OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 01:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2020, 08:38 

TryHard wrote:
I’m with Iksander on the Sanwei M8. Tried a bunch of different blades (cheap and expensive) and this is my favorite. Perhaps Ill look for a faster blade at some point but this thing plays perfect in all the ways for me now. Also good for developing shots since it’s more controlled less fast, you can put more into it without losing control of your shot. I’m a two wing looping attacker and it works well for me.

I recommend H3neo on the FH and Friendship Focus 3 Snipe on the backhand. All of these are sold on Megspin, your shop of choice. On their website, search M8 b/c the M8 oddly doesnt show up if you select Sanwei blades. This is a good setup and will cost about $44 all together. I sold my $250 setup shortly after trying this. Some might say it’s slow but the legs and waist can create more power than any equipment can. This setup is about proper technique and power from the body.

If you want a more dynamic forehand rubber, H3 Neo Provincial is a good upgrade from the commercial H3N. Softer, spinnier and better at literally every shot. I think the one Megsapin sells is 39*. This one is $48 on Megaspin as opposed to the $20 commercial one.

$250 setup?? At that price it better be blessed by Ma Long himself

What I ended up buying was the Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive with H3N and xiom Vega pro. I haven't been able to actually try it out because all the clubs are closed but another blade is definitely something I have in mind. For backhand rubber what others do you recommend? I want to someday buy a cheaper rubber and compare it to a more expensive one to see if the price was worth it or not

And as a sidenote I thought people exaggerated when they said Chinese rubbers smelled like fish, the smell has even gotten into my clothes and the racket is inside its case

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2020, 00:28 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Given what they cost, buy one or two M8s anyway. Put some Chinese rubber on them (Palio AK47 Blue, Yinhe Big Dipper, 61 Second Eagle, Reactor Tornado V5... any of these would work, or Mercury II if you want to save even more money) and see what it plays like. If you like it, use it, if you don't, lend it out to friends.. :lol: Very little money involved.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2020, 10:21 

Blade: Pingskills touch
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Yinhe Moon Pro
BananaOG wrote:
$250 setup?? At that price it better be blessed by Ma Long himself

What I ended up buying was the Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive with H3N and xiom Vega pro. I haven't been able to actually try it out because all the clubs are closed but another blade is definitely something I have in mind. For backhand rubber what others do you recommend? I want to someday buy a cheaper rubber and compare it to a more expensive one to see if the price was worth it or not

And as a sidenote I thought people exaggerated when they said Chinese rubbers smelled like fish, the smell has even gotten into my clothes and the racket is inside its case

$140 for the blade and $100 total for the rubbers isn’t really too high on the price chart for setups. I’m sure there are lots of blades that would play fine for me, but what I like most about the M8 is how it feels in my hand. My coach told me that when I first started playing, but I still went with the $140 blade. Now I’ve come to see the wisdom.

Sounds like a decent setup you chose. Only the H3Neo commercial sponge smells that way. The others don’t. It goes away after a bit, but for 2-3 weeks your bag will smell nasty.

As for comparison of expensive and cheap rubbers, I’m sure each rubber is unique and has some pros and some cons. What matters is how they feel to you and whether they fit your play style and allow you to do the shots you want. I prefer the chinese ones because the harder sponge allows me more control over the speed of my shot and the tacky topsheet ensures I can generate spin on heavy and on softer shots and serves.

Just my $.02

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2020, 01:13 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The MAIN problem with cheap rubbers is you wonder what you're missing by not using expensive ones.. :lol: Which is why I've tried a good number of expensive sheets. Rasant, Rasant Turbo, MX-P, Rakza X, Rakza 7.. and the latest was Tenergy 05 (oh boy, was that expensive). I also tried stuff like AK-47, Reactor Tornado V5, Three Sword Red Dragon ("Better than Butterf-- Tenerg-" :lol: ), 61 Second Eagle, Big Dipper... and I've come to the conclusion that expensive rubbers don't really give me any advantage. I've not found any rubbers that are so fast I can't handle them, nor have found any that would have immediately increased my rating just by using them. Nor have I found any that have made playing more fun or produced greater accuracy or markedly more spin. I often can't really tell rubbers apart. But still, I buy them because.. well, why not? It's not like I'm starving and can't afford them.. :lol: But I've never bought the same expensive rubber twice.

Iskandar