OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2020, 19:45 

Blade: viscaria
FH: rakza7
BH: rakza7
thanks !
i have paste the mercury-2 but while playing it is picking dust and other particle very fast and does not go off easily!! :(
any trick to avoid it or remove it quickly?

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2020, 02:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Water and your hand. Some people use a wet sponge but I think that removes the sticky stuff quicker.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2020, 02:07 

iskandar taib wrote:
Water and your hand. Some people use a wet sponge but I think that removes the sticky stuff quicker.

Iskandar

isn't it better that sticky stuff is removed or moderated quickly ?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2020, 02:26 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I guess it depends. Some people like it sticky. :lol: (If you like something permanently sticky I'd suggest 729 Bloom - it's still just as sticky after 2-3 months of playing.)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2020, 13:17 

iskandar taib wrote:
I guess it depends. Some people like it sticky. :lol: (If you like something permanently sticky I'd suggest 729 Bloom - it's still just as sticky after 2-3 months of playing.)

Iskandar

why do people prefer stickiness?
what does it create, more spin and control, or both?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2020, 14:50 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

To be honest, I'm not sure. The Chinese pro players definitely do, on the forehand. (On the backhand most of them use Tenergy 05, which is not sticky.) I don't think tacky rubbers are any spinnier than non-tacky rubbers (Tenergy 05 supposedly produces tremendous spin, which is what causes it's "high throw") except, perhaps, when brushing the ball. What it MIGHT be is that the tack reduces or moderates the SPEED of the rubber in low-impact situations - i.e. in over-the-table pushing. Though why this would be advantageous on the forehand but not the backhand baffles me.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2020, 15:02 

iskandar taib wrote:
To be honest, I'm not sure. The Chinese pro players definitely do, on the forehand. (On the backhand most of them use Tenergy 05, which is not sticky.) I don't think tacky rubbers are any spinnier than non-tacky rubbers (Tenergy 05 supposedly produces tremendous spin, which is what causes it's "high throw") except, perhaps, when brushing the ball. What it MIGHT be is that the tack reduces or moderates the SPEED of the rubber in low-impact situations - i.e. in over-the-table pushing. Though why this would be advantageous on the forehand but not the backhand baffles me.

Iskandar

thanks for the great insight!
any other experienced comment from anyone?
what does the tacky rubber do better than non-tacky rubbers?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2020, 15:19 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
vishal01 wrote:
Quote:

Pick the ball up from the table and hold it there hanging down from the rubber for an amount of time directly proportional to the stickiness.

I used 729 Geospin Tacky a couple of rubber changes back, and when it was new it could do that for a couple of seconds. Supposedly Globe 999 (IIRC) could hold it for half a minute or more.

Try doing that with a grippy rubber!

You did ask.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2020, 19:15 

Retriever wrote:
vishal01 wrote:
Quote:

Pick the ball up from the table and hold it there hanging down from the rubber for an amount of time directly proportional to the stickiness.

I used 729 Geospin Tacky a couple of rubber changes back, and when it was new it could do that for a couple of seconds. Supposedly Globe 999 (IIRC) could hold it for half a minute or more.

Try doing that with a grippy rubber!

You did ask.

really, Thats it!!
i thought there must be some solid reasons thats why so many people use it.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2020, 21:57 

vishal01 wrote:
thanks !
i have paste the mercury-2 but while playing it is picking dust and other particle very fast and does not go off easily!! :(
any trick to avoid it or remove it quickly?
Play in a clean dust-free environment. Clean your rubber as often as needed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2020, 21:58 

iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar
The tackiness is built into the rubber. There is no "sticky stuff" to remove. Cleaning your rubbers does not make them less tacky.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 02:34 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

JulianTT wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar
The tackiness is built into the rubber. There is no "sticky stuff" to remove. Cleaning your rubbers does not make them less tacky.

I beg to disagree. The tackiness of most Chinese rubbers do "rub off" in a fairly short amount of time. The worst thing to use would be something abrasive, like that "magic sponge" Daiso sells (I made that mistake when I first started playing again 4 years ago) - "magic sponge" is designed to be abrasive, even though it FEELS so nice and smooth. I believe with most Chinese rubbers the tacky stuff is a glue, it gets applied by that "protection sheet" that you have to peel off before you start playing. They make this glue in several strengths - note the myriad types of Kokutaku 868 - some are non-tacky, some are ultra-tacky. I don't think they're making different topsheets - that would be illegal. Instead, they apply different adhesives to the topsheet for different levels of tackiness.

It's been a long time since I posted this video.. :lol:

The exceptions to this are Bloom, and the old 999 rubbers. Bloom might have one of those "two layer" "topshits" that Igor keeps complaining about (he claims it's "illegal" for some reason). As I said, my racket with Bloom on it is as tacky as it was on day one. And 999? I believe it uses an older technology - probably just less sulfur in the topsheet, or less time in the vulcanizing press. If you leave a sheet on a racket for 3-4 years the topsheet will actually MELT - it makes a mess of other rackets in the same box, too. That "Yung" mushroom pips rubber that Eacheng sells probably has the same old technology, because it melts, too.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 02:56 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/ ... ers-sticky
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/ ... ese-rubber

Special treat for Iskandar in the first link.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 03:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yeah, there's a great deal of speculation about what they put in rubber to make it tacky, and it's all speculation. As you'd expect, Igor then comes in with some nonsense about "nitroso" compounds (nitrosobenzene, mentioned in the patent, is highly toxic and smells of almonds - definitely not something you want). Still speculation in any case. So is my theory about the layer of adhesive, but it's as good as anyone else's speculation, and it's consistent with why the tack goes away with use. No one (other than the folks at DHS and 729) know for sure. But I have shown that you CAN make rubber tacky by applying an adhesive, and such adhesives are in common use (mainly on tapes). And you'd have to admit, it'd be an easy way to add tack to any sort of rubber, no need for exotic chemicals.

I use the "apply water and then wipe off with the palm of your hand" method, myself. If you DO want to use a sponge or a cloth, wipe lightly and as little as possible, I think. It's quite funny, in the 1990s oil from your skin was BAD, it caused rubbers to lose their grip. Back then we avoided even touching the rubber. We used dishwashing detergent to remove oily fingerprints. Now it's GOOD, because oils cause rubber to soften and keeps it pliable. You'll see pros constantly wiping the face of their racket with their sweaty palms.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 18:39 

@iskandar In my and other people's experience, the tackiness does not fade over time and it restores itself. If anything, it gets better over time. The best thing to use on a rubber is a slightly damp microfiber cloth. Then I cover the rubber with a non-tacky plastic sheet and remove all the air bubbles. The longer the sheet stays on - 1 day - 1 week - 1 month - the tackier the rubber becomes. I have 729 and Yinhe rubbers used since last April that are possibly tackier now than on day 1. I have more recent Battle II and H3 Neo rubbers that don't show any sign or reduction.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next