OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2021, 23:37 

Blade: YEO (cpen)
FH: DHS Skyline TG3 Neo 2.15
BH: DHSHurricane3-50 soft 2.1
Hi peeps,

So I have noticed a lot of posts about tacky and non-tacky rubbers. Whilst I have not been playing for a while, and I am only just getting back into the game, I thought I'd share my observations purely from a personal perspective. This is in no way intended to be like a definitive review as I am only just getting back into playing regularly, but like I said will just be my own personal reflection which I wanted to share.

I am a CPen player with a Yinhe T11+ and black Friendship 729 Focus 3 Snipe as my main rubber (I pretty much never play RPB and so there's no need to go through what's on the back of my blade). I have been playing at least once a week for maybe the past month and a bit now, and yesterday was my first time breaking open the new black DHS Neo Hurricane 3.

I really struggled to get into the rhythm of using the DHS at first, and was not able to play a ball at all, everything going into the net if I played with the same style as the Friendship rubber. After gradually getting used to the DHS, and being able to land more and more shots consistently, I noticed that I was using my knees more, noticeably shifting my weight into the shot too, which I never needed to do with the Friendship.

As I woke up to post-exercise discomfort this morning, I noticed my shoulder and knees were feeling it the most. Knees, I expected, since I already felt during the session yesterday that I found I had to be a lot more bouncy on my knees, bending and springing up, as well as doing more weight transfer. Shoulder I didn't really expect, but I guess it showed me that actually I was using a lot more power from my shoulders rather than simply flicking of wrist and elbow which I was clearly doing with the Friendship.

I'm not so much of a snob as to say one technique is right vs another being wrong, but certainly from my perspective, it certainly made me work a lot more to get my shots in. Whether this is right vs wrong technique is not something I'm going to comment on, but the DHS certainly made me feel less "lazy" whereas the Friendship allowed me to get shots in without really paying much attention to my swing or my balance / footwork.

That's just my personal observation though. Would love to hear some of your thoughts too when you changed rubbers / went from non-tacky to tacky. To be honest, I feel a bit like a masochist now LOL.

Many thanks!
Howie

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2021, 02:34 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

This is what is generally said about the Hurricanes - they're designed to be relatively slow at light impact speeds, for control over the table (blocks, pushes, that sort of thing). To generate power from Hurricanes, you need to develop really high racket head speeds. At these high racket speeds (which come from using the entire body, and correct stroke mechanics, unless you want to injure yourself), the Hurricanes can generate more speed that the expensive factory boosted stuff, which bottom out above a certain amount of racket head speed. This works great for Ma Long and Xu Xin, and probably not so well for us middle-aged flabby guys.. :lol:

Besides, it's on open secret the Chinese National Team boosts their Hurricanes to high heaven, otherwise they don't work at that level of play.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2021, 03:28 

iskandar taib wrote:
This is what is generally said about the Hurricanes - they're designed to be relatively slow at light impact speeds, for control over the table (blocks, pushes, that sort of thing). To generate power from Hurricanes, you need to develop really high racket head speeds. At these high racket speeds (which come from using the entire body, and correct stroke mechanics, unless you want to injure yourself), the Hurricanes can generate more speed that the expensive factory boosted stuff, which bottom out above a certain amount of racket head speed. This works great for Ma Long and Xu Xin, and probably not so well for us middle-aged flabby guys.. :lol:

Besides, it's on open secret the Chinese National Team boosts their Hurricanes to high heaven, otherwise they don't work at that level of play.

Iskandar

Thanks for your thoughts @iskandar taib! Part of me does wonder whether I should just go back to the Friendship 729 Focus 3 Snipe for that laziness, but there is something good about going back to that coordinated strike from getting the footwork and the balance right, to timing that weight transfer. But boy, it's so tiring LOL. Will really have to get fit again if I'm to continue playing with this DHS Neo Hurricane 3! LOL.

I also need to work out how to coordinate for this mid-range loops, as at the moment, most of mine don't seem to be looping enough to get over the net for the drop, or I start overcompensating and it goes beyond the table.

