OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: UHU glue ok?
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 16:26 

Can someone please confirm that it is ok to use UHU power or UHU Arts & crafts glue, to put rubber on a carbon and wood blades?

http://www.uhu.com/en/products/all-purp ... 0&step=481

http://www.uhu.com/en/products/creative ... 2&step=205

I've read somewhere in these posts that you can. But no details are given.

If the answer is yes, does it influence the play in any way? Are there any risks to the blade/rubber? Is there a better alternative I can find at a hardware store?

I am stuck where there are no TT shops. I am ordering regular glue for long term but don't want to wait 3 weeks. Thanks!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: UHU glue ok?
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 17:02 

Ive used that uhu power glue to repair shoes... so i fear it's way to strong honestly

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 17:07 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I suspect the glue in the 2nd link is like copydex glue, given that its art and craft glue, so it would be ok. Still, I'd use a test piece of TT rubber on a piece of wood first.

The glue in the first link definitely looks too strong.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 17:14 

So when i do the glue selector on the UHU website based on the 2 types of material, it advises me to use the UHU Power...which i also use to fix my shoes a couple of days ago ;)

I know both will glue it, maybe it's better to try the arts and crafts one as it doesn't seem as strong as the first. The concern is will i be able to remove it. I have to find a piece of wood now...thanks both for the input!

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 17:57 

Pretty sure that the first could damage both rubber and blade, I wouldn't use that. The second one I don't know; if it smells a bit like ammonia it might indeed be something like copydex and could thus be used. Depends how thick the glue is, perhaps it would need some dilution with water? I dilute copydex with water (~4 copydex:1 water) to make it easier to handle.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 18:44 

The Arts & crafts (2nd one) is indeed made out of vinyl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinylpyrrolidone). Vinyl is similar to latex (copydex) but not as strong. Latex is biodegradable but vinyl is not. All in all vinyl seems to be very safe and water soluble.

What we know is that it's not Cement like the UHU power...the Safety data sheet for Power says it's not good for foam like material, so you are right in the sense that it might destroy the sponge.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 04:31 
Super User

Tried once regular UHU glue. Didn't hold to even, crumbled a lot, damages sponge when you try to take off. I don't think this glue is good for table tennis...

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 07:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LATEX MILK (Revultex brand at barrel cargo) --DREAM BOND FOR TABLE TENNIS APPLICATIONS..

http://www.liquidlatexstore.com/solid-color-liquid-latex-body-paint-16-oz.html

Since quite recently we have been applying natural latex liquid as comes directly from Malaisia hevea-tree plantation.
It is the cheapest to give your heart a lot of enjoyment. Ideal adhesive to bond up table tennis rubber and blade. Ideal adhesive in every way.
USA inland most reasonable price $17 for 16 oz = 0.48 L

http://www.liquidlatexstore.com/clearli ... x16oz.html
$15 =16 oz

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 11:39 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

igorponger wrote:
LATEX MILK (Revultex brand at barrel cargo) --DREAM BOND FOR TABLE TENNIS APPLICATIONS..

http://www.liquidlatexstore.com/solid-color-liquid-latex-body-paint-16-oz.html

Since quite recently we have been applying natural latex liquid as comes directly from Malaisia hevea-tree plantation.
It is the cheapest to give your heart a lot of enjoyment. Ideal adhesive to bond up table tennis rubber and blade. Ideal adhesive in every way.
USA inland most reasonable price $17 for 16 oz = 0.48 L

http://www.liquidlatexstore.com/clearli ... x16oz.html
$15 =16 oz

ROFL.. People actually paint their bodies with raw latex????? Some people are really allergic to the proteins in raw latex - it used to be a big problem with latex gloves. These days they try to remove as much of the proteins as possible from the latex before they make it into products such as tubing and gloves. Even then some people will break out in rashes.

