OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 07:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2021, 21:45 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
Is this a joke? the idea for dampening is great but a cork sheet should be fun. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Attachments:
Screenshot_2021-03-21 [BUTTERFLY] Table Tennis Racket Ping Pong Racket Cork Sheet Made in Japan n_O.png
Screenshot_2021-03-21 [BUTTERFLY] Table Tennis Racket Ping Pong Racket Cork Sheet Made in Japan n_O.png [ 314.39 KiB | Viewed 1896 times ]

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2021, 09:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Intended to be used on the "unemployed" side of JPen blade, that is not for striking the ball.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2021, 20:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

charmander defender wrote:
Is this a joke? the idea for dampening is great but a cork sheet should be fun. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you've ever looked at the back of expensive Japanese penhold blades there's usually a semicircular area of cork next to the handle, where you put your fingers. There's also cork covering the front side of the blade around the handle. If you use the blade for a long time the cork sometimes gets damaged or gets to the point where it's so grimy you want to replace it. This sheet is used for blade repair. They also sell rectangular blocks of cork for repairing the handles.

There was a time (pre-1959) when you could use ANY surface you wanted. Cork, sandpaper, bare wood, vellum, bare sponge... anything. Doubtlessly some people used cork, but pips out rubber became the default because it was so much better than anything else.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2021, 01:09 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:

If you've ever looked at the back of expensive Japanese penhold blades there's usually a semicircular area of cork next to the handle, where you put your fingers. There's also cork covering the front side of the blade around the handle. If you use the blade for a long time the cork sometimes gets damaged or gets to the point where it's so grimy you want to replace it. This sheet is used for blade repair. They also sell rectangular blocks of cork for repairing the handles.

There was a time (pre-1959) when you could use ANY surface you wanted. Cork, sandpaper, bare wood, vellum, bare sponge... anything. Doubtlessly some people used cork, but pips out rubber became the default because it was so much better than anything else.

Iskandar

Very good and informative post!! :) ...just wondered if we could use it for enhancing the dampening effect,.... though illegal, it should be fun to at least have a cork central part plus the rest of the sponge.Maybe somebody had this idea already but I guess people should have realised something was strange underneath the topsheet . It should be too noticeable .

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2021, 01:36 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Incidentally, bare wood was one of the four allowable surfaces in the 1959 rules. It was legal to use until relatively recently, and it didn't even have to be red or black until the two color rule (mid-1970s IIRC). A lot of people who grew up in that era played penhold, and used the back side of the blade, which was bare, as a change-up. If you've never played against it, you won't know what REAL spin reversal is like - nothing compares - not anti (or FANTI or GLANTI), not long pips, and I'll bet not even long pips with epoxy on the tips. And there are people who learned to play in that era that still do it.. and one of them plays in our Social Doubles. He uses it a lot, the problem is we've all more or less gotten used to it.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2021, 05:04 

Blade: Re-Impact Chevanti
FH: Spinlord Wyvern 1.8
BH: Trouble Maker ox
My current blade, the Re-Impact Chevanti, has two cork layers. It`s a composite blade with 9 layers. On the faster side the cork layer is on the second position and thicker as the one on the slower side which is on the fourth position. So the cork might speed the blade up. As far as I know most Re-Impact blades contain cork-layers. There used to be another German blademaker named Senkakujo who used cork layers but this one isn`t online any more.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2021, 21:07 
Super User

Is there anyhing more dampening than cork? I guess the amount of cork in a blade is limited?

If not, 90% of a blade would be made of cork,....

As for pips, for most dampening effect plus disruption the sheet has to be as thin as possible, the height of the pip , legal maximum ; the distance among pips the widest possible and a secret formula of the rubber mix for dampening, blocking effect .

That's why with the current regulations and the infamous plastic ball we will never find the save -your-life pip,... rather, start thinking of improving other areas in your game .

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2021, 23:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

CORK COATING :
-- TOTALLY LEGAL
-- OF DUBIOUS PLAYABILITY though.

Yes, a cork sheet may well be used as a constituent part of blade, whether in or out.
ITTF did found cork a legal stuff for use onto racket blades, as being a natural wooden material.

So far, no one has dared to take up such a cork-coated racket. It would be quite unplayable, I guess.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2021, 16:23 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Is there anyhing more dampening than cork? I guess the amount of cork in a blade is limited?

If not, 90% of a blade would be made of cork,....

As for pips, for most dampening effect plus disruption the sheet has to be as thin as possible, the height of the pip , legal maximum ; the distance among pips the widest possible and a secret formula of the rubber mix for dampening, blocking effect .

That's why with the current regulations and the infamous plastic ball we will never find the save -your-life pip,... rather, start thinking of improving other areas in your game .

More dampening than cork? How about cardboard? :lol:

Cork used between layers of wood in blades isn't necessarily for dampening, especially if it's in the middle (e.g. 729 Bomb) - it adds a shearable layer in the blade and allows the blade to flex.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2021, 04:42 
Super User

Cork is also used in the handle of some blades.I guess it helps to reduce to keep the weight low. I think there must be a limit somewhere in the regulations to use cork in a blade .
If someone was allowed to make a cork blade to compete,they would get a great dampening effect .An M8 with cork incorporated on the pip side should be an excellent experiment :lol: .At the time I liked the Fh side of the M8 but was not satisfied enough with the bh side for the pips .

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2021, 16:56 

I have two rackets from hte 50s that I inherited from my grandparents, which have pimples on one side and cork on the other side.

iskandar taib wrote:
Incidentally, bare wood was one of the four allowable surfaces in the 1959 rules. It was legal to use until relatively recently, and it didn't even have to be red or black until the two color rule (mid-1970s IIRC). A lot of people who grew up in that era played penhold, and used the back side of the blade, which was bare, as a change-up. If you've never played against it, you won't know what REAL spin reversal is like - nothing compares - not anti (or FANTI or GLANTI), not long pips, and I'll bet not even long pips with epoxy on the tips. And there are people who learned to play in that era that still do it.. and one of them plays in our Social Doubles. He uses it a lot, the problem is we've all more or less gotten used to it.

I still don't understand the current table tennis rules in this regard. The rules say that both sides of the racket must be coated with a rubber, but a side that is not used for striking the ball may be without rubber (for penhold).
But then striking the ball is allowed with anything. You can use your handle and even your hand (as long as it is holding the racket) to strike the ball. So obviously using the uncoated side of your penhold racket is allowed, too. But then the other rules says that if is used for striking the ball, it must be coated.
It doesn't make any sense. I guess the reason is that the rules for rackets and the rules for striking the ball were changed at different points in time, and the people didn't notice that there is an inconsistency.