OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 02:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2014, 15:47 

I'm looking for a good quality rollaway table to be used in a carpeted second floor guest room in my house. It's a nice large room with high ceilings, so we're looking to upgrade from the cheapo table we have crammed into a small area in our low ceilinged basement. The idea is that we'd push the furniture to the side of the room to make room for the tsble, and swap the tsble and the furniture when we have guests.

Any recommendations?

I'd like something as small as possible when folded, and easy to roll away (keep in mind that the room is carpeted). But I'd also like a solid good quality table, with a good net, at least 3/4 inch thick. I would need to be able to get it up the stairs when we take delivery.

Thanks.

- Dave

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2014, 16:28 
Super User

You should provide price range.

The Champion 9 (now Xiom T5) is a seriously nice table if >1k is possible.

Double Fish is probably best value if you can get it in your area. ~$600 models very serviceable.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2014, 20:35 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

If you're where I am I'd suggest the Bugsport. Widely available (around here), less than USD200, two piece table. I play on these in two places, no complaints with how they play. Not as heavy duty as the Donic tables I played on at our University club in the US but at this price, they're excellent value!

http://www.bugsport.com.my/index.php?op ... Itemid=435

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2014, 16:55 

Thanks. That one is only 18mm thick, I'm thinking something thicker might be nicer. Ever seen this one:
http://stigatabletennis.com/en/products ... oller-css/

The Stiga Elite Roller CSS? That's 25mm thick. A lot heavier too...

One factor that's pretty important to me is how small it is when folded. Some tables are 6 feet high. Some only 5.

It would also be good if it is easily rollable on carpeting. And I need it to not be tippy when folded.

There was one table I came across that separated into two pieces. That sounds nice. Lighter/easier to roll the halves separately. Also easier to get up the stairs to the room where it would live.

Last edited by Dave T on 04 Nov 2014, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2014, 04:09 
Super User

The quality of the finish also matters, and all 25mm really means is that you're more statistically ensured for decent bounce since some 18mm tables also play well. I've seen cheap 1in tops for ~$500 (and on clearance for ~$300), and while not the greatest were at least better than the average ~18mm top.

I really wish we could get the Champion 9000's in the US since the HDPB material same as the pro models is fantastic and tables are really affordable in Korea.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2014, 04:43 

Thanks agenthex. And thanks for your suggestion of the Xiom. I remember posting a reply to your Xiom post and it's not here. Maybe I forgot to hit "Submit".

Regarding the Xiom - do you know the folded dimensions? It doesn't say. My only concern about that one is how heavy it is (270 pounds!). Other than difficulty getting it up the stairs, I'm wondering if it would be hard to roll on a carpeted floor, or would be tippy.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2014, 04:57 
Super User

I won't be back in the club with the table for a bit but there's an easy way to find out width taken when folded for most tables by eye-balling the "width" of the middle legs and if they connect together between the two sides. Like for example that stiga middle legs (between the sides) don't connect, and maybe 1.5ft between those casters, so ~3ft total or so for the two sides.

The Pro-9 pic show it's similar in basic design, but most (less serious) tables have center connection which makes them slight more structurally solid with less supports and pushing around one piece easier, but the middle doesn't "shrink" so the whole is wider than each piece of pro-ish tables. More expensive tables have more solid beams & casters so easier to push but also heavier to move without the help of the rollers.

Generally IMO you tend to get what you pay for with these. There are some bit better values and you pay a bit more for name brand but overall it's going to cost at retail ~3x how much went into the construction.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2014, 06:38 

Ok, I just measured the space where I'd like to roll it into. It's in an alcove like area, below some windows. The windows start at 50 inches off the floor, so I know there's nothing that would be that low. But 60" would be nice, and I know there are some that are that low. And it's 25" deep. So something 25 inches deep or less, and 60 inches high, would be what I'm looking for.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!