OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020, 10:20 

Blade: KTL Toxic 3
FH: 729 Battle 2 Max
BH: 61sec Lightning DS 1.8mm
Hello!

I'm currently chopping with a 1.8mm 61 second Lightning DS LST 38º rubber on my backhand, but I was wondering if there's a better rubber than that for a chopping style similar to Hou Yingchao (high variation, lots of sidespin).

I know he uses Spectol, but it's very expensive for me. I've tried 1.5mm 802 Mercury 3 short pips, but honestly it was really difficult to control, even on a Toxic 3, which is said to be really slow. So far, the Lightning DS (inverted rubber) has been the best. Thus, I have a few questions:

(1) I wonder if a 729 super FX large pores 1.0mm would be better. Or maybe a Globe 979 LP with 1.5mm sponge. What are your thoughts? Pros and Cons of each etc.
(2) Would I be able to put heavy backspin on pushes with the 979 1.5mm? Can it input enough sidespin to make the chops curve?

Thanks in advance! :)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020, 14:38 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Wait a sec. 729 Super FX Large Pores is inverted rubber. Spectol and 802 are short pips. 979 is long pips. WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU WANT?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020, 17:32 

Blade: Yinhe N9s cPen
FH: Yinhe Mercury 2 hard
BH: DHS Skyline 3-60
I think you're looking for a medium pimples rubber, good for chopping, blocking and even looping and spinning.

I've ordered Yinhe Pluto in March from AliExpress(1.8 mm), less than 6 $, yesterday I saw it arrived to Romania. I didn't tried it, but I heard a lot of good things about it and saw it on YouTube.

Once I'll test it, I'll give more details about it, maybe some videos. I play penhold with RPB and I'll try it for fun on my forehand, but I will glue it on a shakehand cheap blade, so that my friends could play with it against me :)

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020, 17:37 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
most SP or MP are a bit too fast for chopping unless well away from the table.

You could try Spinlord Degu 2 in thin sponge which is aimed at defenders - check you tube

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020, 22:45 

Blade: KTL Toxic 3
FH: 729 Battle 2 Max
BH: 61sec Lightning DS 1.8mm
Thank you all for your replies!

ChaosFox, Degu would be a good choice. Unfortunately, since I live in Brazil, SpinLord is quite difficult to find. I've had a look on megaspin and tabletennis11, but they don't have Degu atm, it seems. I'm more or less restricted to AliExpress. I guess the problem with the 802 was the sponge. From the forums I've heard that with the old standard orange sponge it chops well. Perhaps Mystery III was too fast.

Aurelian, Pluto seems interesting! But isn't it more attack oriented? Let me know what you think when you receive it =P

Iskandar, maybe it'll help if I describe better my BH chop.

I chop (and sometimes push) with an arm trajectory similar to a backhand serve. It's a crescent moon shaped sideswipe, but I start from the shoulder, go down to the lowest point and go up slightly when finishing the movement. That way I can vary the spin between heavy backspin, back+side and even float/top+side, according to the point of contact.

Inverted (currently Lightning DS LST) does this quite well, but I was wondering if a grippy long pips with thick sponge (such as Globe 979 1.5mm) would allow a similar amount of variation but with more control. Perhaps Curl P4, P1R and Feint Long 3 with thick sponge users/choppers would have some interesting insight on this. So, the questions that remain are:

(1) How much spin can a grippy thick sponged long pips impart on the ball?
(2) Can I do a heavy backspin push after the opponent pushes with no-spin/backspin?
(3) Can I do a heavy sidespin chop with LP that actually has a curved trajectory and that kicks to my left after the bounce (Sometimes my opponents actually miss the ball altogether, which is actually one of the most satisfying ways to win points :rofl: - along with forcing mistakes with spin variation)?

Last edited by fj2lin on 11 Jun 2020, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020, 23:27 

Blade: Yinhe N9s cPen
FH: Yinhe Mercury 2 hard
BH: DHS Skyline 3-60
fj2lin wrote:
Thank you all for your replies!

Aurelian, Pluto seems interesting! But isn't it more attack oriented? Let me know what you think when you receive it =P

Yes, I ordered it as an attacking weapon but it seems it's absorbing the power very well on chopping and blocking, and it's also very deceptive, while you can have it on different sponges, depending on your style.

I think short pimples on forehand are good for me as I struggle with my fast attacks, but I won't switch to SP or MP https://youtu.be/3hkYLsfed0w

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk