OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 00:00 

Hi all,

Have you also noticed that anatomic handles seem to be much less popular than flared/straight? I haven't found a single professional player using an anatomic handle, are there any at all?

Do you use or have you tried an anatomic handle? What pros and cons does it have?

Thanks

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 00:54 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yup...

The ST handle seems more popular in Europe, and with choppers, while the FL handle is popular in China and the rest of Asia. The AN handle, I think, has these "bumps" that are supposed to sit between your fingers, but 1) it would only fit one size of hand if you really want the bumps between your fingers, and 2) you aren't supposed to hold the bat that tightly in any case.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 02:25 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
I play with anatomic handles on the Hallmark Ultra blades I use - and preferably on any blade.

Straight handles seem too slippery to me - when I was young, occassionally my bat used to slip out of my hand, and fly across the room - and most flared seem too narrow. Anatomic seems just right to me - the grip is mostly on my middle finger, with the others able to be loose if required

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 04:43 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Anatomic handles are the worst for me, give me RSI like pain in my wrist!

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

185g

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 05:28 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Some people don't find it as easy to spin with anatomic handles and prefer flared as the handle can slip a bit further down the grip to help generate more leaverage and therefore speed and spin. The flared part stops it slipping to far. Anatomical in my experience tend to stay in one place.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 12:34 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I must admit, I've never tried one. I've always played with flared handles. And back when I was making blades I never made anything other than flared handles. But I do have an anecdote to share - Bernard Hock was absolutely adamant that flared handles were no good - the only good handles, in his opinion, were straight. Wish I'd taken the opportunity to buy one of his blades when I was at that tournament - can't remember if it was in Evansville or Louisville.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 13:27 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
I have used the blade mentioned in my sig for many years. It is anatomic. I do change my grip somewhat between backhand and forehand as the pain in my wrist when I am expecting to play one but then end up playing the other will testify. I am perhaps the worst person to ask about this (or any other EJ type question as I stay with the same equipment for relatively long periods of time.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 01:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Incidentally, if you wanted an anatomic handle but can only find a flared one, I think a little friction tape wrapped around the middle would make a passable facsimile... Similarly, if you find your straight grips slipping out of your hands, about three winds of friction tape 1/2 inch wide at the base of the handle should fix that problem. Look up pictures of blades from the 1950s - 1970s - you'll find all sorts of handles you don't find these days, including leather-wrapped ones (Butterfly sold two - the English Style and the American Style). Lots of differently-shaped blades, too. Rectangular and trapezoidal blades seem to be out of fashion these days.

Iskandar