OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2020, 06:11 

Blade: Yinhe N9s cPen
FH: Yinhe Mercury 2 hard
BH: DHS Skyline 3-60
Hi,

I'm just curious if it's just me that I glued with this water based hobby glue https://youtu.be/4jRXzPBR-eA

All I can tell you is that it works very fine, almost as a normal table tennis glue :DImage

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2020, 15:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Interesting, I've never seen that one. So the rubber is removable as well?

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2020, 17:47 

haggisv wrote:
Interesting, I've never seen that one. So the rubber is removable as well?
I already used it at least 5 times. There are the following situations:

- unsealed blade: 1 layer on the blade + 1 layer on the rubber, the glue might stay on the blade. I removed it very easy with a wet napkin, within seconds, it's washable
- sealed blade : 1 layer on the blade + 1 layer on the rubber, it will stay on the rubber, you can remove it as in the video, it might take 5 minutes/rubber, but as the layer is thin and evenly spread, you can also let it there and glue again
- sealed blade: 2 layers on the blade+2 on the rubber, very easy to remove, almost as Revolution No 3, 1 or 2 moves

I found it in an office supplies store, and started using it for my junk paddles, I still play outdoors at least two times/week despite the weather worsening, but I tried it also on my main blade indoors and didn't felt any difference.

It doesn't damage the blade or the rubber, and I can easily glue and match tensor rubbers that are smaller than the blade, by tensioning them to match the blade.

Here I put some highlights from this Saturday, i didn't play with my main blade, but with one of my junk blades : Boer blade(that zebra wood version from AliExpress) + Kokutaku 868 rubbers which I use outdoor since April. And it felt excelent, not so fast, but great feeling of the ball https://youtu.be/1qOEp2b1XeY
Attachment:
IMG-20201114-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20201114-WA0000.jpg [ 41.41 KiB | Viewed 1387 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_20201114_135756378.jpg
IMG_20201114_135756378.jpg [ 60.5 KiB | Viewed 1387 times ]

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2020, 17:13 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

That looks like a typical white glue (PVA) meant for gluing wood to wood (i.e. furniture). An example would be Elmer's Glue-all or UHU Coll. I've heard of people using such glues for table tennis rubbers but I'm skeptical. I suppose it depends on how you're using it - do you allow it to dry on both surfaces before joining them? If so, it might work (though these glues aren't meant to be tacky after they've dried). If you slap the rubber on before the glue has dried it probably would NEVER dry (since it's water based and rubber isn't porous). It's meant to make a very strong, permanent bond between the two pieces of wood, so if it's making a weak bond between blade and rubber then it probably isn't dried completely and remains partially damp. If you haven't sealed the blade it'd probably seep into the wood.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2020, 17:43 

iskandar taib wrote:
That looks like a typical white glue (PVA) meant for gluing wood to wood (i.e. furniture). An example would be Elmer's Glue-all or UHU Coll. I've heard of people using such glues for table tennis rubbers but I'm skeptical. I suppose it depends on how you're using it - do you allow it to dry on both surfaces before joining them? If so, it might work (though these glues aren't meant to be tacky after they've dried). If you slap the rubber on before the glue has dried it probably would NEVER dry (since it's water based and rubber isn't porous). It's meant to make a very strong, permanent bond between the two pieces of wood, so if it's making a weak bond between blade and rubber then it probably isn't dried completely and remains partially damp. If you haven't sealed the blade it'd probably seep into the wood.

Iskandar
Yes, it's a PVA resin based glue, I don't let it dry completely, but when I removed it, it was dry. I discussed with another player who is chemical engineer and told me that it won't damage the sponge but it has a disadvantage beeing less elastic than a latex based glue. I however like it and is easy to remove.

Having a dozen of blades and even more rubbers from AliExpress, it's a joy to switch them from a blade to another and combine them very fast anywhere in my house, because my wife has the smell of a dog/bear and screams everytime he feels table tennis products smell, but this glue is undetectable even for her nose :)))

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2020, 17:44 

Aurelian wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar
Yes, it's a PVA resin based glue, I don't let it dry completely, but when I removed it, it was dry. I discussed with another player who is chemical engineer and told me that it won't damage the sponge but it has a disadvantage beeing less elastic than a latex based glue. I however like it and is easy to remove.

Having a dozen of blades and even more rubbers from AliExpress, it's a joy to switch them from a blade to another and combine them very fast anywhere in my house, because my wife has the smell of a dog/bear and screams everytime he feels table tennis products smell, but this glue is undetectable even for her nose :)))

*She feels