OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Feb 2020, 16:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2019, 16:47 

Blade: Kokutaku Bishu No.1 D40
FH: 729FX (Blue Package)
BH: -
I was wondering if waterproofing sprays work well in sealing blades. Some waterproofing sprays can be applied on materials like wood. Waterproofing sprays repel water, how would they work with water-based glues and waterproofing blades?

Of course, nothing could top poly-u in sealing a blade effectively but if waterproofing sprays do work, then that is pretty neat. Thoughts?

On the same topic, what is the optimal way of sealing 1 ply hinoki blades without making it harder and affecting its feel? Diluted glue? Poly-u? Sanding sealer? Acrylics lacquer? I've done my research on OOAK and MyTableTennis, and I ended up getting confused on what is suitable for hinoki blades. :sweat:

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2019, 23:32 
Super User

Honestly, I think single ply hinokis don't have much of a problem with splintering as other thin veneers. If you want to preserve the soft feel, then no varnish needed. If you are really worried, then use WBG on your sponge but speedglue on the blade. This is a weaker bond and much less risks of splintering even on limba blades.

Personally, I do 2-3 layers of poly because I want a harder/crisper feel haha.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2019, 00:13 

lasta wrote:
Honestly, I think single ply hinokis don't have much of a problem with splintering as other thin veneers. If you want to preserve the soft feel, then no varnish needed. If you are really worried, then use WBG on your sponge but speedglue on the blade. This is a weaker bond and much less risks of splintering even on limba blades.

Personally, I do 2-3 layers of poly because I want a harder/crisper feel haha.

Mmhm'. I'm aware that hinoki doesn't splinter a lot compared to the other woods, but the horror stories of splintered hinoki had me pondering hard. :P

Other than not risking my blade splintering, I also wanted to seal a one ply hinoki to waterproof it. My Nittaku Trefire is often drenched in sweat, so it decolourised and I don't really want that. The second time I had another rubber glued to it, the top ply also kinda looked like wet toilet roll overtime, so more preventive measures from deterioration of my future blades. Once I receive my Kokutaku Bishu No. 1 D40, its time to paint the table tennis club red. :devil:

The speed glue and WBG combo is interesting, will take it into consideration.

Though, do the waterproofing sprays work? Some sprays even claimed that it wouldn't alter the material sprayed on at all. I would try, but I don't really want to risk ruining my beautiful Kokutaku in the future.

If it doesn't, I'll just slap poly on and hope that I applied a layer thin enough. Superglue the edges maybe? We'll see.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2019, 00:40 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
I actually splintered a hinoki blade years ago.

I tried spray method before as well with PU. But couldn’t make a uniform coat due to my incompetence of handling spray can. So I just use wipe on wipe off with sponge/cloth.

My rule: seal all blades regardless types of woods, brands, price, etc. Been doing this almost two decades, and each time I regretted I don’t seal one. Because whenever I didn’t, sure enough, the blade got splintered. This from big top brands to chinese brands alike.

Late last year I purposely didn’t seal one of my recent acquired blade. I want to see whether in late 2018 they had make any progress. Sure enough, splintered at the very first rubber peel.

So, I’m back with rule number one: seal all blade!

Thin even layer would do if you’re the afraid type. If you change rubbers often, check the seal every so often.

Two thin layers are best for me.

instagram: rokphishtt

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2019, 02:04 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Wipe the poly on, then wipe it off. Let it dry and do it again.
Hinoki is fine grain and it does not take much to seal it.
Two coats applied like this is not detectable. We have done blind tests, sealed and unsealed.
Seal the blade. Use poly. Do not use "made for table tennis sealers". They don't even tell you what they are made from. They just repackage some sealer and raise the price 3 or 4 fold.
Seal it. Just don't use a paint brush. Not needed.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2019, 02:43 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Hookshot wrote:
Just Seal It.

Hookshot,

That is fodder for the next Weird Al Yankovic music vid.

Hit us up on FB or the Forum

Janitor at Nexy USA
http://www.NexyUSA.com
http://www.facebook.com/Nexyusa/

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2019, 03:35 

Alrighty then. Poly it is. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

If I were to use poly, do I use the water-based one or the oil one? Also, not so knowledgeable about poly I admit but if water-based, wouldn't it damage wood since the main component is water?

Two thin layers, wouldn't one thin layer be enough to prevent water from soaking in?

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2019, 04:59 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Water based or mineral based are both very water resistant when dry.
Mineral based will give a slight warm tone to the wood. Water based is very clear.
Water based "might" raise the grain, very small hairs depending on the wood. If it does, sand with # 320 or 400 and give it one more coat.
Poly is the most water resistant and scratch resistant finish commonly available. Per Woodworkers Magazine. They tested hundreds of finishes. :)

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2019, 11:46 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
I learnt from Hookshot about sealing and using PU. But not as determined as he was/is.

I tried the Table Tennis Sealer, namely Xiom i-sure (well, they sent one for me to try/review). I will recommend this kind of sealer for those afraid to do some hand work, or buying PU in bulk. Sometimes they're not available in small quantity and/or the price is more expensive. Whatever. The little sealer works fine and quite convenient. Just remember to rinse the sponge after use otherwise will get hard and brittled. Well, for prolonged use, the sponge will disintegrate anyway, but well past it's value already so I'm very satisfied. Once the liquid was gone, I just refilled it with PU and use the little bottle and sponge for convenient sealing. I kept refilling and using until the sponge was broken. I bought another for convenience.

Lately I don't use that anymore and just use small piece of cloth.

I also experience with various water proofing liquid, they kind they use for wood, bricks, whatever. So far so good as well.

And by the way, that little bottle of Table Tennis sealer, could seal a lot of blades. I experimented once, sealing blades using that little bottle until the last drop in one go. I ended up sealing 26 blades. That's two layers on the whole blades' surface (head and handle).

Attachments:
rokphishtt-20190310-0001.jpg
rokphishtt-20190310-0001.jpg [ 73.51 KiB | Viewed 397 times ]

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2019, 13:48 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

A little tip about oil-based polyurethane (my preferred material). Once you open a can, if you don't use it all in about six months, it'll go bad. First a hard layer forms on the surface. Eventually it gets thicker and becomes useless. This is because it reacts to air and polymerizes. To keep this from happening, drill a couple of holes on opposite sides of the can, near the top. Screw in a couple of appropriately sized sheet metal screws, tip the can slightly so some of the varnish leaks into the threads where the holes are. Allow to harden, and you'll have a nice airtight seal. Whenever you want to use the varnish, don't take off the top of the can - instead, take out both screws and pour out as much varnish as you need into a Dixie cup. Then put the screws back in, and tip the can slightly to get varnish onto the insides of the screws again. My can from two years ago is still good.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2019, 21:13 
Super User

Black Cristal technology is going to protect the blade without more sealants.
I love BC blades so much.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2019, 00:13 

Alright, thanks once again guys. Waterproofing spray doesn't seem to last as long as poly, so I'm going with the latter to seal. :D