OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 May 2021, 19:52 

JulianTT wrote:
Iguana wrote:
Thanks for the overview. You are missing one variant, the Nittaku Hurricane 3 (without Pro).
The German Nittaku page says it is has a "Japanese Powersponge", Chinese topsheet (obviously), glued together in China.
https://nittaku.tt/collections/noppen-i ... urricane-3
Thank you for sharing. Actually that rubber has been discontinued which is why I didn't list it. I believe it's a predecessor of the Turbo rubbers.

Julian

That rubber is still listed in the newest 2021 Nittaku catalogue, along with both the Hurricane Pro 3 and the Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo rubbers.
The catalogue also lists the sponge hardness of all the different variants:
https://www.nittaku.com/products/catalo ... ml#page=11

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2021, 06:52 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
igorponger wrote:
The best affordabe stuff for gluing works, some 11 USD Per Litre bottle.
[tube]5tCJ1zh-_NY[/tube]

/Be happy/

Actually, the milky white liquid found in the bottle is a heveya tree latex soap preserved with an ammonia additive. Excellent adhesive power.

Oh yeah.. Igor and his latex body paint... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iskandar

Igor= victim of cheap vodka, banned may times..drunk all time

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2021, 00:07 

Iguana wrote:
JulianTT wrote:
Iguana wrote:
Thanks for the overview. You are missing one variant, the Nittaku Hurricane 3 (without Pro).
The German Nittaku page says it is has a "Japanese Powersponge", Chinese topsheet (obviously), glued together in China.
https://nittaku.tt/collections/noppen-i ... urricane-3
Thank you for sharing. Actually that rubber has been discontinued which is why I didn't list it. I believe it's a predecessor of the Turbo rubbers.

Julian

That rubber is still listed in the newest 2021 Nittaku catalogue, along with both the Hurricane Pro 3 and the Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo rubbers.
The catalogue also lists the sponge hardness of all the different variants:
https://www.nittaku.com/products/catalo ... ml#page=11
Ok but can you find any website that actually sells it? I couldn't. I can say without a doubt that those numbers are completely made up. That rubber is listed as 37.5° hardness?! On which scale? On the DHS scale it would be too soft and on the Nittaku one impossibly soft. The Turbo Orange and Turbo Blue are 5° apart but have exactly the same speed and spin numbers?? Forget it.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2021, 02:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

THE SUPER BRAIN
Ito Mima now using DHS Nittaku Pro3 (no factory boosters) as an exerciser to gain more muscular power on her forearm.
Coah Taiseo Matsuzaki devised this training metode by himself, from his super-brain only.

________
WE SECURE FAIRNESS

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2021, 18:39 

Blade: Darker Speed 90
FH: Tenergy 80
Best review I have ever read in my life!!!
Congratulations, JulianTT.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2021, 22:52 

Blade: Xiom 36.5 ALX
FH: Yinhe Big Dipper
BH: Yinhe Big Dipper
Thanks for all the information! I just started using Hurricane 3 NEO on my FH and i really like it! After reading this thread i was curious so i ordered two sheet of H3N and H3 to try.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2021, 16:38 

JulianTT wrote:
5. FAQ
Where to buy
Tabletennis11 is an online shop with a huge selection from all the big brands. They carry all the popular DHS rubbers including the Provincial and National varieties and they are the only retailer officially listed on the DHS website. They ship worldwide, but probably most convenient for those based in Europe. They also have a physical store in Paris. Good customer service, they will answer questions in a timely fashion and cater to special requests like certain weight ranges. Not all brands can be shipped to all countries e.g. Butterfly.

Aliexpress is a good place for Made in China products with free shipping to most of the world. There are many shops on aliexpress and your experience will vary depending on the shop. Some of the shops are affiliated i.e. different shop names (and prices, shipping rules) but the same business. They work with large volumes and standard orders and it's more difficult to get answers and special requests. The aliexpress platform offers overarching purchase protection and customer service but only through standard forms, you won't get any personalized assistance and the language barrier is a factor. I have had a good experience with Chinese PingPong and Toki Table Tennis Store which are the same business. XVT Table Tennis and XVT International Sporting Goods which I think are the same are also good. Eacheng is a big table tennis store with its own website, but they also have several storefronts on aliexpress: Ali Battleship, ALI Discount Store, DHS Pro. Table Tennis, GH Sports, Sports 100, NewNew Store, Happy Shopping 365days. Mixed experience with them. Playa PingPong Store is another fairly big one that I do NOT recommend. They have a big selection and often low prices but 1. they have proven very unreliable and 2. I have identified a number of fakes that they sell, like DHS prototype blades for the CNT. I do not trust a store that sells fakes because it makes you wonder.

