OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2021, 12:29 

Blade: Yinhe N9
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Focus Snipe 3
I am curious about my failure to adapt to my paddle - Yinhe W6.

I am a relative newcomer to table tennis - less than 2 years of recreational play, no coaching - usually playing just once a week (but on holidays now, so playing more). I am probably and ALL player as I am not aggressive (I like rallying for fun).

After migrating from the cheapest paddles possible, I briefly used the Yinhe / Galaxy N9 and was not bad at playing close to the table game, fast and with accuracy. (I like to hit the ball close to the net as consistently as I can)

But I wanted something lighter*, and wanted to improve my game. I picked up the fabled "loop master", and used the W6 for four or so months with H3 / Focus snipe combo.

I always had difficulty getting the ball low to the table with the W6. Instinctively my play style led the ball higher and easier to attack, or often descending beyond the end of their table.
Recently, for a couple of hits, I borrowed a friend's Primorac OFF- carbon. Straight away my shots were harder for the opponent to return, and I wondered why I was immediately hitting better with a paddle I'd never practiced (and why wasn't I adapting to W6).

After that experience, I started forcing myself to hit the ball with the W6 from a lower point than my intuition suggested, and closing the paddle more - striking the ball when it was below the height of the net, or even below the table. This led to some nice low shots but it felt counter intuitive and forced.

A couple of weeks ago I used my N9 - same rubber combo - because someone was borrowing the W6. Straight away, I was playing much more competitively, and the feeling was "natural" rather than forced.

It's true the N9 doesn't have the high arc the W6 had, but it still can loop. When I play with the W6 I feel handicapped, expecting to adapt to it, and develop, but that hadn't occurred thus far. Now I am happily using the N9.

I don't have good technique. I am still learning. But why not learn with a paddle that I perform better with rather than the one that many others consider "a step up"?

Based on the above, can anyone offer some insight into why I may have been not able to adapt to the W6? Or other thoughts.

*ironically, I just weighed my blades. The N9 is lighter - 81g! vs 82.3g for the W6.
I do have some video of me using N9 but not sure I want to make it public :P
I don't think I am an EJ.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2021, 13:46 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I'd suggest going even cheaper - get a Sanwei M8 (less than USD10 on AliExpress). It's a very light blade, and has incredible touch. Probably slightly faster than a Stiga Allround Classic. It's what I use. I had a W6 once, and I sold it. Too heavy for me. I used to play with the N11, problem was I couldn't get them in the weight range I liked after they switched to the N11s (it's pretty much the same blade with a different colored handle). The M8 was slower, and had a lot more control.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2021, 11:39 

Thanks for your reply Iskandar. I will probably stick to the N9 since I've got it already and it seems to work well.

I understand Sanwei M8s weight are in the 70s. But searching via google produces some interesting results (see attached). Ultra light!

Attachments:
sanwei m8.png
sanwei m8.png [ 15.37 KiB | Viewed 2112 times ]

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 13:21 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Weights will vary - I have some in the very low 70s, and a couple of heavy ones around 83 or 84. This is normal, even for very expensive blades. You can request blades in certain weight ranges if you have a good vendor - Eacheng (and its many doppelgangers on AliExpress) is very helpful in this regard. Useful if you want a matched pair (or matched half dozen, in the case of the M8, since it's so cheap).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2021, 18:57 

Blade: DHS PG-7
FH: H-3
BH: Palio AK47
Hi

I actually also use yinhe W-6 for 2 years as well.

The W6 is actually 5.6mm and N-9 is 6.6mm thickness.
(May be N-9 be slightly faaster than W-6?)

One issue potentially is Hurricane 3 rubber is totally different style of play compare to
euro style rubber.

You have to train yourself in terms of fitness and technique to loop to achieve the desire result
with H3 rubber.

It is a steep learning curve to go from euro style rubber to Chinese hard rubber.
( lots of thread already commenting on this)

You can try to use euro style rubber with W-6 and give it another try otherwise you
may have to learn to use the Hurricane 3 rubber properly but be willing to
give time to train for this style of play.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2021, 13:18 

davidw wrote:
Hi

I actually also use yinhe W-6 for 2 years as well.

The W6 is actually 5.6mm and N-9 is 6.6mm thickness.
(May be N-9 be slightly faaster than W-6?)

One issue potentially is Hurricane 3 rubber is totally different style of play compare to
euro style rubber.

You have to train yourself in terms of fitness and technique to loop to achieve the desire result
with H3 rubber.

It is a steep learning curve to go from euro style rubber to Chinese hard rubber.
( lots of thread already commenting on this)

You can try to use euro style rubber with W-6 and give it another try otherwise you
may have to learn to use the Hurricane 3 rubber properly but be willing to
give time to train for this style of play.

Thanks for your reply david.
I thought perhaps a slower blade had a steeper learning curve than a faster one.
You're right, my N9 is faster.
I'll just continue using it as it works better for me.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2021, 08:51 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
AFAIK W-6 designed for topspin loops. This style generally played a step away from the table. So it is very possible that W-6 is not for your own playing style. I do not suggest to insist playing with equipment that do not fit you.

PostPosted: 02 May 2021, 06:50 

Blade: Yinhe N9s cPen
FH: Yinhe Mercury 2 hard
BH: DHS Skyline 3-60
N9s is awesome.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 03 May 2021, 18:12 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I had a W6 once, but I sold it. What I didn't like about it was its weight, otherwise it played OK. I used to use the N11, but switched to the M8 because I found it had more control when it came to blocks and topspin drives. Probably because it was a little slower. I found the H3 to be a mite slow for my liking, even after boosting it to high heck - try something a little faster, such as 729 Super FX or AK47 Blue. Just because Ma Long uses it doesn't mean it's the best thing for lesser players, especially after you realize Ma Long's H3 is not the same H3 you can easily buy.

Iskandar