OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:11

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2021, 22:06 

Blade: Stiga offensive classic c
FH: 729 Battle II
BH: Yinhe Moon
Hi everyone, i have problem about glueing. Today i wanted to glue a rubber on my new stiga offensive classic blade. When i apply glue on the blade glue does not spreads homogenly and leaves point residues. I guess if i glue my rubber that way, it might leave bumps on rubber. Am i doing something wrong. I used donic vario clean. (i also used it on yasaka sweden extra on last week and there was no problem). I leave the photo. What should i do? By the way glue spreads nicely on rubber without a problem.

Attachments:
File comment: Using donic vario clean on stiga blade
stig.jpg
stig.jpg [ 311.38 KiB | Viewed 1092 times ]

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2021, 23:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The problem is that the outer ply of that blade is very porous, so it soaks up the water in the glue as you apply it. The blade needs to be sealed before you glue it. Another reason for sealing it is that the outer ply is quite fragile, so you'll likely tear off fibres when you remove the blade. I really wish they'd seal these blade in the factory.

The Sweden Extra blade is factory sealed, which is why you had no trouble.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2021, 16:38 

Blade: Stiga offensive classic c
FH: 729 Battle II
BH: Yinhe Moon
haggisv wrote:
The problem is that the outer ply of that blade is very porous, so it soaks up the water in the glue as you apply it. The blade needs to be sealed before you glue it. Another reason for sealing it is that the outer ply is quite fragile, so you'll likely tear off fibres when you remove the blade. I really wish they'd seal these blade in the factory.

The Sweden Extra blade is factory sealed, which is why you had no trouble.

Thank you so much, that make sense. I ordered Xiom I-sure varnish. Do you think one layer of varnish will be enough? Some says apply two layer of varnish.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2021, 19:40 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
1 layer is usually enough, but the stuff is quite thin, so 2 layers won't hurt.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2021, 15:35 

Blade: Wakkibat Poc-Rocket 10
FH: Focus III Snipe 2.2mm
BH: Xiom Vega Europe 2mm
haggisv wrote:
1 layer is usually enough, but the stuff is quite thin, so 2 layers won't hurt.

Agreed ...plus purely as a few side notes:

- if the varnish you are using is a form of poly (ie: Polyurethane varnish, either water-based or oil-based) you can also do the old trick of wiping on a thin layer of varnish with one clean dry rag, then immediately wiping off any excess with another. (Haggisv is quite right about most varnish being very thin... Poly varnish runs almost as readily as water, you only need a very small amount)

- Two thin coats is more than enough to seal the blade and protect it from any moisture in your rubber glue, without overly affecting the blade's playing performance - resist any temptation to add more (if your coats of varnish are too thick, it can make the blade stiffer and faster... which you may or may not want.)

- If you decide to sand back the varnish between coats to give it a smoother finish, makes sure each coat is fully dry before sanding, and don't use anything finer than say 240 grit sandpaper, otherwise the finish will be too smooth and it will be harder for your rubber glue to adhere to your blade properly. Personally I find 240 grit to be ideal.

- Finally, only varnish the handle if your hands don't sweat much during play... otherwise it can become slippery as a bar of soap and you'll need to sand it back a little. :lol: :lol:

Hope this helps. :)