OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2014, 18:30 

Hi every1,

Don't know if this topic is stil alive but first of all, thx for al the previous testing(and the results) I will defently try the veggie oil (olive?)
And second of all... i'm from belgium and my englisch isn't always what it should be (I think)

I've found this thread while looking for a good(the best?) method to keep the rubbers in a good condition.

A shop here in belgium (well known in .be) is Francis TTshop (near Gent).
The owner is a former player and now growing older and cant play anymore... but still enjoying his work at the shop
Anyway he told me that the best way to keep the rubbers in a good condition (this is not for and old rubber wich u want to give a new life)
is a moist shammy
(don't know if its a correct translation... I use the shammy for cleaning windows/car, it can absorb a lot of water...)
make the shammy wet (not cold, not hot, lukewarm? water) and squeeze almost dry, then wipe off the rubbers.
This way the rubbers don't get really wet, just gives a thin moist layer wich drys/dries? quickly
This way you can clean it every week, without ruining? the rubbers or the wood.

My rubbers are only 2months old (old ones trown away...) and i must say till now everytime they feel like new..

Greetings from .be

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2014, 20:39 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Hello Tats and welcome.

I think what you are referring to as a 'shammy' is actually a 'chamois' cloth / leather. Often used to dry cars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamois_leather

185g

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2014, 00:39 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

You know, I wonder if Canola oil would "revive" that fake Tenergy.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2014, 02:10 
The King

For cleaning I'd still say wd40 is the best option, to restore/revive a rubber I highly recommend argan oil. Should be available at Turkish/middle east supermarkets. A bit on the expensive side though, 250 ml for about 14 euro here.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 15:42 

Late addition to the thread if I may indulge...

I first tried Canola Oil back in 2007 on Hurricane 3 rubbers and found it quite good at restoring spin on old rubbers and comp bat.

Recently, I had an old practice bat with Accuda S3 rubbers that had dried out due to hot & dusty exposure. I usually just wash rubbers with a damp chamois but that was not doing the job on this bat. The red rubber in particular lacked grip and I could feel the ball slipping off the bat when trying for heavy spin serves. So I looked around for something / anything and gave it a spray with Selleys RP7 (basically the same thing as WD40). It worked better than slapping it with a wet rag (Chamois) but still lacked some permanency, thus my search and discovery of this thread.

Anyway, the result encouraged me enough to try the same thing on my comp bat (XIOM True Innovation / Hexer PS on Cornellieu soft carbon blade) but only the older XIOM rubber. Used it today for the first time and it seemed to restore spin back to my FH which had been missing in action in recent weeks. My results against 2 benchmark adversaries were better than usual but there were 2 other variables at play apart from the restored FH rubber. Some practice drills and the Hexer PS on the BH was a newish or newer rubber than my previous Hexer +.

As a last comment, I just sprayed some olive oil on the Accuda S3 rubbers and let them soak it up for 30 minutes. Both are looking better but I suspect the red rubber will need still more. I can still feel some small spots that lack grip.

Cheers
David

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 18:01 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Welcome to the forum Davown2000 :up: :up: :up:
Davown2000 wrote:
Late addition to the thread if I may indulge...

I first tried Canola Oil back in 2007 on Hurricane 3 rubbers and found it quite good at restoring spin on old rubbers and comp bat.

Recently, I had an old practice bat with Accuda S3 rubbers that had dried out due to hot & dusty exposure. I usually just wash rubbers with a damp chamois but that was not doing the job on this bat. The red rubber in particular lacked grip and I could feel the ball slipping off the bat when trying for heavy spin serves. So I looked around for something / anything and gave it a spray with Selleys RP7 (basically the same thing as WD40). It worked better than slapping it with a wet rag (Chamois) but still lacked some permanency, thus my search and discovery of this thread.

Anyway, the result encouraged me enough to try the same thing on my comp bat (XIOM True Innovation / Hexer PS on Cornellieu soft carbon blade) but only the older XIOM rubber. Used it today for the first time and it seemed to restore spin back to my FH which had been missing in action in recent weeks. My results against 2 benchmark adversaries were better than usual but there were 2 other variables at play apart from the restored FH rubber. Some practice drills and the Hexer PS on the BH was a newish or newer rubber than my previous Hexer +.

As a last comment, I just sprayed some olive oil on the Accuda S3 rubbers and let them soak it up for 30 minutes. Both are looking better but I suspect the red rubber will need still more. I can still feel some small spots that lack grip.

Cheers
David

Patches with poor grip is a bit of a worry, as it implies that your rubber is a little patchy, so it might be hard to restore it to consistent grip across the whole rubber. Still it's always worth a try on an old rubber... nothing to lose. ;)

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 12:44 

Quote:
Patches with poor grip is a bit of a worry, as it implies that your rubber is a little patchy, so it might be hard to restore it to consistent grip across the whole rubber. Still it's always worth a try on an old rubber... nothing to lose. ;)

Agree the patches are a worry. They are occurring in the sweet spot which you expect and often see in well used rubbers. I gave the Acuda S3 rubbers a second spray of olive oil and left it to soak in. The black rubber has responded well and most of the red rubber but the patch of lost grip, whilst slightly diminished, is still there. But, this is just a practice bat and the rubbers are quite old so no major headache. I'll probably give it a third treatment shortly.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 19:47 

[quote="Davown2000I gave the Acuda S3 rubbers a second spray of olive oil and left it to soak in. The black rubber has responded well and most of the red rubber but the patch of lost grip, whilst slightly diminished, is still there. But, this is just a practice bat and the rubbers are quite old so no major headache. I'll probably give it a third treatment shortly.[/quote]

Update: I wasn't overly enthusiastic about trying olive oil for a third time and had previously tried RP7 so looked around for some other common household substance and came up with vaseline. Applied a lite coat on the compromised red rubber and waited about an hour for it to absorb into the rubber. This took quite a while due to the thicker nature of vaseline. The result was quite stunning. The grip factor of the red rubber went from 5 out of 10 to 10.

I focused on hitting with the red rubber for about an hour in some basic drill work using what I call a junkmate (home made rig) and was seriously impressed with the spin factor of the revitalised Acuda S3.

My table sits outside under cover but its very dusty and hostile to rubbers. The grip noticeably reduced over the hour session but that would have happened with any bat given the conditions. I rinsed it off and it seemed to have improved but was probably now a 9 grip factor.

Overall, very impressed with the test.

Cheers

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016, 05:07 

Blade: Yasaka Ma Lin YEO
FH: H3 NEO Provincial2.2
BH: Stiga Airoc S 2.1
haggisv wrote:
I would guess it makes little difference which oil you use... I've used other vegatable oils and it still worked fine.

Hey broo greets from Ecuador, just saw this topic and the only question I have is if I can use the oil on new rubbers, or not so used rubbers?, or is this just for old used rubbers? :?:

I also wanna know what are your thoughts of this product for rubber 'rejuvenation' alternative https://www.amazon.com/Sprayway-RUBBER- ... entries*=0 it will work with tt rubbers with no harmful effects? I saw a guy posting this product on this subject but no answers yet..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8