OOAK Table Tennis Forum


A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Sep 2020, 04:02


Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Equipment Advice
PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 06:48 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 12 May 2020, 06:36
Posts: 6
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Blade: TBC
FH: TBC
BH: TBC
Hi Guys,

First post here and I was wondering whether I could capture some advice from you all?

I'm open to all suggestions, being a relative beginner at the game I'm asking whether you can point me in the direction of a few materials that could be of use?

I'm at a point now where I am capable of maintaining relative control with a cheap $5 bat (Carlton Vapour Speed). I do not believe my direction of play has been completely determined yet, and I'm open to improving and diversifying my game with a new bat, however would prefer to move onto a custom made bat with decent rubbers and a blade.

1 - Forehand Rubber = My forehand game as of right now is quite diverse, I'm able to play decent flat strikes along with a good chop game. I would request advice for a rubber that can be used for improving a beginners game, but can keep up with the sharp rate of improvement which I anticipate to happen.

2 - Backhand Rubber = Backhands are currently not refined in an attacking sense, however chopping is quite strong and I can generate decent spin on defensive chops. If you could point me in the direction of a spinny backhand rubber that keeps an element of defensive control I would appreciate it.

3 - Blade = With blades I'm not really too sure what I should be looking for - if you can suggest a blade to compliment the suggested rubbers that would be perfect.

Overall Budget - $120

I thank anybody who responds in advance, I'm kind of waiting in the wings to kick on with this sport as my local club is on hold with COVID, but I CANNOT wait to get started!! :)

Rhys


Top
 Profile  
 


Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

 Post subject: Re: Equipment Advice
PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 07:46 
Offline
Full member
User avatar

Joined: 08 Oct 2019, 21:09
Posts: 71
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 14 times
Blade: Joola Carbon Pro
FH: LKT Rapid Speed 1.8
BH: Tibhar Grass D'tecs - OX
Not that specific but for about 70USD I would buy the following.
https://revspin.net/blade/stiga-allround-classic.html
plus 2x 1.7thickness of https://revspin.net/rubber/lkt-rapid-speed.html (though starting of thicker is a thing these days, I honestly think it's not needed)

The blade is great and can be kept for a long time. The rubber is also allround and will be enough until you've gone from beginner to intermediate and then up to advanced level. It's might not be specialized on what you mentioned but it is capable of doing so while being great for beginner level since it is a rubber that requests correct strokes. After the rubbers are worn out, just buy these again without questioning. Later on you can buy more expensive rubbers that you won't actually need to improve... is what I'd say to my old self as a beginner. (But back then it would instead have been the more expensive classic that is Sriver since this wasn't available)

But seriously my advice is to pick something allround instead of something specialized so early on. It'll hold back your growth... same for rubbers that are too fast.

_________________
~ Puttin' pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom. ~


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Equipment Advice
PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 13:20 
Online
Goes to 11
Goes to 11
User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2014, 20:27
Posts: 9609
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1173 times
Here's my suggestion (which I always post when we get enquiries like this, which seem to come about once a week):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1308156861.html

Image

$120???? No need. This is an excellent blade, and you'll find the rubbers are just about what you need. I've never heard of a "Carlton Vapor Speed", but if it's what I think it is (a Wal-Mart premade bat or something from a general sporting goods store), this racket will be a lot lighter and a lot livelier and will actually be of use. Is it the ONLY combo out there that's useful? No, but you'd end up spending a lot elsewhere for something that's very similar (and will probably end up being heavier, which might be good or bad but not worth worrying about). As to forehand and backhand rubbers - play with this for 2-3 months before thinking about that.. :lol: You may already have some balls but I'll mention this just in case - get some proper balls while you're at it. These are my favorite. Drugstore balls are usually crap.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33023060683.html

By the way, I'd avoid rubber with sponge thinner than maximum for now. That's specialist equipment. The ball is bigger than it was just five years ago. 1.5-1.7mm sponge was useful for beginners back when the ball was 38mm in diameter - it's 40+mm now.