And if you are in Australia, of course the OOAK Online Shop is a good option.

Lastly, DHS rubbers have authenticity codes that you can check here: http://www.dhs-sports.com/search.shtml

Rubber cleaning and maintenance
The best way to clean tacky rubbers like H3 is with a lightly damp microfiber cloth as soon as possible after a playing session. Wet a corner of the microfiber cloth then squeeze out any excess water. Lightly wipe across the rubber removing any dust and debris. If you want to get fancy you can use distilled water but it's not really necessary. Wave the racket dry and cover the rubber immediately with a non-adhesive protection film. Smooth the protection sheet with the heel of your hand, trying to remove all the air bubbles. Keeping the rubber covered in the absence of oxygen will help replenish the tackiness of the rubber between the training days. The longer you keep the rubber covered, the tackier it will become!

These protective sheets often come included with tacky rubbers, or you can buy them separately or make your own from any smooth soft plastic you have around the house like freezer bags or clingwrap. A microfiber cloth is superior to any table tennis cleaning sponge. Sponges are actually abrasive, even if they seem soft. Never use any foaming cleaners or cleaners that contain alcohol or ammonia on your rubber. Most commercial rubber cleaners are crap. I have never had a situation when I needed to use anything other than water.
Attachment:
Rubber protection sheet.jpeg

Is it true that the initial tackiness of the rubber wears off quickly after you start to use it?
No, that is not true. If you follow the recommended cleaning and protection procedure above, the rubber will stay very tacky. In fact, I often find that my rubbers become more tacky after a month or two of use than when they were brand new! You will find here a tackiness comparison video that I did in the beginning of this year. The H3 Neo that you see in that video is just as tacky now after 9 months.

Do H3 rubbers need a "break-in" period?
Various forum post claim that new rubber sheets need a "break-in" period of up to 10 days to achieve their best playing characteristics. That is nonsense. Consider this: top players commonly apply new rubbers every 1-3 days during tournaments. According to these geniuses, the top players in the world never achieve the full potential of their rubbers. How stupid of them, right? So no, new rubbers don't need a "break-in" period. What I suspect happens is the other way around, the player adapts to the new rubber and uses it more effectively, therefore thinking that now the rubber plays better.

Are H3 rubbers slow?
Some people feel that H3 is "too slow" and that is another misconception. H3 is a linear rubber meaning that what you put in is what you get out. Hit hard and the resulting ball will be fast, hit slow and you will get a slow ball. A more accurate statement would be that it's not bouncy, when you hit with a hard rubber like H3 you feel a solid contact. But it is plenty fast as demonstrated by the CNT. Besides, a lot more points are won with placement than they are with speed alone. If you shoot a fast ball directly at a good blocker, they will return it just as fast getting you in trouble. But if you draw them to one corner and place the next ball in the opposite corner, they will have no chance to return it even if you don't produce a fast ball. Another advantage of the H3 over bouncy rubbers is the service, making it easier to keep the ball low and short.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2021, 16:41 

JulianTT wrote:
3. Orange Sponge vs Blue Sponge
This is another huge area of debate. Facts: As explained above, DHS Hurricane 3 Provincial and National are offered with a choice of orange sponge or blue sponge. Both sponges come in classic and Neo flavors but the DHS designation is the same: #20 for orange and #22 for blue. This could indicate that the classic and Neo sponges are identical, except that the Neo sponges are treated with a booster or tuner at the factory, which is allowed by the regulations. The Neo sponges are faster and softer than their classic counterparts. The range of thickness and hardness is the same for the orange and the blue sponges, except that the blue sponge version is only offered with a black topsheet. Traditionally in China (and Asia in general) the black is the forehand side which could indicate that the blue sponge is meant for forehand. Another possibility is that the red Hurricane topsheet being semi-transparent, a blue sponge under it would make it look purple, which is not an allowed rubber color under ITTF at the moment (only red and black are allowed).

Common beliefs: "The blue sponge is better than the orange sponge" - Not true, they are different and a matter of preference. Not better, not worse. The blue sponge rubbers are more expensive than the orange ones. "The entire CNT uses blue sponge rubbers" - Not true, some use blue and some use orange. "The men in the CNT use the blue sponge, while the women use the orange sponge" - Also not true, some men use an orange sponge rubber and some women use a blue sponge. "All of the blue sponge Hurricane 3 sold commercially are fake because the real thing is reserved for the CNT" - Not true, blue sponge Provincial and National rubbers are legit and can be bought from authorized retailers. "The blue sponge Hurricane 3 that the CNT uses is completely different from the market version and we will never have it" - Umm commercially that makes no sense. DHS is a for profit company. Let's say that they spent much time and money on R&D to develop a superior product unlike anything else on the market. Then they keep it only for the sponsored players and forego the considerable profits they could be making? Right. It is true that the sponsored players each have a preferred hardness/thickness combination, some of which may not be commercially available. But that is likely the result of a selection or minor adjustments at the factory rather than separate production. For example Ma Long uses a 41.5 degrees blue sponge in 2.1mm.