I'm surprised this works as table tennis rubber - I suppose it's similar to the water-based glues they sell, but think about it - if it's tacky enough to hold your rubber on the blade after it's dried it means the two dried surfaces will stick to each other. You can imagine how undesirable this would be for body paint.... :lol: :lol: :lol: Imagine a room full of clubbers stuck to each other.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 14:28 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The only UHU glue easily available around these parts is the stuff in the yellow tube. I don't know if it's the same as the stuff in the link on the first post (it doesn't have the word "Power" on it). I've never tried it for gluing rubber. It's not a terribly strong contact adhesive, but it is a lot stronger than the "rubber cement" we use for gluing rubber (e.g. Elmer's). I suppose one day I might try it on a cheap blade and rubber - if it starts pulling out chunks of foam when you remove the rubber then you know it's too strong.

The other glue (the Arts and Crafts glue) is probably PVA-based, and related to wood glue (e.g. Elmer's Glue-all). I don't think it'd be suitable for gluing rubber at all - it's not a contact cement, so you can't let it dry on both surfaces and then attach the sheet, you can't apply it wet (it'd never dry out). That said, there is someone here who says he had success using Elmer's Glue-all for gluing rubber to blades. From what he says it's really easy to wash the glue off a rubber once you remove it, and this makes me think he's applying it wet and it never ever dries. If it ever dries in contact with wood (especially if it seeps into the wood as it's supposed to) it'll never come off the wood.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 21:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Clear body paint is factually 100% pure natural latex milk. Just the same staff as you would get from tt shop, those butiful tiny bottles labeled as Table Tennis voc free adhesive, at insane price 75usd for 16 0z.

Poor knowledge is a money waster.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2015, 00:58 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Maybe they put talcum powder on the latex once it's dried then... Or glitter, or something that prevents it from sticking to itself. Taking it off... :lol: I suppose you'd better shave BEFORE you put it on... :lol: :lol: :lol: Or I suppose you get the equivalent of a waxing when you take it off.. :lol: Yeah, I have to admit, table tennis glue is VERY expensive, even the DingJi I use - it costs twice as much as Elmer's Rubber Cement does, and the Elmer's 16 oz. bottle is twice the size. Problem with body paint - I know of one shop in town that MIGHT sell it.. and it's not the sort of shop one wants to be seen in... :lol: :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2015, 08:05 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

chicane wrote:
Can someone please confirm that it is ok to use UHU power or UHU Arts & crafts glue, to put rubber on a carbon and wood blades?

http://www.uhu.com/en/products/all-purp ... 0&step=481

http://www.uhu.com/en/products/creative ... 2&step=205

I've read somewhere in these posts that you can. But no details are given.

If the answer is yes, does it influence the play in any way? Are there any risks to the blade/rubber? Is there a better alternative I can find at a hardware store?

I am stuck where there are no TT shops. I am ordering regular glue for long term but don't want to wait 3 weeks. Thanks!

can ypo not get tt glue?

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2015, 20:45 

I just did not want to wait, but I did locate someone who has the Andro Turbo Fix which i am overpaying for and getting tomorrow.

As someone suggested, i ran a little test w/ both UHUs. I used a dish sponge and toothpicks and neither results were positive. Neither creates a decent rubbery film that you can easily peel. The arts and crafts creates a film that hardens but it grips enough that it seems more likely to rip the wood or the sponge, i just didn't see it removed without damaging my blades. So i opted to be patient and just made few contacts.

I could be wrong, but it seems like any successful glue should have a rubbery consistency that has a higher affinity to itself then to materials it's bringing together.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2015, 05:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ULTIMATE ADVICE OF MINE, SORRY

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=czvwUKnqP_w
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sM4nkkFWeRs

My Dear Fellow Forumers,

Just go and contact to those people starring on this video and ask them where the latex milk staff is available from.

The latex milk is the cheapest adhesive suitable best for table tennis applications.
My dear clubmates enjoyed the staff to the full for most agreeable money expenditure. We applyed the staff quite massively to our heart full content. Dirt-cheap staff indeed, so happy acquisition for all tt players.

Friends,
You all must possessing a good sense brimful and your ears all open I guess, so I feel much reluctant to make my offer more than once. Those brainy guys are sure to take my advice to their great benefit, he who hesitates is lost, sorry...

HOW TO APPLY LATEX MILK ONTO THE RUBBER AND BLADE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLw15nYmlGU

Direct entrance to the product
http://halloween-costumes.spirithallowe ... tex+liquid

Last edited by igorponger on 08 Jun 2015, 13:21, edited 3 times in total.