OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 01:54 

If you have the problem keeping the index finger from creeping up towards the center of the backside of the paddle ( i.e. in the shake-hand holding style) , then you are in the same boat as mine !
Two years ago, I suggested a few solutions in this Forum to solve this issue ( Ref.: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28161 ) . They all involve attaching some type of blockers to the paddle itself .

Recently , I tried out another simple design which can be clipped on the paddle and hold the index the finger in place . I feel more comfortable with this design compared to previous ones .
In this design :

1) A length about 3.5 inches of a 3/16 inch. steel flat bar with 1/64 inch. in thickness was used (See Pic_01).

2) It was then inserted into a 3.5 inch. long flexible plastic tube 3/16 inch. ID (i.e. inner diamter) to keep the steel bar from scratching the rubbers on the ping-pong paddle later on (see Pic_02) .

3) The shaping of the index-finger guard was achieved using a long round-nose plyer and a plyer (see Pic_03 & Pic_04) . It took me about 5 minutes to bend the flatbar into its final shape.

4) The final product was shown in Pic_05.

5) Pic_06 & Pic_07 show the side view & front view of the device as worn on the index finger.

6) The device as clipped on the paddle can be seen in Pic_08 & Pic_09

As the device is worn on the the index finger and temporarily clipped on the paddle , I think it is legal under ITTF rule . Please comment on this crucial point .

Pic_01

Pic_02

Pic_03

Pic_04

Pic_05

Pic_06

Pic_07

Pic_08

Pic_09

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 02:57 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I like the original one.. a lot more convenient. Despite the negative comments I don't think it's illegal. A much smaller, thinner bit of rubber would work just as well, though.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 03:44 

iskandar taib wrote:
I like the original one.. a lot more convenient. Despite the negative comments I don't think it's illegal. A much smaller, thinner bit of rubber would work just as well, though.

Iskandar

You can move the rubber up about 1/4 inch and glue the eraser piece on to the blade rather than the rubber to assure its legality under ITTF rules.

In my view, the new design is more flexible as you can move the finger-guard along the edge of the paddle to fit your play style & comfort in gripping the handle . Thanks for the comment .

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 10:44 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Good idea, I like it. Can't see why it wouldnt be legal but even so is a great training aid

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 10:52 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
You might get objections if the ball hit the curl around extension on the FH side. Is this strictly necessary? If you did not have that 1/2 inch curl on the end, the device would be exactly like wearing a ring, and the finger would still be free to move a bit, but could not move up the rubber, I think.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 12:56 

darucla wrote:
You might get objections if the ball hit the curl around extension on the FH side. Is this strictly necessary? If you did not have that 1/2 inch curl on the end, the device would be exactly like wearing a ring, and the finger would still be free to move a bit, but could not move up the rubber, I think.

I had thought about this aspect and experimented with it already. If the finger-guard has no anchor on the red side, then the ring has to be a litlle tight and not turning while you are playing . From a few crude prototypes I made , the straight leg failed to stop the index finger : the ring kept turning back & forth . That is the reason why I need the L shape leg under the ring to provide a reliable anchor for the finger-guard. If the ring is made from a mould and fits snuggly on the index finger then it might work as you mentioned .

My finger-guard design basically is a clip-on to the racket . The anchor segment may be reduced a bit more in length to minimize its chance being hit by the ball . Or by moving the finger-guard more towards the handle of the paddle (see Pic_ 10) , the anchor segment can even touch the thumb on the red rubber side ( See Pic_11) . So the chance the ball hits the anchor segment is about the same as it hits the thumb !

Thanks darucla & cobalt for your kind comments.

Pic_10 The finger-guard is moved closer to the handle

Pic_11 The thumb can even cover the finger-guard anchor !

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 01:25 

The comments received really inspired me to further refine my finger-guard design . Here is my latest one .

1) I started out using the same material & tools : flatbar + plastic tubing (see Pic_12 & Pic_13)

2) The flatbar was inserted into the plastic sheath first (see Pic_14) then bent into its final shape (see Pic_15). Note that you can adjust the values A, B, C and D indicated in Pic_15 accordingly to suit your personal requirements to assure the optimal level of comfort for your style of play .

3) Pic_16 to Pic_20 illustrate the finger-guard in action

Personally, this is my favorite design so far as it is so simple to make ( about 5 minutes with all materials ready at hand), easy to clip onto the blade and I think it comply with ITTF regulations . I would love to hear your comment on this vital issue . Thanks .

Pic_12

Pic_13

Pic_14

Pic_15

Pic_16

Pic_17

Pic_18

Pic_19

Pic_20

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 03:19 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
I think that one looks pretty good, and you would be unlucky if anyone complained about it.

I was messing around with a couple of joined rubber bands, which would go from the wrist, across the palm and then to the index finger. This would allow movement of the finger but tends to bring it back into place.

It's not really something that should be used on a continuous basis IMO, but certainly a good training aid.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 03:29 

darucla wrote:
I think that one looks pretty good, and you would be unlucky if anyone complained about it.

I was messing around with a couple of joined rubber bands, which would go from the wrist, across the palm and then to the index finger. This would allow movement of the finger but tends to bring it back into place.

It's not really something that should be used on a continuous basis IMO, but certainly a good training aid.

If the rubber band approach works for you then it's all the better ! :clap:
I tried it but did not feel comfortable with the tension of the rubber band as I was always conscious of its exerted pressure on the index finger . When it became a distraction in the game, I dropped it and started looking for other solutions . :?:

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 10:09 

[quote="tommyngo"]

I came across another attempt to solve this problem in another Forum :

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_po ... e-solution

At first, I was skeptical of its efficacity but ... Oh, man ... It worked beautifully for me ! It is so unbelievably simple but somehow it solved my problem with the "travelling" index finger !!

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 13:34 
Super User

You could just glue your backhand rubber with a half inch gap like penholders do. Natural barrier for the index finger.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 23:27 

lasta wrote:
You could just glue your backhand rubber with a half inch gap like penholders do. Natural barrier for the index finger.

The thickness of the rubber is not enough for an effective barrier in my case as the index finger still "travells" all over ! . I even tried a 3/4" and 1 "" gap and ended up with a top-heavy paddle which was not suitable for my play at all !

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 00:34 

Here is another approach I found on youtube to solve the problem , using just a piece of string . I tried it and it really worked !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYidtXuW6Gg&feature=youtu.be

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 02:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Why don't you just hold the paddle right?

I always wondered, could you put something on the back of your hand and sometimes when needed use that to hit from?

Like the foot clan from ninja turtles.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 03:02 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

tommyngo wrote:
Here is another approach I found on youtube to solve the problem , using just a piece of string . I tried it and it really worked !!

That's some serious edge tape.. :lol:

Iskandar