Iskandar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Equipment Advice
PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 16:01 
Offline
Full member
User avatar

Joined: 08 Oct 2019, 21:09
Posts: 71
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 14 times
Blade: Joola Carbon Pro
FH: LKT Rapid Speed 1.8
BH: Tibhar Grass D'tecs - OX
iskandar taib wrote:
Here's my suggestion (which I always post when we get enquiries like this, which seem to come about once a week):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1308156861.html

Image

$120???? No need. This is an excellent blade, and you'll find the rubbers are just about what you need. I've never heard of a "Carlton Vapor Speed", but if it's what I think it is (a Wal-Mart premade bat or something from a general sporting goods store), this racket will be a lot lighter and a lot livelier and will actually be of use. Is it the ONLY combo out there that's useful? No, but you'd end up spending a lot elsewhere for something that's very similar (and will probably end up being heavier, which might be good or bad but not worth worrying about). As to forehand and backhand rubbers - play with this for 2-3 months before thinking about that.. :lol: You may already have some balls but I'll mention this just in case - get some proper balls while you're at it. These are my favorite. Drugstore balls are usually crap.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33023060683.html

By the way, I'd avoid rubber with sponge thinner than maximum for now. That's specialist equipment. The ball is bigger than it was just five years ago. 1.5-1.7mm sponge was useful for beginners back when the ball was 38mm in diameter - it's 40+mm now.

Iskandar


Wow, that's a great offer! And I thought I was being cheap. :lol:

_________________
~ Puttin' pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom. ~


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Equipment Advice
PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 17:21 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 12 May 2020, 06:36
Posts: 6
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Blade: TBC
FH: TBC
BH: TBC
Carpe Noctem wrote:
Not that specific but for about 70USD I would buy the following.
https://revspin.net/blade/stiga-allround-classic.html
plus 2x 1.7thickness of https://revspin.net/rubber/lkt-rapid-speed.html (though starting of thicker is a thing these days, I honestly think it's not needed)

The blade is great and can be kept for a long time. The rubber is also allround and will be enough until you've gone from beginner to intermediate and then up to advanced level. It's might not be specialized on what you mentioned but it is capable of doing so while being great for beginner level since it is a rubber that requests correct strokes. After the rubbers are worn out, just buy these again without questioning. Later on you can buy more expensive rubbers that you won't actually need to improve... is what I'd say to my old self as a beginner. (But back then it would instead have been the more expensive classic that is Sriver since this wasn't available)

But seriously my advice is to pick something allround instead of something specialized so early on. It'll hold back your growth... same for rubbers that are too fast.


Thanks for the advice!

Funnily enough this was the blade I was considering going for having read a lot of reviews on Revspin/ other TT review sites.

I've never ordered from Aliexpress - however friends have for "fake" goods. Are the rubbers/blades they sell legitimate? - I have noticed for example you can buy DHS NEO Hurricane 3 for about 1/3 of the normal UK market.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Equipment Advice
PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 17:24 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 12 May 2020, 06:36
Posts: 6
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Blade: TBC
FH: TBC
BH: TBC
iskandar taib wrote:
Here's my suggestion (which I always post when we get enquiries like this, which seem to come about once a week):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1308156861.html

Image

$120???? No need. This is an excellent blade, and you'll find the rubbers are just about what you need. I've never heard of a "Carlton Vapor Speed", but if it's what I think it is (a Wal-Mart premade bat or something from a general sporting goods store), this racket will be a lot lighter and a lot livelier and will actually be of use. Is it the ONLY combo out there that's useful? No, but you'd end up spending a lot elsewhere for something that's very similar (and will probably end up being heavier, which might be good or bad but not worth worrying about). As to forehand and backhand rubbers - play with this for 2-3 months before thinking about that.. :lol: You may already have some balls but I'll mention this just in case - get some proper balls while you're at it. These are my favorite. Drugstore balls are usually crap.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33023060683.html

By the way, I'd avoid rubber with sponge thinner than maximum for now. That's specialist equipment. The ball is bigger than it was just five years ago. 1.5-1.7mm sponge was useful for beginners back when the ball was 38mm in diameter - it's 40+mm now.

Iskandar


Thanks for the advice Iskandar!

I have browsed Aliexpress in the past few days - but having ever ordered from here I was slightly cautious.

I have also played recently with a Butterfly Paul Drinkhall 2000 which is not ITTF approved, and that was around £15.

