OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2020, 22:47 

charmander defender wrote:
We forgot to mention the lp rubbers.The most harmed players in all the history of sport. :lol: We will never see a final between a defender and an attacker with the current regulations.

Current pips are the least effective in history.Why? Due to the unfair black legend and the quarrel between the doc and the famous name at the ITTF.

Are there limitations of the pimple size or what?

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2020, 01:51 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

There were a couple of rules changes. One limited the aspect ratio of the pips so there was a limit to how long and skinny you could make the pips (this was a LONG time ago, around the late 90s, before Joo Se Hyuk rose to prominence, so I don't think it hurt him in the least), and the more recent one did away with the "frictionless pips" (not exactly sure when this happened, probably this last decade). The "frictionless pips" had, if rumors are true, epoxy on the pip tips, and were used for a close-to-the-table blocking style of play. Supposedly frictionless enough that you could totally ignore incoming spin. Whether or not ANYONE would have made it into the WC finals with one of these is doubtful - the best of these players was ranked around 100 IIRC, but I imagine they did win a lot of smaller tournaments and leagues, and certain players hated playing against them. As you can see from what's been posted here and elsewhere, there's been a lot of resentment and bad feelings over these rules changes. Particularly the second one, because it was more recent.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2020, 02:54 
Super User

charmander defender wrote:
We forgot to mention the lp rubbers.The most harmed players in all the history of sport. :lol: We will never see a final between a defender and an attacker with the current regulations.

Current pips are the least effective in history.Why? Due to the unfair black legend and the quarrel between the doc and the famous name at the ITTF.

I'm not sure, if this is due to the restriction on the type of LP allowed, or whether it's due to the type of ball used, nowadays ....

If you think about it - Rubber like FL3, FL2, and P-1R, have been around for well over a decade, and to the best of my knowledge have remained unchanged (??) .. Yet, defense players, like Joo, Chen Weixing, Filus, Panagiotis, did pretty well for themselves.. I'm not sure if any of these players used FLPs, atleast after they broke into the Top 50 .. I think, it's more to do with the type of ball.

Also, Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I cannot think of a single Top 50 or even Top 100 FLP player (Atleast in the mens category), even before the ban on FLP .. Fabian Akerstorm is one player that comes to mind, and his best ITTF ranking was 165, and he achieved that, post the FLP era..

Pardon my sheer lack of knowledge on the state of womens Pro TT, from yesteryear.. There may have been FLP players on the Pro Womens circuit ..

I wonder, what prompted the ITTF to ban FLP ... ? Could it then be that it was due to the rampant (??) use of FLP on the Seniors Pro Circuit ??

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2020, 07:53 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
Fabian would’ve easily been a top 50 player if frictionless hadn’t been banned. He made the semis in the junior worlds and lost to a Japanese player in a very tight match (Mizutani?).

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2020, 12:06 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Still, "top 50" isn't anywhere near finals material. Problem is anyone in the top 30 could easily handle playing against that style - it wouldn't bother them, and this style is mainly about bothering the other player through "toxic returns". The current inverted rubbers favor attacking play because the top players can generate enough power to overcome any defensive style. Even the top defenders attack a lot. The only really high level player I can think of who plays this blocking game is Manika Bhatra, and she's no defender. On the other hand, at the lower levels, especially at the very much lower levels, these rubbers really do befuddle a lot of players who aren't used to playing against them. Look at the comments on YouTube videos involving people who play with this style - there are a lot of angry people out there (on both sides).. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2020, 15:06 
Super User

mart1nandersson wrote:
Fabian would’ve easily been a top 50 player if frictionless hadn’t been banned. He made the semis in the junior worlds and lost to a Japanese player in a very tight match (Mizutani?).

umm... I'm not sure about that ... He was on the Pro circuit, even before the ban .. Infact, as I mentioned earlier, his best ranking was post the FLP ban ..

Plus, as Iskander said, most players in Top 50 or even Top 100, would not be bothered by FLP .... Even if Fabian would beat them, it wouldn't be entirely due to the use of FLP .. His game was more than just using the FLP as a crutch .. ... Sure, some players would take some time to adjust.. maybe, even lose the first set, or lose a point or 2, due to FLP effect, but by-n-large, not get beaten, simply due to FLP ..

