OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2007, 19:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
After discussion on other threads here I decided to test some of the rubber cleaning techniques. I found an old rubber (Dawei Sprungfeder A-4) which has had a lot of use and is well worn. It's now totally non-tacky and has even lost a lot of it's grip... feels quite smooth.

Image[/img]

As you can see I have divided up the rubber into 4 sections with masking tape, each section can be treated with a different cleaner so that we can compare the results. I know water will not revive this rubber, so I won't use this as a test

The possible options are:
1. vegie oil as described in other thread
2. rubber cleaner foam
3. orange power cleaner
4. WD40
5. Other rubber cleaners (eg JUIC mini cleaner/rubber cleaner II)
6. Any others?

Unfortunately I don't have any spinmax, otherwise this would be a good test too. Option 1 is the main reason I want to do this experiment, but what would be the best other options... I'm open to suggestion...

Cheers!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2007, 22:52 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

Spinmax will sure works coz I used to try it on 755 and my friend always use it on bryce(speed + spin)!!!!!!

WD40? I guess it's designed to use with metal/steel kind of thing.......I don't think it will work, I guess.

I'm looking for the result.

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2007, 23:54 

This is a great idea! I would like to see the results of veggie oil, orange power cleaner, wd-40, and a cleaner that is specially designed for table tennis rubbers (whatever you have available or deem the best if you have more than one). Let the rejuvenation begin, and rise from the dead ol' black Sprungfeder :D

pongcrazy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007, 08:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yep, that sounds like a good set of 4 candidates... I'll have a go this weekend... after I find the instruction on the oil again from you guys...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007, 10:04 
Super User

i can add the following:

i use "cleaning-petrol", dont know how it is called in english (the one you can buy for household cleaning purposes). especially i use it to remove spots of glue on the topsheet ....

then i use "vinegar-essence", again i dont know how it is called in english (the one you can buy for household cleaning purposes, i bought it in the supermarket.

also you can use acetone, which cleans very strongly too, but i would not recommend it, because it is not very healthy to handle with it.

finally you could use pure alcohol, the one you can get for cleaning skin, etc. but any highly concentrated alcohol would do i too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007, 10:21 

Is the cleaning petrol that you speak of also called 3-in-1 oil? Does it come in a small rectangular tin can with a small plastic spout on the top?
If you are not sure the answer to these questions could you please post a link so I can see the product. Thanks!

pongcrazy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007, 11:17 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Hi Haggisv,
Good test idea.
When you use the veggy oil, realize the oil does NOT evaporate. Some have said they leave it on for 30 minutes or longer. I would not do this. All I do is wipe it on and wipe it off 20 or 30 seconds later.
If you wait for it to dissappear, it went into the rubber. The rubber will pick up weight. If you did this on a regular schedule with a normal blade, it would pick up alot of weight over time. By just wiping it on and off in a short time, it has worked for me.
It is your test though so go for it!!! :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007, 12:08 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Photino for now
FH: Haifu Blue Whale for now
BH: Donic Bluefire for now
No one believes me, but this is what I subscribe to. It's never let me rubbers drop even a tiny bit when I use this right after I play right before I store the rackets up. I like this better than anything else I have tried. Also I think you'll be suprised at how well this does in this very test.
http://amazon.com/dp/B000636OR4/ref=s9_ ... d_i=507846

This is actually for a case of bottles, but just one is very reasonably priced for what is a large can of rejuvenator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007, 20:38 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks hookshot, that's how I'll do it then. I guess you could wipe it off with a soft cloth.

Thanks for the other suggestions too, I appreciate it. I think I'll restrict this test to items that are safe and very commonly available... so vegie oil certainly fits this bill :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007, 20:45 
Super User

WD 40 - got me thinking. Its petroleum based - might be a bit harsh on rubber? There's a related product called Lanox - another version is Lanoguard. Basically its an anti-rust and lubrication formulation based on lanolin (from sheep's wool). I might try some of that and some vegie oil and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007, 23:42 

Haggisv - wiping the oil on and then quickly wiping it off is great for cleaning on a regular interval when you use it all the time, but for a rubber that is old and way past its prime, that needs rejuvenated and not just cleaned, quickly wiping it on and off will not do much. But hey, we know who knows, as we have already been told :thumright:

Another note - The rubber will accumulate a touch of weight when letting it sit overnight during a "rejuvenation" application, but think about it.........you are not soaking it everytime you use the oil, only to rejuvenate it. You can then use a quick application for regular cleaning, and rejuvenate again in a month or whenever the rubber starts to "fall off" if indeed it does. A quarter-sized amount soaking in weighs what - a few grams at that.....probably less than a layer of glue build up. Using the oil from the beginning, as a way to clean and keep your rubber in good shape is a different process from trying to bring it back from the dead!

Rise ol' Sprungfeder, Rise

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007, 23:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes, good point! I'll try the quick wipes for all of them first... then after that I will try the more extensive method.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2007, 00:47 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Hi pongcrazy,
I agree with your "once in a while, let it sit" :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2007, 07:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Right....I was just waiting for he who knows before I went ahead :wink: now I can start :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2007, 08:39 
Super User

How come when I look at this thread each line of text goes waaaay off the page? :?: :?:

Makes it a bit of a pain to read to say the least. I thought perhaps it was my browser, but when I check on another thread (to clean or not to clean) the text in that one is all well behaved.

I wonder what's going on?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next