Possibly I need to invest in a slightly more expensive blade with rubbers, maybe pressing toward an ALL style of play, if you have any other suggestions? I do want to move away from a premade bat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Equipment Advice
PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 19:31 
Offline
Full member
User avatar

Joined: 08 Oct 2019, 21:09
Posts: 71
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 14 times
Blade: Joola Carbon Pro
FH: LKT Rapid Speed 1.8
BH: Tibhar Grass D'tecs - OX
I can't help you with Aliexpress. I prefer to support the local shops when I do buy new stuff instead of doing so straight out of China for a few bucks less. But from what I've heard it's a mix on that site of fakes and genuin products since it's more of a selling platform that an actual shop.

_________________
~ Puttin' pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom. ~


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Equipment Advice
PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 19:46 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 01 May 2019, 12:52
Posts: 26
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Trust me, you don't need to spend more on a setup like the one mentioned above if you want to develop your game and play competitive table tennis. Of course, if you want to spend your money on a more expensive setup then go for it.

That m8 and 729 rubber combo is proper table tennis equipment that will allow you to produce good spin and adequate speed. Even if that were the only setup you ever used, you could still become a very good player and beat others using far more expensive equipment. I am reminded of that every now and then when our club gets the odd visiting chinese student who comes along to club night, grabs one of the cheapo club bats with cheap chinese rubbers like the ones mentioned and then proceeds to beat everyone else.

By the way, in my experience, those premade bats that are sold in sporting goods stores (and selling for sometimes twice as much as the m8/729 combo) are utter rubbish, even the ones by well known tabletennis brands with famous players on the packaging. They are useless, and I mean useless. Nothing like the proper equipment that those companies produce, and I don't know why they put their name to it.

Re Aliexpress - I have never had a problem, over the last couple of years having completed quite a few transactions. Just stick with the more well known stores like GH Sports, Ali Battleship etc and you will be fine. It can sometimes take several weeks for delivery though. Buying local is a good sentiment, but chances are that any local shops selling the type of stuff we have been discussing here simply get it off aliexpress or direct from china anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Equipment Advice
PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 21:21 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 12 May 2020, 06:36
Posts: 6
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Blade: TBC
FH: TBC
BH: TBC
Carpe Noctem wrote:
I can't help you with Aliexpress. I prefer to support the local shops when I do buy new stuff instead of doing so straight out of China for a few bucks less. But from what I've heard it's a mix on that site of fakes and genuin products since it's more of a selling platform that an actual shop.


Yes completely appreciate that side of it - I think if the difference in cost is minimal it is definitely worth getting it locally.

Thanks again for your advice!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Equipment Advice
PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 21:25 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 12 May 2020, 06:36
Posts: 6
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Blade: TBC
FH: TBC
BH: TBC
1shot wrote:
Trust me, you don't need to spend more on a setup like the one mentioned above if you want to develop your game and play competitive table tennis. Of course, if you want to spend your money on a more expensive setup then go for it.

That m8 and 729 rubber combo is proper table tennis equipment that will allow you to produce good spin and adequate speed. Even if that were the only setup you ever used, you could still become a very good player and beat others using far more expensive equipment. I am reminded of that every now and then when our club gets the odd visiting chinese student who comes along to club night, grabs one of the cheapo club bats with cheap chinese rubbers like the ones mentioned and then proceeds to beat everyone else.

By the way, in my experience, those premade bats that are sold in sporting goods stores (and selling for sometimes twice as much as the m8/729 combo) are utter rubbish, even the ones by well known tabletennis brands with famous players on the packaging. They are useless, and I mean useless. Nothing like the proper equipment that those companies produce, and I don't know why they put their name to it.

Re Aliexpress - I have never had a problem, over the last couple of years having completed quite a few transactions. Just stick with the more well known stores like GH Sports, Ali Battleship etc and you will be fine. It can sometimes take several weeks for delivery though. Buying local is a good sentiment, but chances are that any local shops selling the type of stuff we have been discussing here simply get it off aliexpress or direct from china anyway.


Some very good points raised, you truly mever know where your supplier is getting the goods from.

This is the exact advice I was hoping for as it precise and real - and I thank you for that!

I will have a browse from the aforementioned stores on the site - do you suggest any more trustworthy stores on Aliexpress ?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 


Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2018 OOAK Table Tennis Forum. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group