Also, come on - Do you think, that pros didn't incorporate playing against FLP type players, into their intensive training sessions ... ? Gaining the know-how on how to play FLP would've probably occurred, way way before these guys even turned pro ..

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2020, 05:47 

Blade: Butterfly Clearfield FL
FH: Yasaka Do
BH: Yasaka Do
iskandar taib wrote:
Actually, if anything, blades have slowed down a little, or at least they've tried to moderate the hardness and feel of carbon blades, by putting the non-wood layers deeper in the blade, beneath two layers of wood. They've also gone to thinner carbon. Alternatives to carbon, though - those have been around since the 1990s - aramids, arylates, glass, etc.

What HAS changed (quite recently) is that the top pros have been moving to faster blades - they used to use all-wood blades, now some have moved to arylate-carbon blades.

Some of the fastest blades were made in the 80s and 90s - among them the Tamca 5000 Butterflies.

Iskandar

I had heard that players could get tennis elbow from the stiffness of the early carbon blades. I also have a Butterfly Keyshot blade and I used it for a while before the Clearfield but I never really liked it that much. It could have been the straight handle but I was always a bit uncomfortable with the balance. That one has Arylyte and maybe that makes it softer.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2020, 04:48 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Dr. Neubauer won many world veterans championships with frictionless LP. Sebastian Sauer beat a world top 100 player. Blocking at the table with FLP was a very viable game style at every level of table tennis competition except the very elite.

If frictionless LPs returned, current frictionless antis would disappear overnight.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2020, 06:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
mynamenotbob wrote:
If frictionless LPs returned, current frictionless antis would disappear overnight.

Quite right!! FL pips are more effective,less expensive and easier to use!!

Flantis are extremely expensive,poor durability and much less effective than FL pips.

Many current Lps would disappear.People would start complaining about close to the table defenders,websites selling treated pips would disappear- how nice!!.... And the shadow of cheating cast over defenders would be gone for good......
It is great to fantasize now and again :lol:

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2020, 02:56 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I suppose Old Man Huang would get legal equipment and could play in regular tournaments.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2020, 05:16 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
ootbs wrote:
mart1nandersson wrote:

umm... I'm not sure about that ... He was on the Pro circuit, even before the ban .. Infact, as I mentioned earlier, his best ranking was post the FLP ban ..

Plus, as Iskander said, most players in Top 50 or even Top 100, would not be bothered by FLP .... Even if Fabian would beat them, it wouldn't be entirely due to the use of FLP .. His game was more than just using the FLP as a crutch .. ... Sure, some players would take some time to adjust.. maybe, even lose the first set, or lose a point or 2, due to FLP effect, but by-n-large, not get beaten, simply due to FLP ..

Also, come on - Do you think, that pros didn't incorporate playing against FLP type players, into their intensive training sessions ... ? Gaining the know-how on how to play FLP would've probably occurred, way way before these guys even turned pro ..

I’m just quoting his coach (at the time during the junior worlds).

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2020, 06:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
I suppose Old Man Huang would get legal equipment and could play in regular tournaments.. :lol:

Iskandar

Quite right! :lol:. Also,the famous Dawei 388d1 would be a great option to consider; besides,El Toro and criminals would be acceptable too.
What a wonderful world!! :lol:

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2020, 21:28 

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango 1.8mm
BH: Tibhar Grass Detecs OX
Now when balls has become bigger and plastic, is there more difficulties playing with pimples than with 38 ball? I think ITTF should change those strict piple ratios, heights and so on because of the new ball.
You cant make really good pimples for that new ball. Manufacturers says that this pimple is made for new ball. Truth is there is not so much difference compering 5 years old model of pimples.

Soba

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 00:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Very true but they have to sell.It seems not easy to make a new low trajectory, disturbing lp . A Talon version with reduced speed would be enough. :)

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2020, 00:06 

movdqa wrote:

My question is: how much has the technology improved over twenty years? .

Not much has changed. Viscaria which is an old blade is still used by many pros and the most famous rubber - Tenergy 05 - is already more than 10 years old.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk