OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 13:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016, 15:41 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Bryce is "old school"? :lol: (Sriver came out in the 1960s, I don't think Bryce appeared before - what was it - mid 1990s?)..

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016, 17:35 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
iskandar taib wrote:
Bryce is "old school"? :lol: (Sriver came out in the 1960s, I don't think Bryce appeared before - what was it - mid 1990s?)..

Iskandar

Dear Iskandar.

Yups, Bryce is mid 199x.

Hurricane, Tackiness, 729 Super Fx waay older, older than 1980.

Still, most current athlete still minors when Bryce born. Bryce it classic rubber for Them. :P

But,

Dear Workout,

I define "classic" as "established from long ago" so, for me, that means all rubber before 1980. :D

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016, 18:54 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

From the little I remember of the advertising, with Bryce, they were already touting special molecular high-energy sponge and whatnot... so even if this was pre-glue ban, they were already marketing "improved concept" rubbers with "high energy sponge", similar in concept to what we find today with Tenergy and Tensors. Perhaps one can say "pre-glue ban" rubbers rather than "classic"... By that definition, Hurricane would fall within this class.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016, 19:10 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Bryce is/was very low throw, unglued anyway. I wouldn't describe Sriver, MK V, magic carbon, vari spin etc as low throw.

I'll leave the tacky options out of the conversation, they are a different beast altogether.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

185g

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016, 20:47 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
so_devo wrote:
Bryce is/was very low throw, unglued anyway. I wouldn't describe Sriver, MK V, magic carbon, vari spin etc as low throw.

I'll leave the tacky options out of the conversation, they are a different beast altogether.

Yups. So, I rather define reference of popular allrounder example when talking about rubber and blade, e.g.,

fast rubber means faster than Mark V,
Spinny rubber means spinner than Mark V,
High launch rubber means launch the ball higher than Mark V

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016, 21:11 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
BeGo wrote:
so_devo wrote:

Yups. So, I rather define reference of popular allrounder example when talking about rubber and blade, e.g.,

fast rubber means faster than Mark V,
Spinny rubber means spinner than Mark V,
High launch rubber means launch the ball higher than Mark V

I think that's a very good description and way to evaluate rubbers. These classics that were the powerful, attacking rubbers of their day are now more in the all/all+ class given that 1: there are new generations of faster, spinnier rubbers and 2: the ball is now larger.

My point in saying that these rubbers still have a place is that I see so many player play with setups that are obviously too fast and/or too spin sensitive for them. Yes, they hit some wonderful looking shots but cannot gain sufficient consistency in touch, placement, keeping the ball short or simply keeping it on the table. Win 1 good point then lose several silly ones! So I think these rubbers have a place, dependent on the style you play and the type of blade used (again, many use blades too fast but that's another topic).

The rubbers listed above are fast, are spinny, it is just that there are much faster and much spinnier options available. If a player can't extract it, then technique is likely an issue.

The other bonus is that as they are untuned and untensioned, they have good lifespans and are durable.

185g

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2016, 01:03 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I suppose you could say the classic CHINESE rubbers (inverted ones, anyway) are 729 and PF4. Started arriving in the US in the early 1980s IIRC. 729 was purple.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2016, 12:13 

I don't think it's possible to define a term like 'classic rubbers', nobody will get the memo except a select few on this forum. Even if the definition does spread, people will disagree with it and try to push their own definition. There's just no point.

And throw - Wow this would be controversial. Different people think different rubbers have different throws. EG: I read somebody say that T05 has a low throw. Then the blade can also affect the throw of different rubbers in different ways.

Regarding Bryce, it was introduced during the speed glue era, when looping strokes were longer and more upward. I actually really liked Catapult back in the day.

You don't need a classic rubber if you want slower and controlled, there are heaps of modern rubbers out there that are suitable for looping with high control. Then again, if there's a classic rubber that encourages a very horizontal motion, without slippage, then it too would be good for the modern era. I don't think I've ever played one of the classic japanese / euro rubbers with good enough grip and high enough throw. That being said, I've played with heaps of modern rubbers that also have poor grip and low throw. They too I would not consider for a looping game.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2016, 15:31 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

WorkoutMontage wrote:
I don't think it's possible to define a term like 'classic rubbers', nobody will get the memo except a select few on this forum. Even if the definition does spread, people will disagree with it and try to push their own definition. There's just no point.

Oh sure. Then again, it's pretty harmless, so why not?

I was quite amused when a friend referred to the car he was driving - a Mercedes 280S from about 1970 - as a "classic car". To me classic cars are like those 1955 Plymouths with the big tail fins that you find still going in Cuba!

Iskandar