OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 18:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: How do you speed glue?
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2006, 17:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I thought I'd get a topic going on how people speed glue. There seem to be a wide range of different ways of doing it..and I don't think there's a correct way, whatever works for YOU.

Well I personally use Tibhar Rapid Clean Delux most of the time, which is one of the long lasting glues, but I occasionally use the Dawei normal speed glue, so I'll briefly cover how I glue for each of them.

For a new rubber I prime the rubber first. This means putting a few layers of normal speed glue (in my case the Dawei one) on first. I usually add 2 to 3 layers, just enough to get a slight dome, then I leave it at least overnight.

When I'm ready to glue:

Tibhar: I put on one fairly thicker layer, spread it out evenly over the whole surface. I leave this for abuot 1 hour. Then I put a thin layer of normal glue or Dawei speed glue just on the blade to make it stick better. I put the rubber on, starting just above the handle, and use a roller and roll it on, not too hard, but fairly firm so that not too much tensioning/stretch is caused by the rolling effect. The I immediately clamp it and leave it at least 12 hours before I use it.

Dawei speed glue: I put on a thicker layer and really rub it in with the brush, especially in the middle part. Then I wait till it's touch dry, and add another layer. If this gets a decent dome after about 5mins, I put a thin layer onto the blade and put the rubber on with the roller as before. If it has not domed much, I keep adding layers (up to 4) until it does dome, and then put the rubber onto the blade. I put in in the clamp, and wait for about 15mins before I use it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2006, 19:26 
Don Skaffa

sounds like an incredibly time consuming way.
I don't glue myself but I know some people that use ''wet gluing'', meaning they just put some glue on, have it dry for a couple of minutes and strick it on their blade.
They seem to like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2006, 00:58 

Servio if you mean "natlijmen" that's not the way. What you described is "drooglijmen" or dry glueing.

Natlijmen:

An hour before playing you put some glue on your rubber and blade and apply them while they are still wet. Then like 5 minutes before playing get them off the blade, but some glue on your rubber and blade, wait for it to tackdry and then put them on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2006, 03:40 
Don Skaffa

my bad, thanks for correcting me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2006, 07:45 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

The glass gluing method is a type of wet-gluing (natlijmen). I have just tried this after some tips from JC at Wotan:

For standard speed glue:
Brush the glue onto the sponge, then stick it onto a glass plate. This ensures that all the vapours go into the sponge and don't evaporate into the air. You can do this for both rubbers if you're gluing both sides. Cover the rubbers with another glass plate to give it some pressure.
After 5-10mins take it off. If you wish to add more layers, repeat the process.

When you've added enough layers, put a thin layer onto the blade, wait for it to be touch dry, then roll the rubber onto the blade as normal, and clamp it.

This seems to work very well, and get a much bigger done with the same amount of glue. It also works for the long lasting glue, giving a better dome, although I have not tested to confirm that the effect is better too (I WILL today as I glued last night).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2006, 18:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Well I tried it today and there was a very obvious increase in effect. It was definitely a fair bit faster. To be sure I glued up 2 rubbers that I use regularly, and I found the same in both.

In fact I found them both to be too fast for my liking, so next time I'll use less glue to get it to the speed that I like.

The rubber I used (Globe 999 National version) are already very spinny, so I could not say if there was an increase in spin or not. The sponges certainly felt a little softer than normal as well.

I think this method will work very well for priming the rubber as well. I always found that even after priming, rubber don't peak in performance until the 2nd gluing, so hopefully this method will help there too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2006, 07:30 
Angel of Abbyss

I use Tibhar Rapid Clean speed glue (normal speed glue).

I usually glue at home before going training or playing: you never know how are the conditions where you will play (cold or not, wet or dry...)

How do I glue? I lay glue on the blade and the rubber, let dry and then try to put the rubber on the blade usin a roll to avoid air bubbles.

http://www.diabolosyl.net (my own site)
http://www.tennis-de-table.com (biggest forum in France)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2006, 09:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

That is a good glue too, I've tried it before.

I tend not to put much glue on the blade since it does not do anything, just makes it stick.

How many layers do you put on the rubber, just one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2006, 18:39 
Angel of Abbyss

Yes only one, it is enough. :P
Except with some new rubbers, the sometimes need more than one time to stick to the blade.

http://www.diabolosyl.net (my own site)
http://www.tennis-de-table.com (biggest forum in France)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2007, 22:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Here is the video of the glass plate method

Speed glue video - Glass plate method

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 19:51 
Don Skaffa

what kind of glue would work best for glass gluing? thick or thin?
And what kind of glue would work better for just softening up a rubber?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 03:16 
Don Skaffa

hmm I got a glass desk looking very tempting at me... I think I'm going to try to get a decent dome on my cermet with glass gluing... though my glue might not be the best for that (andro universal)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 03:56 
Don Skaffa

it actually worked better than I expected... I used 2 layers (so 2x10 min) and got a nice dome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 07:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

That's great! I don't think it matters which glue you use...whichever one it is, you'll get better effect with the glass gluing technique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 13:42 

Hi everyone,

I am a new user on this forum. The way I & my friends (from Indonesia)speed glue is.. for a new rubber, put 2 layer normal glue then stick it to the blade.

Then when I want to play, I put 1 layer speed glue (not the long lasting one) on rubber and on blade. Then straight away while they are wet, I put the rubber onto the blade and clamp it.

It works fine for many of us... I think the theory works similar to the glass technique.. less area expose to open air, so that the sponge can soak more the speed glue..

Cheers