The reality is that the orange sponge and the blue sponge both have advantages and disadvantages and in the end they are a matter of preference. If you take the CNT, some men and women play with orange and other men and women play with blue. Some players use both ath the same time - Ma Long uses blue sponge H3 on his FH and orange sponge H3 on his BH. A consensus seems to be that the blue sponge has more potential for spin but requires greater physical strength, while the orange sponge is faster and longer lasting. Some players say that the blue sponge version is harder than the orange one, but most seem to agree that it is or feels in fact softer than an orange sponge version of the same hardness. Please note that this assessment is given for the rubber-sponge sandwich and not just the sponge alone. Some players feel that the blue sponge has a "catapult" effect at higher speed, compared with the orange sponge which is more linear. It is also a common belief that the blue sponge versions are harder to control and require more skill. It has been also said the blue sponge has a stronger reaction to booster compared to the orange sponge. Boosting will be discussed separately. The blue sponge in the Nittaku Hurricane 3 Pro Turbo is Japanese-made and not the same as the DHS blue sponge used in Provincial and National varieties.

Do you agree or disagree? Let me know in the comments.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2021, 18:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
lele07: Why are you quoting?

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2021, 02:11 

I updated the info slightly after using orange and blue Provincial H3 for a few months on identical rackets. My findings in short:
- There is no difference in tackiness between the two or compared to the
regular version. They are all very tacky
- The blue sponge H3 is more bouncy
- They react to booster in the same way
- The blue sponge H3 possibly has a different topsheet, mine got scarred pretty easily and it had lost a good amount of grip after 6 months of use. I didn't notice that with orange sponge H3

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2022, 03:55 

What a thread! Wow! ...

I just received National Blue Sponge 39 from DHS Turkish Distributor.

I'm a defensive player, a chopper mainly ( w/ TSP Curl 1mm on DefPlay Senso V3 )

I have played with Neo Hurricane 3 in the past ( but Not the national version, the 20$ version ), I've also played with Victas 401, and Donic Baracuda. I can play with all of those on my FH.

Do you think this rubber would match well on DefPlay Senso V3 ( which is a defensive and slow blade) ?
Or would I be undermining this rubber by placing it on a defensive blade?

I'd like to know this before I try ( meaning cut the rubber to DefPlay's size ).

If H3 National 39 and a defensive blade is going to be a bad bad bad idea, what blades would you recommend that would reveal the best in this special weapon?

And if you are a LP player who uses this rubber, could you share your LP maker and mm you use along with the blade which you fix the H3 National on the other side?

Thank you

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2022, 18:12 

KindButcher wrote:
What a thread! Wow! ...

I just received National Blue Sponge 39 from DHS Turkish Distributor.

I'm a defensive player, a chopper mainly ( w/ TSP Curl 1mm on DefPlay Senso V3 )

I have played with Neo Hurricane 3 in the past ( but Not the national version, the 20$ version ), I've also played with Victas 401, and Donic Baracuda. I can play with all of those on my FH.

Do you think this rubber would match well on DefPlay Senso V3 ( which is a defensive and slow blade) ?
Or would I be undermining this rubber by placing it on a defensive blade?

I'd like to know this before I try ( meaning cut the rubber to DefPlay's size ).

If H3 National 39 and a defensive blade is going to be a bad bad bad idea, what blades would you recommend that would reveal the best in this special weapon?

And if you are a LP player who uses this rubber, could you share your LP maker and mm you use along with the blade which you fix the H3 National on the other side?

Thank you

What do you think of the Blue Sponge 39? I'm planning on getting one too, but haven't made up my mind yet.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2023, 04:43 
Super User

After countless testing of rubbers and blades over the years I've narrowed it down to only one rubber and 3 blades.

Red H3 Provincial 39 degrees for my backhand and black H3 41 degrees Provincial for my forehand.

My favourite blade is the TSP Versal balsa blade as its only weighs 60 grams but still fast with a hard feeling and really low throw which I prefer against incoming topspin.

2nd favourite bla de is the Butterfly Innerforce ZLC - though the throw is a bit higher,it produces excellent spin and speed.Weight is obviously heavier but not too bad.

Just put another two H3 Provincial rubbers on a Timo Boll ALC and going to try tomorrow.

The ALC from testing with other rubbers seems faster than the Innerforce ZLC with a lower throw but produces less spin.

Will let you know if I like it soon.