITTF parameters, specifically on the seam and many times on the poles. Even the BEST samples step outside the parameters and regular production has very little chance of even a 10% acceptable rate. This may change but for now it is a fact. This may change with improved material chemistry. The ABS orange 3 star balls on the market are not bad but totally outside of hardness parameters. As we have went through both OEM (getting a manufacturer to rubber stamp an existing ball for my brand) and we have made our own ball with our own testing and chemistry, I have "been there and done that with this process". Around the 20th we will have an interdependently approved synthetic w seam ball on the ITTF list, and I do not foresee an orange, even if we can put together a passing test sample for the ITTF regular production would fall too far outside of hardness.

An example of failed hardness:

Too (hard or soft) on the seam, i.e. the indentation of any
of the 24 balls is much (smaller or larger) than the minimum
allowed (0.72). Second, three out of the 24 balls are also too (hard or soft) on the
poles

Tom

EDIT: That I think major players like DHS DF have a legitimate opportunity to make orange ITTF balls work as these companies can absorb the cost of formulation and ITTF fees. Small companies sell the first 70,000+-20K balls each year just to cover the cost of ITTF re occurring fees.

Really interesting! Does it mean that orange celluloid balls were softer as well, or is chemistry different enough for ABS?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 05:32 

"Really interesting! Does it mean that orange celluloid balls were softer as well, or is chemistry different enough for ABS?"

I am not versed on the hardness readings of cell balls, however the balls did differ from orange to white, at least in the Double Fish brand.

On a side note:
At the open two JR's were hanging around the Gambler and the Newgy booth ...none had ever played with a cell ball :) So I guess they are really dead, at least at the club/event level