For people who think there are no differences between TT rubbers... absolutely rubbish LOL.

H

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2021, 04:53 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I am one of those that think there is little difference between rubbers - or rather, that differences between rubbers are subtle rather than glaring. But there are outliers. The Hurricanes are one - I find them too slow to use (to be honest, I've only used the retail H3). 999 is another. Ckylin is an extreme example (get a sheet to see why.. :lol: ). I've bought expensive sheets - MX-P, various Rasants, even Tenergy 05 - and none of them helped me play any better. Yes, they're a little faster than, say, AK47, and there are minor adjustments to be made, but they're not super-fast, super hard-to-control rubbers that require the skill of a "professional" to use (MX-P actually makes this claim on the package). Mind you, if I used a fast blade I might have found this to be the case, but I suspect the same fast blade would have been too fast even with plain old 729.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2021, 07:31 

iskandar taib wrote:
I am one of those that think there is little difference between rubbers - or rather, that differences between rubbers are subtle rather than glaring. But there are outliers. The Hurricanes are one - I find them too slow to use (to be honest, I've only used the retail H3). 999 is another. Ckylin is an extreme example (get a sheet to see why.. :lol: ). I've bought expensive sheets - MX-P, various Rasants, even Tenergy 05 - and none of them helped me play any better. Yes, they're a little faster than, say, AK47, and there are minor adjustments to be made, but they're not super-fast, super hard-to-control rubbers that require the skill of a "professional" to use (MX-P actually makes this claim on the package). Mind you, if I used a fast blade I might have found this to be the case, but I suspect the same fast blade would have been too fast even with plain old 729.

Iskandar

That's a really interesting look at some of the rubbers you've mentioned. I found that when I had the Friendship 729 Focus 3 Snipe, I could get balls to be quick, but they seemed to lack power - I don't know if that makes sense... it sounded better in my head LOL.

I haven't noticed much about the lack of speed with the Neo H3 yet, but then again I only had one session with it where I was trying to get used to the angle by making slow shots first. When I did attempt smashes though, it did seem quicker than the 729, but on reflection, I wonder whether that was because I was just throwing everything into the shot in terms of weight shifting, waist, shoulders etc, whereas before I was being a bit lazy with the 729 in that I did not need to do all that to get in a smash.

I might make up a new bat with 729 and Neo H3 on either side just for a comparison. I don't really play RPB so it might be an idea to give me options. At the moment, have SP on the reverse side only to lessen the weight rather than as something I am using all the time.

H

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2021, 11:48 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7mm
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar

I agree with Iskandar, inverted rubbers are more alike then different. Sure there is the odd outlier but mostly they are similar. Changing rubbers won’t really help your game, the most important thing is practice practice practice.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2021, 00:50 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

RunawayAtLarge wrote:
That's a really interesting look at some of the rubbers you've mentioned. I found that when I had the Friendship 729 Focus 3 Snipe, I could get balls to be quick, but they seemed to lack power - I don't know if that makes sense... it sounded better in my head LOL.

I suppose there are all sorts of shots - everything from back-from-the-table loops (that you see a lot of when you watch rubber review videos) to overhead kills of lobs. "Power" would mean different things for the different shots, I suppose - though speed has something to do with it. Importantly, to get a fast shot to hit the table you need topspin, to bring the ball down. Otherwise you'll miss the table.

RunawayAtLarge wrote:
I haven't noticed much about the lack of speed with the Neo H3 yet, but then again I only had one session with it where I was trying to get used to the angle by making slow shots first. When I did attempt smashes though, it did seem quicker than the 729, but on reflection, I wonder whether that was because I was just throwing everything into the shot in terms of weight shifting, waist, shoulders etc, whereas before I was being a bit lazy with the 729 in that I did not need to do all that to get in a smash.

I might make up a new bat with 729 and Neo H3 on either side just for a comparison. I don't really play RPB so it might be an idea to give me options. At the moment, have SP on the reverse side only to lessen the weight rather than as something I am using all the time.

