OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: C-pen blade for an
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2021, 02:38 

Alas wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
kajetan wrote:
The decision has fallen,thanks to all. I will order

blade: Yasaka Sweden Extra c.pen
FH: Rakza 7 soft 2.0 or 1.8
BH: Rakza 7 soft 2.0 or 1.8

i think, for me it is important to have two same rubers to get them know well on both sides. If this setup will be too fast for me I will step down to Mark V on both sides, or Sriver EL.

I think I can keep this setup for years because I will stay at a local level and i will play only recreational tournaments.
Less speed and more control this is what I aiming for,this is also why I decided against the Yasaka Extra Offensive blade. Sweden offers more control and with combination of the semi-modern Rakza 7 soft rubber this combo should offer everything and A LOT of spin.

I'd get maximum sponge if I were you. No need to skimp, the ball is bigger and slower these days. The max sponge will help you develop more spin, and that will let you hit the ball faster. If you don't twiddle (why would anyone twiddle a bat like this? :lol: ) it won't make any difference if you use the same or different rubbers on each side. In any case, don't worry about whether the bat is adequate - getting a "better" bat won't help you win any more games at tournaments, nor will your bat hold you back in whatever tournaments you enter. Your playing level and how much and how well you practice is what will hold you back.

Iskandar
100% agree with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doesnt it mean that if you have max sponge you lose some control?question for both of us

Post subject: Re: C-pen blade for an
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2021, 02:51 

Alas wrote:
Congrats on deciding! Hope you feel good now. :)

LOL :P this sounds as "I finally got rid of you" ahhaha. :)
thanks man!

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2021, 07:21 

Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao II
FH: DHS Hurricane III NEO Pro
BH: Nittaku FastArc-G1
kajetan wrote:
doesnt it mean that if you have max sponge you lose some control?question for both of us

I think 1.8 is too thin as you reach potential for speed and spin too soon. It might feel easier to use and give you a sense of control at first, but that depends on how you define control.
I use more spin as a function of safety and control.

I’ve heard of people going thinner to get confidence back before switch back to thicker sponge.

Stick to 2.0 for a while and see how you adjust. If you lack confidence after those rubbers are through, you should consider change.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2021, 17:02 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Depends on what sort of control. What people worry about when it comes to sponge thickness is control over the table - mainly pushes and blocks. If it were 1995, yes, it would be a concern. Back then the ball was 2mm smaller, and lighter. No one (including top players) used more than 2.0mm sponge. These days the ball is bigger and heavier, and much easier to control, especially over the table. Thicker sponge also INCREASES control when doing topspin drives - it adds spin, and the more spin you have, the faster you can hit the ball before you miss the table.

In the past they told beginners to start with 1.5mm sponge, and never use more than 2.0mm. This was sound advice - back in 1995. These days you can't even get sponge thinner than max with a lot of rubbers - and most of these are cheap "beginner" rubbers. As long as you don't get one of those overly fast carbon blades, you should have plenty of control with thick sponge.

Iskandar