OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 21:45 

Blade: Stiga Carbonado
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P
BH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P
Review by Paul Langley - 20+ national titles, numerous Oceania Champion, Olympian, former National Team Coach and Team Manager and Level 3 Coach

My first impression of the blade was that it looked modern and contemporary, it had a vibrant colour throughout the blade as well as a modern badging yet it still maintained the ‘old school’ Stiga quality product look and feel.

The blade I used is a Flared handle (FL). The blade feels very comfortable in hand with an even balance from the top of the blade to the bottom of the handle.

The blade is also quite firm (some blades have a lot of ‘flex’ in them which, to me, doesn’t feel right). The Stiga Carbonado felt solid and robust yet lightweight and true to hold.

Playing Characteristics
I applied my standard playing rubber to the blade so that I could have a comparison (i.e benchmark) against my previous blade which was a Butterfly Timo Boll ALC. The rubber that I used is a heavier rubber so this did add some extra weight to the blade however the weight was not material.

My first impression was that the blade is very solid when playing strokes with very little flex and a solid feeling. The ball trajectory is flatter with deeper penetration to the long side of the table.
The feeling on the blade is excellent with good control across all parts of the blade – not just at the sweet spot but across the whole face. For close to the table attacking play (counter loops) it is excellent – it is quick and does not require a lot of backswing.

Blocking and punching from close to the table off the BH was also excellent – as the blade has a hard feel and a flatter ball flight it was important for me to take the ball at the top of the bounce and hit through it – this took a little bit of an adjustment however is now a positive as the penetration in the shot is strong and deep.

The blade is very quick, much quicker than my previous blades yet it is very stable with a consistent all round bounce across the whole blade face.

Looping back from the table is excellent however with the low arc and ball trajectory it was really important to use my legs to drive the ball up. Once again, a small adjustment however the positives of the drive that the ball has off the blade outweighs that extra effort required to lift the ball. The Stiga Carbonado blade seems to be easier when playing back from the table than my other previous blades yet still maintains a high degree of control.

Blocking off of a loop is fantastic – it has a strong feel to it and one that requires little effort to produce a positive drive to the ball with deep penetration to the table.

Return of service is good – although it is a fast blade it still enables you to play with soft and deft touch. If the ball is half long the ability to lift the ball is excellent yet the blade does not ‘throw’ a high ball trajectory when returning serve thereby making it more of a challenge for my opponent.
In relation to service, the feeling of the blade still enables you to generate high spin on the serve – I found no noticeable degradation in service quality.

Summary
I have been using the Stiga Carbonado 290 blade now for a number of weeks now, in both training and competition, and feel that the blade is performing really well in hand.

It provides excellent control and drive with a low arc to the ball – I feel that with a softer rubber (rather than a harder rubber) the blade would play even better.

Overall, I really rate this blade, it looks great, it is contemporary in its design, has a solid feel to it, is firm and is fast. The blade provides a low trajectory to the ball with deep penetration to the long side of the table.

I would highly recommend this blade to a player that plays with strong attack both close and away from the table.

PostPosted: 03 May 2017, 00:29 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Quicker than the ALC? :o

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 03 May 2017, 13:52 

Blade: Stiga Carbonado
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P
BH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P
Yeah it is quicker than the ALC ...... one of the quickest blades I have used.......

PostPosted: 04 May 2017, 00:17 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
BH: Victas Spectol S1
I've been trying to find a.. an idea of what a defensive blade like the Joo or Matsushita Offensive (Victas) would compare in terms of speed to blades like the ALC; have you by chance ever tried any modern defense setups?

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 08:57 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
i am waiting for da to buy it bcs i know he will:)

and then we will see how is it when paired with anti or lp...

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 15:22 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
111Iceman111 wrote:
i am waiting for da to buy it bcs i know he will:)

and then we will see how is it when paired with anti or lp...

Yo talkin' to me???