H

The Neos supposedly have boosted sponges and are faster than regular H3 (though I must say, even boosting doesn't make H3 terribly fast).

I've done a lot of the different-rubbers-on-each-side testing, mainly because I'd get one sheet of an expensive rubber (one sheet costs half of what two sheets cost, after all.. :lol: ) and put it on the forehand side and use a cheap rubber (Yinhe 9000, Corbor, etc.) on the backhand side. I'd often flip the bat around to see if there was much of a difference. Sometimes I'd find myself having to adjust the stroke slightly to get the cheap rubber balls over the net, but I didn't see anything dramatic. I'd often have to pause and think about what I was experiencing - what exactly WAS the difference? With two different Chinese rubbers I really couldn't tell most of the time. Maybe someone who plays a lot better than I do, or who uses a different sort of blade might have a different experience.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2021, 21:41 

I had another play around yesterday with the Neo H3 and was so tempted just to go back to the 729 Focus 3 Snipe, but at the same time, also want to just work my ass off to get back to proper techniques again rather than being lazy and finding shortcuts.

Looks like it'll be back to shadowplay training every evening for me to get used to the coordination between footwork, weight balance, hips, torso, shoulder, and arms again. I haven't done this since I played for my school team, which was a good few years ago! But hey, if my aim is to start playing more regularly and to get fitter again, then looks like I'll have to get cracking!

See you guys on the other side of binging shadowplay training LOL.

Although another annoying consideration I am thinking about is that if I do want to get back into TT properly and get coaching, should I even consider a tacky Chinese rubber, or go for a Euro style one which coaches in UK will be familiar with? I know these questions have been answered time and time again - it's just me brainstorming and thinking out loud... or thinking via typing. Not sure how these sayings get adapted for online forums etc.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2021, 04:20 

I spent some of yesterday reviewing how I was playing my forehand shots and I decided to take things really back to basics, slow down, and work on the coordination of my different body parts rather than the lazy swings I was making with my 729 Focus 3 Snipe - compared to the Neo H3, such a forgiving rubber haha. I had another play about today and certainly consistency I noticed was going up as I focused on mainly using the weight transfer and using my hips too.

So just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the tips here and there, as it's really helped. I'm certainly a lot more tired than playing with the 729, but considering one of my aims in playing table tennis more regularly is to get more active and exercise more again, it's certainly helping me feel like I'm getting a proper work out lol.

Thanks so much for all the tips so far, everyone!

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2021, 22:07 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

For what it is worth, I prefer the "regular" (not Neo) H3 on the forehand. I can confirm the findings as already described here: Generating speed is hard work and requires good technique. That may be a downside. On the upside: H3 is the rubber which, for me, allows the greatest stroke variation. It is also quite a durable beast.

That said, I do agree with Iskandar. The differences between rubbers, in practice, for most players, is not as great as the hype will have us believe. I'll be fine with a sheet of regular Friendship 729 if that is what I have.

Sincerely
Your regular middle-aged-to-old flabby guy

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2021, 04:38 

So I decided to change my set up completely and I picked up a Stiga Offensive Wood NCT paired with a Hurricane 3-50 Soft on FH and DHS G888 on BH for when I can be bothered to do RPB and consistency has gone up dramatically. My FH loops are dipping not long after the net, with quite a more dramatic dip then when I played with the 729 Focus 3 Snipe so I'm pretty happy with my new set up in terms of using this to try and get back into the game!

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2021, 18:31 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
10 or so years ago I played non boosted chinese rubbers on FH and BH. If you're playing within 4ft from table you won't notice a big difference except the power loops from 4ft you will see and feel the higher gears. Further than that is where it starts to become much more of a problem and hinders game play.

Here in this video my friend is using Viscaria and Hurricane 3 (non neo and not boosted) both sides.

