OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Need advice on rubbers
PostPosted: 19 May 2019, 18:35 

Blade: Stiga All round Classic
FH: Yasaka Mark V Max
BH: Yasaka Mark V Max
Hi All,
My current setup is as follows:
Blade: Stiga All round classic
FH/BH: Yasaka Mark V

I needed help as I wanted to change my rubbers on both FH/BH to something harder like Hurricane 3 / Friendship 729 Super FX. I want hardness difference between the rubbers to be 2 degrees.
Can you guys please suggest me appropriate rubbers according to my need. Budget for both rubbers is around 40 dollars. Looking for cheap chinese hard rubbers.
Would my current Stiga blade suit them or should build another setup for these new rubbers?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 19 May 2019, 20:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
There are many hard-sponged Chinese rubbers. However Chinese rubbers are notorious for having inconsistant sponge hardness values, so unless you measure/feel them before you buy them, you'll be lucky to find ones 2deg difference.
Are you sure that's your main requirement? Rubber feel depends on many things, sponge hardness is only one of them.

PostPosted: 19 May 2019, 20:19 

Not sure of what I want since I'm a beginner who started playing 2 months back of 5 hours weekly in my office. Recently stumbly upon Emrat thich YouTube channel and his pingsunday blog, which suggested to have a flexible blade with hard rubbers. So far I'm happy with current setup which is way expensive for me. Was thinking to move to chinese rubbers when Mark V would wear off with some cheap options.
I want to improve my technique as of now and not fall into EJ trap.

PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 14:03 

Blade: YinHe N11
FH: KTL Pro XT
BH: RITC 563 OX
It's interesting...
It sounds like I am in the same beginner boat but my path is different.
I have started with 729 Super FX rubber and found it to be way more powerful and bouncy compared to pre-mades I used before.
It's difficult for me to control over the table and close to the table, far from the table is excellent.

So I think that I have jumped ahead of myself and pondering moving to... your current setup!
To softer rubber with less spin and more control, which is Yasaka V - the rubber almost universally recommended for beginners and intermediate players.
The majority must be right!

PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 14:06 
Super User

tmorajkar wrote:
Hi All,
My current setup is as follows:
Blade: Stiga All round classic
FH/BH: Yasaka Mark V

I needed help as I wanted to change my rubbers on both FH/BH to something harder like Hurricane 3 / Friendship 729 Super FX. I want hardness difference between the rubbers to be 2 degrees.
Can you guys please suggest me appropriate rubbers according to my need. Budget for both rubbers is around 40 dollars. Looking for cheap chinese hard rubbers.
Would my current Stiga blade suit them or should build another setup for these new rubbers?

Your currently setup is good enough for a beginner ... I'd stick with it, if I was in your place..

PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 14:29 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Zverev wrote:
It's interesting...
It sounds like I am in the same beginner boat but my path is different.
I have started with 729 Super FX rubber and found it to be way more powerful and bouncy compared to pre-mades I used before.
It's difficult for me to control over the table and close to the table, far from the table is excellent.

My advice would be to stick with the 729 Super FX, at least for the next 2-3 months. If you're coming from Stiga/Donic/etc. premades, EVERYTHING will feel ultra-fast. It's just a matter of sticking with it for a month or two, and then it will start feeling normal. I don't know what blade you're using, but if you've somehow managed to get a carbon blade or a OFF/OFF+/OFF++ blade, that's what you should change (I'd suggest this blade, it's what I use: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANWEI- ... 84830.html . I don't think Mark V or Sriver would be any slower than 729 FX Super, it will seem just as fast and uncontrollable until you get used to it, and it's fairly expensive stuff.

tmorajkar wrote:

What Haggis says is right - Chinese QC isn't as good as Japanese or German, though even the Japanese and Germans have a tough time making sheets that weigh within a few grams of each other. But it's not really THAT bad. Problem, though, is that 1) a lot of rubbers (the cheaper ones) only come in one sponge hardness, 2) a lot of the ones that offer an option just designate their sponges as "Med. Hard" and "Med. Soft" and they're written in Chinese, to boot, and 3) there are 2 or 3 different hardness scales in use so comparing rubbers from different manufacturers is difficult. 3-4 years ago it was easier to get two sheets of similar rubber with widely different sponge hardnesses - you'd look through the offerings of Palio CJ8000 and Yasaka ZAP (which is actually made by Palio) and you'd see sponges as soft as 36 (Palio) degrees and as has as 42 or 44. And Batwings was available in 42 and 44. I think the only one left is CJ8000 - I haven't looked at those in a while to see what's available. CJ8000/ZAP had their problems, though (mainly "dish" - the sponge shrunk in the package so the rubber is bowed towards the sponge, which makes it difficult to mount on the blade without boosting it first).

There is H3 Neo also (eh? Looks like Eacheng's quit selling Non-Neo..) - it's available in 39, 40 and 41 degrees. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 07360.html But it's not a cheap rubber (coming in over $15 a sheet) and H3 takes some getting used to. You could also get Palio AK47 Blue and AK47 Red (or Yellow). This is a little faster than H3, and might feel somewhat more "normal".

The thing though is... WHY do you need this? Why not just put Yinhe 9000 (or 729 or Corbor or Kokutaku 868) on one side and, say, AK47 Blue on the other, and you'll have a slower/faster combo.

Warning - once you've jumped into this rabbit hole, there's no getting out until you've tried maybe a dozen or so sheets.. and then you'll conclude all the rubbers are pretty similar to each other after all... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 18:49 

I'm thinking too much about my next rubber quite ahead of time which is of no use. Maybe my gameplay after 1 year would not suit Chinese rubbers who knows. For now I'm focusing on improving my technique. Been following TTU, yangyangtt, emrathich and others on YouTube to self learn.
Before my current setup I initially bought Sanwei M8 with T88 rubbers from Amazon which cost around 1800 INR. After couple of sessions I did not liked it, so I returned it. The rubbers were too thin and I was not getting the feeling of brushing the ball. May be I gave it less time to judge.
My current setup which is way more expensive, but it is helping me in improving my game day by day.
Thanks all for your feedback

PostPosted: 22 May 2019, 03:06 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

You mean this racket?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANWEI- ... 74001.html

Technically it's not a M8 but having bought and tried one I can't tell the difference - same construction, same wood, same thickness, same handle, just different color wood for the handle.The rubbers are T88-I and T88 Taiji (supposedly for the backhand), these are "training rubbers" in the same category as 729 and Yinhe 9000. Sponge should NOT be thin (these rubbers only come in Max sponge) and the bat is an excellent one. Again I see reference to brushing the ball - why are you brushing the ball? You should have stuck with this racket for at least a couple months, I think - it's excellent for learning. Slightly faster and a fair amount lighter than a Stiga Allround Classic (I have one of these, too) and better feel, in my opinion.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 May 2019, 03:14 

I did not liked overall feel of the Sanwei M8 and I found it too light, so I returned it. But my current setup Stiga All round Classic + Mark V suits me better. I'm happy with it.