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 20:19 
Super User

ofc:)

:party:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 21:05 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
111Iceman111 wrote:
ofc:)

:party:

Well, sorry to disappoint you, but I am not about to try it. I am happy with Revolution and if I change it will not be to a blade faster than Carbonado 190.

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 02:28 
Super User

ah ok, you said you are waiting for it earlier so i thought you will get it... :rock:

PostPosted: 22 May 2021, 20:06 
Super User

Blade: Xiom Michelangelo
FH: andro Rasanter R48
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 25 FX
Another review of Carbonado 290 (with Stiga DNA Pro H):

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2021, 00:55 
Super User

iI had a hit with the 245 not the 290 for 20 minutes and i am hugely impressed with the speed and penetration of this blade.

Stiga Mantra Hard on one side and 05 Tenergy on the backhand.

Never hit the ball so hard before especially on the forehand side.

It still grips the ball well enough to produce excellent spin.

The two main features are the super low throw and insane speed.

Zero vibration.

Fastest blade i have used by some margin. Feels faster than Sardius i think.

I should add i tested hitting twenty or so forehand drives with the Mantra Hard then another twenty with the 05 and with the Mantra Hard it comes off so much flatter and more penetrating. Conclusion - this blade with a very fast hard sponge rubber is difficult to use but if you are able to execute the shot you get such a deep flat ball almost like using pips.

I am loving this setup but it took me a good few hours to gain consistency with it.

I have taken the Tenergy 05 black off the backhand and put a sheet of Tenergy 05 Hard on but yet to test it.

Going to twiddle and also try the 05 Hard on my forehand to see how it differs from the Mantra Hard. Will get back soon.

The Mantra H is far superior on my forehand for driving flat through the ball producing a much flatter ball than the very loopy trajectory of the 05 Hard.

For pure flat drives the Mantra H wins hands down but if you prefer solely looping the Tenergy is the way to go.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2021, 01:05 
Super User

I bought a Stiga Carbonado 290 today.

Is it faster than the 245 - yes.

Does it it have a flatter trajectory than the 245 - hugely.

Not so much faster just much more penetrating / flatter /deeper ball.

I borrowed a friends 290 last week and tried numerous rubber combos on it before i bought one today.

The flattest hitting rubber by far is the Mizuno Q3 but only the black side. I tried the red Q3 but it was a little loopy for me.

I use a red Tenergy 05 Hard on the backhand. Really good combo.

Mizuno Q3 is the driving rubber in their range - similar to Tenergy 64

Speed is rated at 9.5 and its grip is superb. I cut both rubbers15 mm above the base of the blade to reduce weight.

Much prefer the black on the Q3 as i said - the deep flat trajectory of the rubber in combo with the 290 results in very short rallies.

Particularly good at controlling incoming spin due to the super low arc it produces.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2021, 17:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
mac33 wrote:
I cut both rubbers15 mm above the base of the blade to reduce weight.

That's a clever way to reduce weight. :up:

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2021, 15:46 
Super User

Here is a really good link.

https://ttgearlab.com/2019/06/10/stiga- ... -lab-test/

After extensive testing the last few weeks i agree the 290 is faster than the 245 by some margin

The feel of the 290 is much sharper or crisper than the 245

One thing i have noticed testing various blades is the difference in speed when brushing the ball very fine is very small.

A defensive or all round blade is not that much slower than a super fast blade when you lift the ball steeply on a brush loop.

As you flatten your shots out the differences becomes greater.

I now use a black 05 Tenergy on my backhand as i feel it is better than 05 Hard at lifting the ball and offers more spin with a higher arc.

On the forehand i am using a Mizuno Q3 red sheet as the black sheet i was using previously the throw angle was just too low to be consistent.

What i enjoy most about the Carbonado 290 is not so much the performance or speed but the super crisp solid feel.

Solid like the Butterfly Sardius but with a much more crisper feel.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2021, 23:33 

Hi mac33,
may I ask you where you bought the Carbonado 245 and the 290 and if you remember the weight of the 290?
I would ask the same question about the 290 to Langersx2 too, but his last visit to the forum was in 2018....