And here is me before I stopped playing. I used Samsonov alpha (ALL+OFF- blade) FH Palio Thors, BH H3 (non neo). I used these for a whole year to help me in the local league as I found myself inside 4ft of table 80% of the time

Sorry I forgot to add, one thing you WILL notice is the short game. Service receive, pushing, blocking, counter hitting etc. It's much much nicer and easier with Chinese rubbers

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

Last edited by Ndragon on 11 Sep 2021, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2021, 02:12 

I am just getting back into playing as well. Last time I played regularly we were still using speed glue. So that's how long it's been. I'm borrowing a friend's paddle for now since I sold all my stuff a while back. Stiga Allround Classic WRB with Hurricane 3 Neo on both sides. I really like how it plays. I tend to loop both sides middle distance and find that with this rubber I'm pretty successful on most shots.

I'm getting ready to buy my own, and I like the Allround Classic so I'll probably go with that. My question is whether or not there is a big improvement with the higher priced versions of this rubber. I'm not unhappy with the way the Neo plays, but would I see a big improvement going to the national edition or blue sponge edition?

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2021, 05:36 

chad.trent wrote:
I am just getting back into playing as well. Last time I played regularly we were still using speed glue. So that's how long it's been. I'm borrowing a friend's paddle for now since I sold all my stuff a while back. Stiga Allround Classic WRB with Hurricane 3 Neo on both sides. I really like how it plays. I tend to loop both sides middle distance and find that with this rubber I'm pretty successful on most shots.

I'm getting ready to buy my own, and I like the Allround Classic so I'll probably go with that. My question is whether or not there is a big improvement with the higher priced versions of this rubber. I'm not unhappy with the way the Neo plays, but would I see a big improvement going to the national edition or blue sponge edition?
Stiga OC is pretty slow for today's equipment and game. You might want to go with something a little faster like the Clipper. As for the difference between the different Hurricane rubbers you can read my in-depth guide here:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2021, 14:57 

Blade: Yasaka Goiabao
FH: Yinhe Jupiter 2 H38
BH: Yinhe Mercury 2 Soft
RunawayAtLarge wrote:
Hi peeps,

So I have noticed a lot of posts about tacky and non-tacky rubbers. Whilst I have not been playing for a while, and I am only just getting back into the game, I thought I'd share my observations purely from a personal perspective. This is in no way intended to be like a definitive review as I am only just getting back into playing regularly, but like I said will just be my own personal reflection which I wanted to share.

I am a CPen player with a Yinhe T11+ and black Friendship 729 Focus 3 Snipe as my main rubber (I pretty much never play RPB and so there's no need to go through what's on the back of my blade). I have been playing at least once a week for maybe the past month and a bit now, and yesterday was my first time breaking open the new black DHS Neo Hurricane 3.

I really struggled to get into the rhythm of using the DHS at first, and was not able to play a ball at all, everything going into the net if I played with the same style as the Friendship rubber. After gradually getting used to the DHS, and being able to land more and more shots consistently, I noticed that I was using my knees more, noticeably shifting my weight into the shot too, which I never needed to do with the Friendship.

As I woke up to post-exercise discomfort this morning, I noticed my shoulder and knees were feeling it the most. Knees, I expected, since I already felt during the session yesterday that I found I had to be a lot more bouncy on my knees, bending and springing up, as well as doing more weight transfer. Shoulder I didn't really expect, but I guess it showed me that actually I was using a lot more power from my shoulders rather than simply flicking of wrist and elbow which I was clearly doing with the Friendship.

I'm not so much of a snob as to say one technique is right vs another being wrong, but certainly from my perspective, it certainly made me work a lot more to get my shots in. Whether this is right vs wrong technique is not something I'm going to comment on, but the DHS certainly made me feel less "lazy" whereas the Friendship allowed me to get shots in without really paying much attention to my swing or my balance / footwork.

That's just my personal observation though. Would love to hear some of your thoughts too when you changed rubbers / went from non-tacky to tacky. To be honest, I feel a bit like a masochist now LOL.

Many thanks!
Howie

T11+ blade and Hurricane is just about the worse combination I could ever think of. The blade has zero flex, then you put a rock-hard rubber on it just makes it worse. I loved the lightness of the T11, but it's just not made for looping.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!