OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2007, 09:57 

Interesting that Higher III is actually harder than Higher. I noticed on my sheet that it was at least as hard as the 729 Transcend I bought along with it. I actually thought (and still suspect) it was the exact same sponge, which had me a little miffed.

Isn't III supposed to be softer and spinnier than Higher (at least according to marketing)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2007, 13:11 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I didn't even notice this myself :wink:

I think you'll find that in general the Higher III sponges are softer, but there seems to be quite a bit of variation between batches of 'higher I' rubbers, the latest batch is a fair bit softer than earlier batches...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2007, 17:25 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Hi HaggisV, what would be the hardest rubber in the shop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2007, 23:45 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

The globe 999 Nat and H2 are right up there. Also got a Tulpe rubber rated at 48-50deg, but I have not measured it yet. G888 is hard too, XP does not seem as hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2008, 10:51 
Super User

@haggisv:

some people state, that there are two different scales to measure the hardness of a sponge, the chinese scale and the japanese / european scale. I don't understand that. Isn't Shore a standard? If so, there should only be one scale, else we wouldn't need a standard. So how come there are two scales?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2008, 10:55 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Yes, Shore is a standard, but these are different standards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2008, 14:14 
Super User

Just wondering: I feel Sriver EL's sponge unglued is about as hard as 39-deg H2. Is that normal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2008, 18:09 

Hello friends. I noticed defferent standart too. More euro producer marked rubber with shore degrees. 45-46 degrees is normal top offensive sponge. I have catalog from tibhar. torpedo's sponge marked 45 degree, spidy spin too, rapid - 42.5 degree, rapid x press - 45+ .
Joola brand use the same mark: 45 degree for mambo C and many more rubbers.
In butterflyonline use other standart. For sriver L - 38 degree, bryce hard - 38 too, bryce speed - 38 too, sriver G2 - 36 degree.
I reach a conclusion that chinese use such standart
In "Sponge hardness table" for faster German and faster III - 38 and 39 degree. These rubbers have german sponge (I think top). Bye.

Post subject: Globe 999 Nat.
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2008, 04:04 

Hi, did you measure the blue sponge or the yellow one (if there's any difference in hardness)?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2008, 19:47 

haggisv wrote:
Here is a growing list of sponge hardness levels of rubbers, as measured with my durometer. I've explained in there that adjustment needed to be made to the values and why, but the results tie in quite well with my expectations.

I'll continue to add values as I get access to them... Waht do you think?:

Sponge hardness measurement table

So, the levels range from 28 to 45. How could this range be split to categorize sponges as low/medium/high hardness?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2008, 20:09 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

big_lou wrote:
haggisv wrote:
Here is a growing list of sponge hardness levels of rubbers, as measured with my durometer. I've explained in there that adjustment needed to be made to the values and why, but the results tie in quite well with my expectations.

I'll continue to add values as I get access to them... Waht do you think?:

Sponge hardness measurement table

So, the levels range from 28 to 45. How could this range be split to categorize sponges as low/medium/high hardness?

I think in general for sponges in any form, would have to be harder the sponge the lower the throw

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008, 22:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

big_lou wrote:

I would think
Soft: 35deg or less
Medium: 36-40
Hard: 40+

Is that what you meant?

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2008, 07:43 

haggisv wrote:
big_lou wrote:

I would think
Soft: 35deg or less
Medium: 36-40
Hard: 40+

Is that what you meant?

Yes, exactly, thanks. I am sure where the dividing lines are is somewhat subjective but it is good to know the general idea. Also the sponge hardness alone may be the biggest factor in giving a rubber its soft/medium/hard "feel" but does the top sheet significantly contribute to the overall feel or are they (the top sheets) all, for the most part, flexible (soft)?

You see I am trying to match blade stiffness with rubber hardness according to the magic rule (soft rubber on hard blade, hard rubber on soft blade) and I am a little uncertain if I can use the sponge hardness by itself or rather the overall (sponge + top sheet) feel of the rubber.

Any advice is most welcome.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2008, 08:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Sponge hardness is a good guide and the biggest contributor on how hard a rubber feels, but the topsheet definitely effects it as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2008, 00:58 
Super User

heyy everyone, would like to know more about the hardness of sponges. So the harder the sponge the more energy is stored in the sponge and so when the harder sponge is hit, it releases the energy? and if the sponge is softer, then the ball would dig into the pimples under the topsheet in the case of an inverted rubber thus creating making more spin? as far as i know i, thats my understanding of sponges in the case of Inverted rubbers. but what is the story of sponges on long pips?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next